Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ocean State Elecronics Unreliable  (Read 1211 times)
AE6WA

Ignore
« on: February 26, 2007, 07:45:56 PM »

I ordered parts from Ocean State Electronics in January. One item was missing. They have promised multiple times after speaking on the phone and via email to rememedy the situation. They have not acted after a month. I finally filed a complaint with the Better Business Bureau which I don't realy expect resolution. They have an interesting catalog, too bad that they are unreliable and unresponsive.

Mike AE6WA
HA6SST

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2007, 10:23:14 AM »

A friend of mine, HA5RXZ, tried to send them a $200 order and after three attempts he was told that they do not ship outside the USA. There are also other stories about Ocean State that do not make happy reading.

Maybe they do not want our business.

HA6SST
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2007, 02:16:45 PM »

hi mike,

did you use a credit card (not a check/debit card) ?

You can give the card issuer a call and have them
look into it, this may get Ocean to ship the parts.

73 james
AE6WA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2007, 05:38:17 PM »

I want to keep the problem with Ocean State Electonics current. They still have not made good on an order make three months ago. They seem to be absolute dead beats when it comes to correcting mistakes that they made and told me that they would remedy.

...Mike AE6WA
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2007, 03:17:30 PM »

I placed an order in December, followed it up with a phone call (unanswered, voice mail message left) in January and then dropped the issue because they hadn't charged my credit card.

They just called back this month to tell me everything was backordered and the order would go out in a couple of days !?

I do want the parts and they are hard to find anywhere else, so I said that was fine.  I will report back with actual end results of the transaction.

I won't ever order from them again, but maybe I can get my parts.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
AE6WA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2007, 06:40:04 PM »

Current status on Ocean State Electronics: they remain deadbeats.
I have filed a complaint with the Rhode Island Better Business Bureau. The bureau responded to me that they have no responses from OSE, DUH!. The BBB gave them until March 27 to respond.
So what I expect at the end of the day is that I am out money and OSE will continue duping others as they have been for some time. Few people look at the BBB before they place an order so they won't care.

If I were local I might take them to small claims court but they are 3000 miles away. I suspect that even if they were local I would get a judgement and they would ignore it as they would not show up.

Mike AE6WA
N3OX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2007, 06:53:29 PM »

I did finally get most of my parts.  I'm still waiting on some 1000pF silver mica caps, but they acknowledged on the invoice that they're still backordered and will be sent when they come in.

I'm still not going to order from them again.  So dumb.

AE6WA, I hope you get your parts; they seem to have had a huge crisis in December and just weren't shipping anything... it's a ridiculous way to run a business, but maybe you'll get your stuff someday.

Dan

Dan
http://www.n3ox.net

Monkey/silicon cyborg, beeping at rocks since 1995.
KT3D

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2007, 08:55:06 PM »

In November 2006, I placed an order with the company.  The order got placed twice due to problems with their computer even though I called them and was told the order had been received only once.  They also billed me twice for something sent only once.  I sent them an email on 11/4/2006 detailing the problem.  They said they would call, but didn't.  After many attempts, I got through to them on the phone and was told to send the extra items back for a refund.  On December 8, 2006, I mailed the items back to them.  I never heard from them.  So again after many attempts, I finally got through to them on the phone sometime in early February.  I talked to Frank, who I understand is the owner.  He found the package, unopened in their receiving room.  He promised they would have my refund applied to my credit card account the next day.  Over a month later, I still have not heard from them, nor has my credit card account been credited.

It looks to me like they are just thieves and incompetents.  I've contacted the Better Business Bureau, but I don't expect much from it.  Everyone should complain to them so they build up a file on Ocean State.

I am also planning to file a complaint with the Rhode Island Attorney General's Consumer Protection Unit.
AE6WA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2007, 02:38:28 PM »

Keep up the pressure, maybe you will do a service for all of us. There is something definitely wrong at Ocean State Electronics. Their is an old saying translated from Italian that says:
"The fish stinks from the head."

If I lived in Rhode Island I might try small claims court. It would be a fun to learn how to exercise that right anyway.

....Mike
K8MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2007, 06:18:48 AM »

If you are looking for small electronic parts, I have always found what I am looking for in one of these three catalogs.

MCM

Dalbani

Mouser

Mouser is my favorite.  

I think they all sell on the Internet now.  Mouser has a great on line catalog and ships fast.  There prices are great!

NA6M
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2007, 07:51:03 AM »

Did you pay with a credit card? Call your card issuer and file a charge back claim. I've had to do this a few times in my online buying career and it got their attention every single time. I either got what I ordered or my money refunded.
AE6WA

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 01:04:46 PM »

Just an update on Ocean State Electronics. The Rhode Island Bettter Business Bureau has not been able to contact them about my case. The BBB has put a ding on their record and informed me that they have given up.It seems that OSE are truly dead beats.

Mike---AE6WA
KE4RWS

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2007, 05:54:09 PM »

Unfortunately, the BBB isn't what it once was in older days. Way back before the online craze took over, things were very different from what they are today. Most online businesses could care less what you report to the BBB, as they simply don't carry the clout they once did Sad
KT3D

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 08:31:40 PM »

Good news.  I heard from the Rhode Island Better Business bureau that Ocean State had settled my complaint.  I checked my credit card account and they have, indeed, refunded the money they owed me.
KE4RWS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2007, 05:46:51 PM »

As others have already said, you could have just filed a claim against them yourself through your own credit-card company and not even bothered with the BBB.

In either case, I'm glad you were refunded!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: