Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High Sierra customer service  (Read 5954 times)
AK4QA

Ignore
« on: October 02, 2008, 09:46:35 AM »

Thank you for taking the time to read this.

My name is Lee George, KE4VYN and I received a High Sierra Sidekick antenna from a friend.

The first time I spoke with someone at High Sierra I was a bit put off by the 'curtness' of the conversation.  However, I did need some High Sierra  only supplies so to order from them was a must.

Due to something out of High Sierra control and completely due to the shipper, UPS( who I would not trust to ship DIRT!) my order was delivered to wrong address, refused, citing 'customer did not want' and subsequently returned to High Sierra.

Not that the UPS driver was at wrong address and after driving my package around for (5) FIVE DAYS sends it back.

I contacted Jim, W6LG at High Sierra and told him the package was not delivered.  He worked with me on a HOURLY basis to get UPS to track my package.  When they found it and said they would refund my shipping fee, Jim made sure that I got my package next day air before 10:00 AM.

After getting to know a bit more about the company and Jim I can safely say that this company has made a LIFELONG customer out of me. I will always say how good I feel about this company.  

I feel that customer service is the corner stone of a company and that a person will over look a lot of things if they feel a company cares and is trying to do the right thing by them.

Thank you for your time you have taken to read this.
Good day and

Lee George
KE4VYN
Alabama
N2NKW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2013, 02:14:24 PM »

I bought a HS-1800DX back in 2003 from HamCQ, known then as High Sierra, Jim's company.  The antenna was used for several months then put into storage for almost 10 years.  In that time it went through several QTH relocations.  Several months ago, I got bit by the radio bug again and brought the antenna out of storage. 

After determining it needed to be refurbished, I contacted Jim at Heathtech to verify the parts I would need to refurb it and the availability of said parts. 

Contacting Jim through the website contact portal went smoothly on the initial contact and my request was replied to in less then 24 hours.  Parts were ordered and sent several days later.. I got the parts I ordered.  They came USPS as stated on the website and arrived in good shape.

Afterwards, I needed to contact Jim about a refurb issue and I sent several emails to the email address Jim used to respond to my website form question.  After waiting several days with no reply, I sent Jim another request via the website portal and once again, I got a reply in less then 24 hours.

Jim was patient with my questions and did a reasonable job in explaining what was needed. Curt is definitely a good description of the tone. Most of his replies were "Read the guide" which answers some but not all questions.

All in all, I was pleased with the end result. 

I do have a few issues which I have to bring up though.

1. Parts shipment. The parts I ordered were paid for by CC/Debit. Jim refused to ship until the entirety of the payment was through the CC system which takes several days.  Most companies ship once they receive the initial order and CC payment is processed the day the order is placed.  Jim waited for the entire payment to clear all the way before shipping.  That took 5 days. That was a bit of an annoyance.

2. Contacting via email.  The ONLY way Jim appears to respond to any contact is through using the website contact form which is a bit cumbersome. I responded to Jim via the email's he sent me during our business transaction and there was absolute silence.  Using the contact form on the website got me a response within 24hours.  Dont send any emails to Jim.  Use the website contact page ONLY if you wish timely replies to your communications. Don't reply to any emails he sends directly.  Use the Contact form on the website

All in all, if EHAM were using a star based rating system here, He would get 4 out of 5 stars
W6LG

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 11:26:28 AM »

Hi,

The issues that Brian put into his comments about customer service deserve answers.  Normally, I would do this privately via email.

He says that "Jim refused to ship until the entirety of the payment was through the credit card system." That is mostly true. It is better for us to be paid before we ship or mail products.  We have been stung a few times because we did ship before the payment cleared.  One N4 got $600 worth of merchandise and never made good on the payment. 

Here is what happened with Brian's orders.  He has ordered twice from www.hamcq.com

The first order was on Saturday September 21 at 0919 PDT.  We received payment the next day on Sunday September 22nd.  His box was mailed on the next day; Monday morning.  We can't mail boxes on Sunday.  He paid for Parcel Post.  I upgraded to Priority Mail for 2 day delivery.  As a result, the box arrived at his home on Wednesday September 25th at 1413.   

To summarize that order history, he ordered on Saturday, we were paid on Sunday, we mailed Priority Mail for faster delivery on Monday and he received the box on Wednesday. That is just 2 business days.

The second order to www.hamcq.com was on Thursday, September 26 at 0439 PDT.  We were paid on Friday September 27th.  I mailed the box on Monday, September 30.  Again, he paid for slower Parcel Post and I again upgraded to Priority Mail so he would get the box in 2 days instead of 4 or 5. Many orders were mailed on Saturday September 28th. His was not because I had to assembled one of the products.  I did that on Sunday and mailed it first thing on Monday.  He received the box in 2 days on October 2nd at 1348. That is a total of 5 business days from ordered to delivered.   

Looking at both of his orders I don't think that I could have done them any faster.  He says that I waited 5 days before I shipped.  That is not true.  He got one box in 2 days. So, I don't agree with his issue #1.  But I do understand.  I do know that when I order something it often seems like a long time before the box arrives. So, I do know how he feels.  But, Brian paid for Parcel Post that would take 4 or 5 days to Oklahoma.  I sent them via 2 day USPS.   

Brian's second issue was about contacting me.  It is very true that it is much faster to email from the contact us form on the website.  Brian sent 5 emails in 2 days; September 19 to September 21.  I did answer all of his emails and he said "thanks for being patient with me." Looking into my Sent Mail, there were approximately 9 emails from me to Brian between September 19 and September 30.  I don't see that I missed responding to any question.  Most of the emails were updates on his 2 orders. Brian's emails were concise and easily understood.  I agree that my answers could have been longer and contained more detail. Sometimes I quickly respond to the email in between packing orders. 

I appreciate Brian taking the time to voice some issues.  I think I did a reasonably good job of responding to his questions via email and quickly shipping his orders.

To be fair, there are times when I miss an email.  There are also many times when the email address provided by the customer has an error and it bounces.  There are times when the incoming email is a rant and over the top. I am far from perfect and make many mistakes. I just try to do my best at 64 years old.

Also to be fair, there are times when an order takes 4 days to ship.  That can happen if there is a mistake in filling the order.  Or, if there is an item that is out of stock.  At 4 days old, the order is flagged for a resolution.

Also, if the customer tells us that they need something in a hurry, I try to accommodate that request.     

He had questioned me about phone calls.  There is an explanation that have I have not publicly discussed and it also answers the question about why I stopped manufacturing screwdriver antennas.  Two very important people in the production of the antennas died within a few months of each other.  About that time, there was a terrible accident here. Life flight, surgeries, several days in intensive care and many months of physical therapy occurred. All of that took the fun out of manufacturing antennas. 

As a result, I changed our business from manufacturing to more of a retail internet business.  I hired 2 graphic designers and an IT guy to create a new website that was more up to date.  A completely new shopping cart took about a year to get online.  We now have almost 700 products on both websites.  This is our 20th year.  We did change our name a few years ago to High Sierra Communications Products because of what we sell.

We are still doing full page full colors ads on page 26 in QST every month.  The folks at the ARRL have been very helpful and understanding during the time of the accident. For that, I am very grateful.

This has been a much longer answer than I thought it would be.  Brian is a good customer and a nice guy.  I appreciate his comments and I will try to do better.   

I am now in my 50th year of ham radio.  I still enjoy DXing and experimenting from my mountain top in northern California.   

Thanks for reading this.  If you have any issues, please send them to me via the website where I can privately discuss them. 

73, Jim Heath W6LG 
N6AJR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 12:35:03 PM »

I have been dealing with Jim at High Sierra for many years,and have always received excellent service. For example I ordered 500 feet of rope and a pulley yesterday ( Friday 1 Nov 13) and got it today ( 2 Nov 13). This will be used to put up a new sloper on to my existing tower.  That is the norm for orders from High Sierra in my experience.

I have bought the cripmer kit for  power poles,  a screwdriver kit, multimeter's, connectors for coax, rope, pulleys,  and many more of the little "necessities" need for  a ham station.  I have never had anything but the best of service from the folks at High Sierra, and heartily reccommend them to everyone.

Thanks for filling  a great need for hams keeping their stations in order.  They are the best in my book.

tom N6AJR
N1CX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 01:22:26 PM »

Jim is the real deal. I think he does a great job! No-one is perfect.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 05:49:38 PM »

Another HUGE "thumbs up" for Jim and High Sierra (hamcq)!  Jim is a great guy and he goes out of his way to be helpful--just AMAZING service!  He also has some really neat stuff in stock.  He's got bulkhead passthroughs for coaxial cable in a bunch of sizes---those things are great, MUCH easier and neater than doing a window passthrough.  The "raincoat tape" is on sale again; I'm using that for all sorts of chores around the house, and it is absolutely fantastic for antennas and power connections.   The High Sierra website is easy to use, Jim's prices are good, and the shipping is lightning-fast.  And on top of it all, as I said earlier, Jim goes out of his way to make sure you are happy with the order.  Best of the best!   --ken
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2013, 04:47:26 AM »

He paid for Parcel Post.  I upgraded to Priority Mail for 2 day delivery.  As a result, the box arrived at his home on Wednesday September 25th at 1413.   

To summarize that order history, he ordered on Saturday, we were paid on Sunday, we mailed Priority Mail for faster delivery on Monday and he received the box on Wednesday. That is just 2 business days.

There is no shortage of cheap ass Hams who, even when you do them a favor by upgrading service for something they did not pay for, will still bad mouth you and leave negative feedback.  IMO, you went above and beyond to keep this troublesome customer happy.  Some people are never happy no matter hard hard you try.

KH6DC

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2013, 04:49:39 PM »

HamCQ and Jim are awesome to deal with.  I got to them first if I need something and if they don't have the quantities of something I need quick, I go to DXEngineering or HRO.  All three are easy to deal with but HamCQ is always my first stop.

73 and Aloha,
de Delwyn, KH6DC
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2013, 08:44:02 AM »

I've purchased three different model screwdriver antennas, and related accessories, from Jim in the past. He has always answered all my questions, and provided excellent service if I encountered any problematic situations. When my ground-mounted HS-1800/PRO screwdriver took a direct lightning strike last year (it wasn't a pretty sight), I was going to buy another one from High Sierra. Unfortunately, their screwdriver line was discontinued, so I had to go to a (former) competitor to replace it. Based on my experiences, I strongly recommend doing business with Jim in his new accessories business.

73,   Bob  K7JQ
K7JQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2013, 09:09:31 AM »

Oops....I forgot to mention something else. When my "Bullseye" screwdriver turns counter malfunctioned beyond repair after years of operation, I emailed Jim to see if he had one in stock, as it had previously been discontinued. He found one laying around, shipped it to me without payment, and said "just keep it, or send me a check for whatever you think it's worth." Talk about customer service and integrity!

73 (again),  Bob  K7JQ
KG6AF

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 06, 2013, 09:13:13 AM »

I recently ordered some things from High Sierra, and was very satisfied with both the service and the quality of the merchandise.  (BTW, the AndyCrimp is the best radio-related tool I've bought in 20 years.)  Having just read W6LG's post in response to a (somewhat) unhappy customer, I'm even more inclined to order from High Sierra again.
AC4RD

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2013, 09:27:50 AM »

I recently ordered some things from High Sierra, and was very satisfied with both the service and the quality of the merchandise.  (BTW, the AndyCrimp is the best radio-related tool I've bought in 20 years.) 

I'm with you on that.  For 20 years I soldered connections.  Then I got an Andycrimp set, and it's incredible.  It took me a few practice tries, but after that, coaxial connectors, powerpoles, ring and spade terminals, whatever--the Andycrimp makes it fast, easy, and foolproof.  (Even for an industrial-duty fool like me.)  Wink
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: