Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Waterproofing ICE Antenna Impulse Suppressors  (Read 963 times)
N8EUI

Ignore
« on: October 24, 2009, 07:27:34 AM »

Hi there,

I'll be installing my ICE impulse suppressors outside, next to my coax entrance at my house.  Do I need to waterproof the suppressors?  Should I run a narrow bead of silicone around the perimeter of them?  Or should I install the suppressors in some kind of enclosure?  I'll be mounting the suppressors onto the ICE mounting fixture.  The mounting fixture is a piece of aluminum bar stock with threaded holes for attaching the suppressors onto it.  The suppressor/fixture is then mounted directly onto the top of my 5/8" ground rod.  Any helpful suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom, N8EUI
WS4E

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2009, 04:03:51 PM »

Use a NEMA enclosure and mount them to a copper plate, which is also connected directly to the ground is the best thing to do.    This gets you started on putting in what people call a "SINGLE POINT GROUND" system which is a good thing to shoot for.

Get a box that will hold two of the ICE units because you know...once you have one antenna....your gonna want another. Smiley

DX Engineering has some nice ones, I used one almost exactly like what they have....I ordered a pack of the waterproof cable feeds from them that they use on their boxes and they work great.

http://www.dxengineering.com/Products.asp?ID=212&SecID=112&DeptID=19

Their box is not a bad price, but I found one surplus that worked for me.
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 07:50:07 PM »

Commercial tower sites (And my own and many other hams) Have the "Single Point Ground" panel just INSIDE the building where the coax enters the building, So no type of weatherproofing is needed.

If you put it outdoors, The idea of some type of waterproof box is a good one. Make the box & panel large enough for future arrestors.
KF6A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2009, 11:43:04 PM »

I'm using I.C.E. suppressors mounted on their bus bar and installed directly on a ground rod. I built a little wooden box to house them but it is not waterproof, it just keeps it out of the direct weather.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: