Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hy gian Hy-tower / balanced line  (Read 610 times)
AC4R

Ignore
« on: November 15, 2007, 07:13:54 AM »

Lets hear your thoughts on feeding a Hy gain Hy-tower with 600 ohm open line. One side to the tower, the other to the radial field. It seems this would eliminate the need for the add on kit for 160 which makes the ant a L  on 160 meters. Running a good tuner it seems you could just radiate the tower and installing the elements for the various bands would not be necessary.  

AC4R
WB7TDG

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2007, 03:27:33 PM »

It will work...you might want to bring the balanced line out at a 45 degree angle from the antenna's feedpoint so keep coupling between ground and antenna to feedling to a minimum...
Also if you have a 4:1 voltage balun sitting around try running the balun in reverse....hook up the feeders to (normally) the output of the balun, ground the balun's case to the radial field and connect center of the pl259 to the hy-tower.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2007, 07:46:11 AM »

To do this, you would need to run a segment of coax from your rig to a transmatch. You will then have some loss in the transmatch. If the transmatch is in the shack, with the 600 ohm line running out to the HyTower, you will have RF in the shack. You would need to avoid laying the ladder line on the earth somehow. Since the HyTower can be easily tuned to be resonant on 80-40-20-15-10, I'm not sure why you would want to use ladder line. Just because you might be able to get a transmatch to somehow transform the load to an acceptable SWR does not mean that the antenna will be a very efficient or effective one on 160 meters at it's stock length. I have used my tuner to get a match at 100-300 watts on 160 meters into my HyTower with no loading coils or sidearm, and I feed it with RG-213U!! You can make a few QSOs that way, but it's not efficient or a real antenna for 160M. The side arm works very well in my experience for domestic work, but never got me much done for EU or ASIA DX. My HyTower is a very useful DX antenna for 80 and 40, but as far as the higher bands, a simple  coax fed dipole or doublet fed with ladder line is as effective.
AC4R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2007, 08:41:15 AM »

As far as why i would use 600 ohm open line to feed the vertical, i am currently running a 175 ft long dipole fed with 600 ohm open line which runs into the shack to a Palstar tuner . I have had excellent results running open line as it makes the dipole an all bander and performs quite well. As far as RF in the shack that does not seem to be a problem. I have not had any problems with RF getting into the audio section of my rig, and no problems with the compuer. I have about 6 feet on open line in the shack. I planned to elevate the feedline running from the shack  to the tower about 4 feet off of the ground using a bridge made out of pvc which tappers down to the base of the tower.
AB3CX

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2007, 07:42:09 AM »

The dipole with 600 ohm line to a tuner is a classic antenna setup. No argument with that. Since the feedpoint impedance of the vertical is low, and the ladder line would need to be elevated, and the antenna will be short for 160 meters, although a tuner would get it to load, the real efficiency is open to question. Out of curiosity, does the dipol eload on 160 meters via the tuner?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: