Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Am I a bad consumer?  (Read 1032 times)
KB1RNV

Ignore
« on: December 11, 2008, 08:34:42 AM »

Just want to check and see if I'm expecting too much or if I got bad service.

I contacted a vendor- rhymes with 'antenna farm'- and by email mentioned I was fixated on a particular HT dual band unit, but being a new ham I wanted to know if there was another unit I should seriously consider before buying. I then asked if there is a 'package deal' for the HT with extra batt, DC cable, and other accessories... and asked if there was a preference whether I pay via PayPal or call with the card info.

The response I got was a one liner- "Go to our web site and load up your cart and checkout will calculate it."

I sent a follow up email asking if he could address my original questions about the HT and got a reply that was mostly just being critical of my communication skills- then gave me a one-liner about another radio that had a different battery instead of the one I was looking at. Not really the information I was looking for.

Despite the lack of usable information and gruff nature, I placed an order for a fairly expensive antenna for my mobile unit.  After waiting two weeks for it to arrive, it shows up and I'm a little shocked at what I get. The antenna was bent to fit it into a box that was too short. The last 4"-5" was bent at a 45 degree angle to force it into the box. Being some thick wire, it's not ever going to be perfectly straight again.  Will it work?  Yes.  But I take pride in my rig and I think a bent antenna looks kinda silly on a vehicle on which I've spent lot of money and time-it's been in several magazines and represents my company. I sent a polite email to explain that I was unhappy with the decision to bend my new antenna- and of course, no reply.

Am I expecting too much? I send product all over the world and would never consider bending something to fit a box. I always think about what the customer will see when they receive something they paid me for. Sure, a bent antenna is a minor gripe- but it's a disappointment.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2008, 10:11:27 AM »

Return the antenna and get a refund, then buy from another company.

If you paid by credit card, challenge the payment and let the CC company help you get your money back.

This is the reason I only deal with the major dealers.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
K0KNX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2008, 08:48:21 PM »

I have run in to this type behavior...as soon as they start the one liners and gruffness, I dump them. There are plenty of shops and vendors out there. If you haven't figured it out already, there is a large number of hams who are anti social oddballs and/or despise newbie types. 73 / Steve
KB1RNV

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 05:42:14 AM »

I have noticed there are a lot of social misfits in the hobby. I've had to be diplomatic with people several times when they start following me around my truck in a parking lot because they saw my antenna (no, not my bent one from antennafarm) and demand to know what radio I've got and proceed to tell me about theirs or how they made an antenna from a washing machine motor, duct tape and a popsicle stick.
There is some kind of strange elitist attitude with some of them.  It's a wierd group. Seems they mostly like to try to prove each other wrong and make fun of FRS and CB.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 02:37:05 PM »

hi,

All I want when I shop anywhere is to get my
monies worth and be treated like I treat my customers.

Too often you have to settle for less and the store
makes you feel like you are doing them a favor by
spending your hard earned cash with them.

I'd like you to post the website of that joint so
others can avoid shopping with them.

73 james
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2008, 02:41:19 PM »

No, you're not being a bad consumer--you just want value for what you send you're hard earned money for.

I would also return the antenna with a note as to why its being returned and demand a refund.  If you paid by credit card, you're protected either way.  Send the antenna back by whatever method it was shipped by and if you don't get satisfaction, file a complaint with your credit card company.

Companies like that give all sellers a bad name.

Oh, yes, please indicate the company on this site as well--giving the reasons you believe they deserve a black mark on their record.  We all like to know who to avoid when we order equipment for our shacks.
KB1RNV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 02:03:46 PM »

http://www.theantennafarm.com/catalog/

I should have known from the start with the emails, but unfortunately we don't have a local source for anything. Even worse, I was forced to install it so I could work with Red Cross over the last few days because of the ice storm out here in Vermont.
He made a couple bucks on that antenna, but it'll cost him more than he made in the long run. I'm new to this whole hobby and I anticipate I'm gonna spend a lot on it. Typically I find a vendor who does me right and then support that vendor for a long time, so he screwed up.
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2008, 02:33:06 PM »

hi,

these retailers will not treat you like af did.

http://www.gigaparts.com/radioindex.php

http://aesham.com/

http://www.hamradio.com/

73 james
KB1RNV

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2008, 07:16:09 AM »

Thanks for the pointers- I bookmarked each of them on my computer. Shopping for some new gear, so I'll give them each a call and see who I feel most comfortable with. Wife approved the "new shack" request as well as the dual rx mobile upgrade. She rocks.
K8JHR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2008, 12:51:57 AM »

Add this company to the Preferred Good Vendor List:

Burghardt Amateur Center

Very good service and prompt, complete communication.  I have had many good purchases from them.  They have resolved all questions and problems PROMPTLY.

Just MY take... your mileage may vary, but I hope not.

===============  James / K8JHR  ======================
EC158

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2009, 12:08:08 PM »

by KE4DRN
--------------------------------------------
"hi,these retailers will not treat you like af did.

http://www.gigaparts.com/radioindex.php

http://aesham.com/

http://www.hamradio.com/ "

---------------------------------------------

Gigaparts = YES

AES = YES

HRO = NO WAY, have had nothing but poor customer service from this outfit, would not send my worst enemy there!

They suck!

EC158
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2009, 12:01:02 PM »

I'm going to disagree with the previous post on HRO.  I've only experienced great service from them.  Especially in the Salem NH store (Don't know where ya are in VT, but if it's southern VT, Salem is only a 1:30 hour drive from Brattleboro).

Call the Salem store if ya need anything.  Cal, or any of the guys there will treat you the way you expect, shipping is free (over $100 purchase), and if they have it in stock, it doesn't have to come far and will get there wicked quick.

Jim - KB1NXE, Keene, NH
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: