About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: USPS  (Read 1358 times)
N2UM

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2007, 01:35:21 PM »

I purchased a radio from a fellow ham nine days ago.  The price included shipping so I didn't give it a thought. I live in upstate New York and he lives in Florida.  He shipped the radio via USPS Parcel Post.  It still hasn't been delivered.  It's insured but there is no way to track or even know where the package is sitting. Not to mention the condition of the package.

What I'm getting to here is that just for the sake of saving a few dollars for shipping, the frustration of waiting and not knowing what's happening by the buyer is not worth it.

Be kind to your fellow ham and ship whatever you sell by a reliable and "trackable" method.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2007, 07:24:31 AM »

Better yet, when you buy make sure to ask how it will be shipped and be prepared to pay the extra cost if you want it to go by UPS or FEDEX. Cost difference over parcel post can be quite significant.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2007, 02:51:19 PM »

hi,

also let the shipper know that double box means box it and then use an outer box.  I requested this and the seller just sent two boxes !  

I think the UPS crew were hams, otherwise the gear would have been a total loss, any claim would have been declined because package standards were not followed.

73 james
CAPNROB97

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2007, 05:12:12 PM »

I always request FedEx for shipping.

Not sure if it is just a problem in my community, but both UPS and USPS have left packages with my correct address on it at neighbors houses, luckily I know most of my neighbors and they bring it over to me.

Fedex has yet to mis-delivery a package to me, all house addresses are clearly displayed above our garages...
K0RFD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 02:22:22 PM »

I've never had a lick of trouble with USPS, but I never ship Parcel Post.  The cost differential between Parcel Post and Priority is too small to NOT use Priority.
KD8CGF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2007, 04:56:24 AM »

I recently exchanged emails with a ham who sells small kits for various uses in ham radio.   He mentioned he has stopped sending his material by the USPS & uses UPS or Fedex all the time.  This was due to some kind of scanning device used by the USPS that had been damaging the IC's he had been sending, he just referred to the process as "killer death rays."   I did a brief search on Google for USPS mail scanning & radiation & couldn't find anything about it.
   Does anyone know more about this?   For small items the USPS provides the fastest/cheapest shipping of anyone.
MAZZ1232002

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2007, 07:33:42 PM »

I own an antenna company, not important which one. We have been shipping with the USPS using their priority mail service since sometime in 2000. During all those years they have not lost one parcel and many were shipped around the world. As for damaged parcels, I can count them on my left hand not including my thumb.
   In the beginning we used UPS exclusively and every other parcel was damaged. Many times we had to send a customer an new boom, yes they paid for the damage but they still caused us major headaches replacing all the stuff they damaged.
  I have no experience using parcel post service so I cannot comment but priority mail is slightly more expensive. I will never ship our products any other way unless a customer requests another carrier and has an account number with them.
KE5LDO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2007, 07:10:49 AM »

Parcel post takes up to three weeks to go 200 miles to my location.  I have a man in a rowboat that can go over LAND faster than that.
KD8CGF

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2007, 09:33:21 AM »

My experience differs greatly from yours.  I placed an order for a very small kit from 130 miles away & got it in 2 days by USPS.  UPS takes a minimum of 10 days to reach me from anywhere.
KG4YJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2007, 09:56:40 AM »

The USPS does seem to treat packages better than UPS or FedEx but their tracking system effectiveness and technology seems to be stuck in the 70's.
Avoid DHL perriod. If somehow your package gets to your town a few days ahead of schedule they'll intentionally let it sit in their local warehouse until the day it was supposed to arrive. They tell you "tough luck, it will be delivered on the day it's supposed to, no earlier" when you call customer service and ask why it's been sitting somewhere in the same town you live in for three days per the online tracking.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2007, 12:28:57 PM »

I've shipped probably 200 small packages via USPS first class in the last two years. From the east coast to the west coast takes 3 or 4 days most of the time. I can save a couple of days going UPS but it will cost three times as much ($15 in lieu of under $5). The only time I had a problem was when several packages got wet and the ink on the address lables got smudged and unreadable. From that I learned to put a piece of clear package tape over the label. No problems since.

The paperwork for UPS can also become a burden when your are shipping numerous packages. Now if I'm shipping a larger package of several hundred dollar value it goes via UPS and I let the people at Mailboxes, etc. wrap it up to get the damage insurance.
W1DFT

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2007, 05:00:35 AM »

You CAN track USPS either Parcel Post or Priority Mail <IF> you insure it for at least $50.00.  Your tracking # is printed on the insurance receipt you get from the Post Office.  I always then eMail that # to the receipiant.  Dave
KB5DPE

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 02:45:23 PM »

"Avoid DHL perriod."

I just used DHL for the first time the other day.  Was very pleased with their service,  Followed the package to its destination without a hitch and their rates are much better than most of the others.  Customer service people that I spoke with are, by far, the most courteous and most competent of any company I've used.  In my opinion, UPS has priced itself out of the market.  From now on I will use DHL.  I have no connection with DHL or any other shipper.
Tom
KB2HSH

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 19, 2007, 02:19:37 PM »

DHL.

Ordered items recently from ThinkGeek.com.  It was DHL'ed to me in 2 days.

BTW:  USPS from Parker Colorado to Buffalo NY: 2 days.

UPS from Plano Texas to Buffalo: 8 days.

I avoid the Universal Pounding Service whenever possible.

HSH
DAVIDVD59

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2007, 05:39:08 PM »

Nearly everything I send is USPS Priority Mail, and I do not use bulk rate, and I try to affoid UPS like the Plague. The reputation for damaging packages is catching up with them. I have never had an issue in over 200 packages by USPS Priority mail all over the country. I sent one by bulk mail it took 9 days to arrive verses 3 for Priority mail.
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: