Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: AB5IG Was Not Truthful In His EBay Description!  (Read 26135 times)
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2014, 06:34:28 PM »

Kenwood R-2000 HF Shortwave Communications Receiver in nice working condition

Nice working condition... you had an air tight case for an item that was not as described.
KM4AH

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2014, 05:58:58 AM »

As I said, "at least it was."  As far as an agreement, yes.  The two parties can reach an independent agreement, but I was referring to the seller not agreeing to any compromise, something that--again--used to be the case, but isn't any longer.  Guess I've been away from E-bay a bit longer than I realized.  

My bad because I didn't explain myself better.  73.

Might try knowing what you are talking about before you quote and respond to a post.
ND8K

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2014, 12:26:47 PM »

I am going to try one more time although I might be wasting my time. He bid BEFORE you did. He knew what he was willing to pay for it while you got caught up in the moment and made a bad decision. Nobody made you do that, You did it on your own. You just don't seem to be able to be accountable for your own actions. You will always want to blame it on someone else. Maybe you need to grow up a little.

As someone posted long ago:

Never bid until the last 3 seconds of the auction.
KG8LB

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2014, 08:08:24 AM »

....A seller can say "as is" until he is blue in the face and if he says it works and it doesn't eBay will give you your money back every time. Learn the policies.

Matter of fact if he never gives you authorization to return it they will refund your money whether you return it or not.

You say learn the policies, but you ignore the fact that E-Bay insists (or used to, anyway) that unless an electronics item was new, in the package, it was sold 'as-is.'  It depended on the sellers wording of the auction.  In this case, the buyer did have a claim, but as far as filing a claim and getting "some" of the money spent back, (as someone else said) forget it.  It could either be returned and the money refunded--or kept 'as is.'

Not at all true regarding the As-Is line . Many less than honorable sellers  give a glowing description then try to hide behind the As-Is line .
  That does NOT often work on Ebay . An ambiguity in the sellers description will work against him . If the seller claims it works , it needs to work correctly . Even if the seller reveals that it doesn't work then goes on to say the paint is perfect and it turns out there are flaws in the paint ...the buyer has a claim . The as-is means nothing if the description does not match the item . In fact , in many cases , eBay will compel the seller to pay return shipping costs in the event of outright fraud .
    No system is perfect but eBay sees it all and they are on to scammers othe selling and buying .

When the seller offers a return policy , the buyer needs to follow the conditions . The conditions are in the description in plain view before you bid . Beware of weasley worded descriptions as well .  If you have any questions , get answers before you bid . Last minute bids are rarely shill bids . Shills try to run up the bids early , Most savvy bidders bid late and it is easy to see prices quadruple in the last few seconds . These are not SHILL bids .

If the buyer screws up by not asking questions or knowing the terms , that is his own baggage . Man up , learn from it and get on with your life .
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: May 29, 2014, 08:34:40 AM »

Don't put your explanation of my words down as what I said.  I'm not at all saying that if a unit doesn't work nothing can be done about it.  What I'm saying is that used electronics are (or were) sold as is, and if working (depending on the auction explanation of course) were not able to be returned because it wasn't up to the buyers expectations.  Another thing, 'golden screwdrivers' aren't only in the hands of sellers, you know.
K9XR

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: June 01, 2014, 10:56:36 PM »

I've bought and sold a lot of stuff on eBay and I keep hearing about this eBay "rule" that all electronics must be sold as is. I see guys refer to it all the time, but I can't seem to find that in the eBay seller rules. can someone please tell me where it is?

Don't put your explanation of my words down as what I said.  I'm not at all saying that if a unit doesn't work nothing can be done about it.  What I'm saying is that used electronics are (or were) sold as is, and if working (depending on the auction explanation of course) were not able to be returned because it wasn't up to the buyers expectations.  Another thing, 'golden screwdrivers' aren't only in the hands of sellers, you know.
MAGNUM257

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2014, 05:25:13 PM »

I Cant believe I missed this thread, the "usual suspects" have chimed in as usual and made it very entertaining.

I agree with the author that there may be some question as to the condition of the receiver and weather or not the seller new about it, but there is no question that the author has no idea how the bidding process works on eBay. The "shill" entered his max bid of 350.00 a day before the author bid every thirty seconds until he out bid the "shill".

No clue....
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2014, 07:00:43 AM »

Once the seller describes the unit as being in nice working condition, he is bound by that statement.  EBay would have honored a not as described dispute. Setting eBay auction to no returns accepted does not protect the seller from a claim! Selling as is or for parts goes out the window if the seller states the radio is in good working condition.

BUT: the claim should have been filed, and a resolution sought with the seller. Once the radio is opened and played with by the buyer the seller has no idea how much further damage was done by prying fingers.

Buyers have the upper hand on eBay. Sellers are expected to keep their buyers happy and amused. I sell and buy on eBay, and you have to play by their rules.

Pete
KU5Q

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2014, 04:48:02 PM »

I just won a Kenwood R-2000 from AB5IG a couple of weeks ago. It arrived functioning, but not to spec. I just opened the case to inspect and found the radio has been spiked, probably by lightning. The back of the 110v socket is burned and melted, and there is soot everywhere. I cant hardly believe he didn't notice this. I paid a premium price for this radio, thanks to a suspected shill bidder that came in and doubled the high bid at the last min and then disappeared, Radio Mart style. Since Ebay has hidden all bidders names, you cant hardly watch for shill bidding. Right now Im trying to decide if I want to file a claim with paypal, or see if the radio can be saved by a repair shop. I already have $350 invested, plus $31 shipping to a repair shop. What a bunch of BS...

I know this guy, and he's s good person. Live in the same town. What you describe is out of character in my experience with him. Lee is a shrewd business man, but not a theif. I hope the mods delete this thread. It's bullshit. If you have a problem with him, be a man and deal with him "one on one". Certainly more than one side to this story. I''m certain.
W9BKR

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: July 21, 2014, 03:38:55 AM »

Well, not sure if I am missing something here.  If the item wasn't as described in the auction, file a claim.  If the item wasn't in the condition described, return it and obtain a refund.  If the other two situations won't work for you, then spend extra  dollars on it, repair it and keep it.  I got a radio from KC2VXM recently that had obvious internal damage (burned components) that possibly he didn't realize, but I sent him info and the repair facility synopsis of the unit.  He never paid for the repair either.  I was stiffed for over 200 bucks.  Not much I could do, it had to be repaired to properly operate. 
KC7MF

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2014, 04:46:39 PM »

I am very puzzled by the thread.  No doubt it was disappointing to get a messed up radio.  Got that.  What you should have done was written there and could not have been more clear.  You should have contacted him for resolution.  That is solely your responsibility.  Should he have checked the radio better?  Perhaps.  But that is completely irrelevant.  YOU should have returned it for a refund.  If you had asked him he might have even paid the shipping.  Because you went off half-cocked you will never know. 

We don't know what the seller knew and we do not know how he would have handled it.  All of the presumptions that he would have tried to screw you are just nonsense.

You sent it out for repair before contacting the seller.  Something similar to this happened to my brother with an item he sold.  The purchaser claimed that it didn't work then tried to charge my brother (he seller) for the repair through PayPal and Ebay.  The claim was denied because the purchaser did not follow the correct procedure.

Pay for your repair and be more careful in the future.  Then think twice about besmirching the reputation of a fellow ham without even giving him the opportunity to make it right. 
KU7PDX

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Yesterday at 10:28:52 AM »

Since it was over 7 months ago at this point - we are well beyond the eBay and Paypal period for refund.

Chris - KU7PDX
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: