Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Van Gorden G5RV with MFJ 901B?  (Read 493 times)
VK2TXB

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2005, 04:40:05 AM »

Hello all,
I came across a good deal for the V. Gorden G5RV and also a mfj 901B. Will this combo work well together and also will the 901B be able to hook up to 450 ladder line? I am wanting to build some projects with 450 LL and I am not too sure if I can use this twin line with the 901B, the info only says random wire (singular?). So any feedback would be greatly appreciated before i part with my money!
Cheers
VK2TXB
Andrew
WW5AA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2005, 11:15:47 AM »

From MFJ online catalog.

MFJ's smallest and most affordable 200 watt PEP Versa Tuner. Match dipoles, vees, random wires, verticals, mobile whips, beams, balanced and coax lines continuously from 1.8 - 30 MHz. A 4:1 balun for balanced lines is built into this MFJ-901B tuner.

73 de Lindy

WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2005, 04:28:25 PM »

It will accept balanced line.  Whether it will "work well" is a different issue!

The 901B is a tiny little tuner than can't accept much power under the best conditions, and will accept less under high mismatch conditions.  The G5RV usually creates a high mismatch condition on some bands.  A "larger" tuner with larger and higher-Q components (and higher voltage rated capacitors!) is usually a better choice for a G5RV antenna.

WB2WIK/6
VK2TXB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2005, 06:47:58 PM »

Thanks for info guys!
I didn't need the online sales info though! hi hi! Anyway, what is a good size tuner you guys would recommend that does what I need and is not too expensive? Is there a MFJ one that would be good (I know what most people think of MFJ, but I have a budget!) I plan on building some wire antennas such as a 80 metre loop and other dipole using both coax and 450 ladder line, so I need something that will match up these type of feeds/antennas.
Cheers
Andrew
VK2TXB
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2005, 10:13:11 AM »

The MFJ 949E is probably the "minimum" tuner I'd bother with.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: