Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clark pneumatic masts  (Read 3022 times)
ZL1KMN

Ignore
« on: April 21, 2008, 12:09:06 AM »

Anybody has experience with Clark masts?
Its almost impossible and costs several 10.000 dollars to get building and resource consents for any tower higher than 20 ft.
One of the options is a push up mast, mounted on a vehicle, no problems in that case. Plus, then I can travel to the best locations, sea shore, etc...
 A WT-6 would be fine, and there could be used ones and good price. I have searched Google, but just couple of references found, using these masts.
WT-6 spec says, head load is 40kg, and its 21m (70ft) height. Looks promising, but unsure, as it seems, that almost nobody is using them for an unknown reason...
Take a look:
http://www.clarkmasts.com/wt_masts.php
K4SAV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2008, 06:25:17 PM »

Once you find a price on these, I'll bet you will find out why no one uses them.
ZL1KMN

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2008, 06:39:21 PM »

Thanks, but I have checked allready...
It's much cheaper than the fee's I have to pay for the council.
In UK Ebay, they are regularly available, used, with low price.
A 70ft one was sold with trolley for 5500 pounds. $15.000 or so... But thats a fully mobile version, one man could handle it...

ZL1KMN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2008, 06:44:02 PM »

SCAM 12 version is 12m high, and available for 350 punds. $700? Thats really a bargain...
K4SAV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2008, 07:13:03 AM »

It sure is a bargain.  I saw one document which summarized an installation and had some prices.  They used the SCAM 12.  They listed the price as $3500 for the mast and $2300 for the tripod.  I didn't find any prices listed directly by the manufacturer or any of the distrubutors.
ZL1KMN

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2008, 01:22:51 PM »

New price for SCAM 12 mast only is about $30.000...

But my question was, another then their price, they are fine for amateur purpouse?
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2013, 08:10:00 AM »

Man I would like to use one for my hill top mobile excursions.

We see they are commonly used here for commercial radio or TV stations remote operations.
They are usually installed through the middle of a utility van etc.

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2013, 07:28:27 PM »

hi,

Will-Burt pneumatic masts show up often on eBay
or installed in a van for sale.

73 james
ZL1BBW

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2013, 08:26:13 PM »

I have seen pictures of people using a 60 or 80ft versatower on a trailer with outrigger feet to get round council regulations.

ex MN Radio Officer, Portishead Radio GKA, BT Radio Amateur Morse Tester.  Licensed as G3YCP ZL1DAB, now taken over my father (sk) call as ZL1BBW.
KF7DS

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2013, 10:24:10 PM »

I have a new Clark that I use with a HyGain AR-40 rotator and a Mosley Mini tribander. Works great. Yes, it is expensive. It goes up to 35 Ft - the beauty is that I can move it's location in the yard easily; raise and lower easily for adjustment or when gone on vacation. Worth it to me.

Don KF7DS
M0TTB

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2013, 03:12:06 AM »

Usually all the cheap goodies are from overseas... the grass is always greener elsewhere. But the one bonus of being a radio amateur in the UK is the seemingly never ending used Clark Scam 12's on ebay, ex military surplus. A good one will be about £500, and there is a guy who does comprehensive refurbished versions for up to £900 (he lives a few miles away from Clark HQ).

Within 10 miles of my qth there's at least 6 Scam 12's in use by radio amateurs. I have had mine for a couple of years without a problem and they can take a big old load on top of them. I had my Scam 12 topple over in a storm (top guy came adrift), but the mast was fine, no bent sections and everything still works... but the Scam range was designed for military use, so built for rough and tumble. Many of the Scam 12's in use are over 20yrs old, some a lot older. Water is the killer for them, they suck it in... even with the drain valve open all the time, there's still possible corrosion issues on some of the screws. Water build-up and freezing is obviously another more serious issue.

If you manage to keep the water out, then they will last a long long time.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2013, 03:25:10 AM by M0TTB » Logged
G7DIE

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 08:50:41 AM »

A friend of mine uses a SCAM 12 on the back of his van, along with his 4 element 20m monoband beam, that's some mobile rig right there Grin

As you say Andy, we normally don't get the goods this side of the pond, I sold my SCAM 12 as it wasn't getting too much use, mobile being my main mode of operation Smiley
M6GOM

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2013, 11:50:13 AM »

These masts are very popular in the UK, especially the pump up versions. I've just bought a pneumatic 10.7m Hilomast simply so I can raise and lower it as required.

THEY DO NEED GUYING if you're going to leave it up or use when windy.
W5WSS

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2013, 07:03:28 AM »

The tower and trailer with outriggers.
A company in Tulsa, Oklahoma builds and sells directly to customers, a few different versions along with a self contained power generating system for winching, lighting etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: