Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SteppIR  (Read 523 times)
K6CKD

Ignore
« on: March 03, 2005, 08:20:57 AM »

Can antone give me input on this 3 ele. yagi?   I am
mainley interested in reliability.  Lots of motors.
Lots of moving parts.  It is hard for me to get the antenna down once it is up.  Is it a good choice?
Give me the good,  bad and the ugly.  Much appreciate
any input.  73s  Bob  K6CKD
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 08:29:25 AM »

Nobody has any problem with the motors.  In the 3L, there aren't "lots" of motors, there are three.

The only problems I've heard about at all with the SteppIR yagis (or their verticals) is the in-shack control box, which evidently can fail if the control line between the box and the antenna becomes shorted.  That's kind of a silly failure, since a fuse or two would protect the box -- maybe they've added fusing recently.  

But the only SteppIR failures I've heard of, over the past few years they've been on the market (and a lot are in the field, including several very close to me), have been the control boxes.  That's easy to get at, since it goes in the shack.

WB2WIK/6
WB6BYU

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 11:55:18 AM »

The fact that you can retune it to any frequency in the
range WITHOUT removing it from the mast may be a very
big plus in its favor!
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 12:46:39 PM »

<< Can antone give me input on this 3 ele. yagi?>>

Have you read the reviews? There are a bunch of them in the review section.

Lon
K6CKD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2005, 08:14:03 PM »

I looked at the product review,  under HF yagi antennas and did not see any SteppIR info.  Please tell me where you found the review.  Thanks,  BOB
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 11:53:46 AM »

You have to look under the name of the company, not the name of the product: The company name is Fluid Motion.

http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/3858
http://www.eham.net/reviews/detail/1833

WB2WIK/6
N8BOA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 03:59:45 PM »

You would think lightning may take out the motors I had a Qso with someone using a stepir and he said this is not the case if you remember to retrack the elements to make it a smaller target in this respect maybe it's a more reliable then normal yagis
Sean
N4ZZK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2005, 07:43:44 AM »

Lots of Steppir information from owners on the Yahoo group for Steppir antennas.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/SteppIR/

73, Al

P.S. I have the 4 el, pix on my web page at:  http://www.mindspring.com/~n4zzk/
K8AC

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2005, 02:15:16 PM »

Actually, there aren't many moving parts.  Besides the motors, the only moving parts are the copper/Be tapes themselves (total of 6). The motors appear to be very durable.  The unit most prone to failure is likely the indoor controller.  It would be a good idea to apply appropriate lightning protection techniques to the 12 wire control cable at a common ground panel where the cable enters the house.  I had a failure in my controller (the board that interfaces with the transceiver) after a couple of months of operation and FluidMotion replaced the board quickly under warranty.  I wasn't required to send in the controller and it took only a few minutes to replace the board.  There is an option you can buy with the 3 element called the "Boom Slide" which would allow you to remove any of the elements for service while the antenna is still on the tower.  It isn't easy, but it can be done.  I believe there is sufficient capability in the controller that you could identify a failed stepper motor quickly.  
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: