Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-756 LCD failure, lets take it to ICOM Japan  (Read 1700 times)
KJ4AMH

Ignore
« on: August 26, 2008, 06:46:27 AM »

From the sounds of things all the Icom reps at the distribution level
are giving everyone the same sort of run around, my self included. I
inquired at Icom before I bought my radio and was told the the screen
failure was very rare and that the replacement screens were available.
When the lines began to appear, I called again and was told, every
screen would eventualy fail and that there were no replacements. At the
third call I was told refurbished screens were available on an exchange
basis.
I think it's time to take this problem to Icom in Japan. This is
where I need help. I need email addresses of the poeple in Japan, up to
and including Mr. Iuoque himself.
I think we have a valid case, but time may be running out. I realize
that this is not a problem with an Icom part, Sanyo made the screens
for Icom under contract and are reluctant to correct the problem. Icom
took a lot of people's hard earned money, their name is on the radio,
hence I think it's their problem to fix.
I think all IC-756 owners should email Icom in Japan, tell them how
much we like the radio and that we would like them to fix the problem.
I would appreciate any suggestions and help.
W5CPT

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2008, 04:05:48 PM »

You bought a used radio from an individual, Not Icom.  Your beef is with the fellow who sold you the radio if he said it would never fail or with yourself if you bought a bad radio thinking you could fix it. Icom had very few replacement screens and replaced alot of them under warrenty.  The sold some but the number was very limited from what I hear. (do a search on "756 screens" in this forum).  Icom supported that radio for quite some time and in some instances, where it can, still does.  The radio is 11 years old and some parts are now no longer available. It is sad but it is a fact of life.  My wife's 12 year old Buick has a LCD panel for the Heater/Air conditioner and it failed 3 times. The first two times GM fixed it and the last they told me the panel was no longer produced. Oh well....

I have one of the very first IC-756s that came to market. I was working in a Ham Radio store when they were released and I got the first one in the door.  Still have it and it still works with no "dreaded blue lines". I understand that someday I will turn it on and it will show the first signs of the impending death and I understand that Icom will not have a new screen for me.  I have downloaded some HR Deluxe that will let me use the radio but with the computer as the interface. I lose the Bandscope but it is better than losing the radio.

If you want a radio that will work out of the box, with full warrenty, you must buy a new one from an authorized dealer and pay the price.

Clint - W5CPT
K3VW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2008, 06:07:32 AM »

You are several years late in this debate about the " Blue Line" disease, on Icom 756 radio's. Mine developed the dreaded, blue lines about a year after I had it. I e mailed Icom about it and their reply was that was very unusual but would not fix it under warranty. For $300 plus shipping they would fix it. I traded the radio to a " bottom feeder" in Pa. and got rid of the problem but many others since then have had the same problem. Those that advertise their IC-756 as having no problems with their screen, either have had the screen replaced, have not turned it on since new or are hiding the fact. Icom will not and has not, to this point, admitted they had defective screens or taken the responsibility to fix them at their cost. I still love my Icom Pro though, never a problem with it !
PD2R

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2008, 02:03:43 PM »

I never thought I'd say this....; Buy American!
Ten Tec and Elecraft for instance, have spare parts in stock even for their older products.

This is exactly why I always want to know just how good a companies customer support really is.

I feel that they should be able to repair a 10 or 12 year old radio, it's not a frikkin' refrigerator!
N2RRA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2008, 05:07:28 PM »

All though everyone here has a valid gripe I say don't bother with Icom's tech prices! It's a great radio and if you can have the screen replaced it'll last you years. Actually if you can't smash the rig over the guys head that sold you the lemon well just fix it and be on your way.

There's a guy here in New York that's better I think than Icom's techs and his customer service and prices are awesome.

He'll take care of it!

Land Air Communications is the company's name. Either google or check out his reviews here on eham.net.

73!
K4FX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2009, 06:09:30 PM »

"Those that advertise their IC-756 as having no problems with their screen, either have had the screen replaced, have not turned it on since new or are hiding the fact."

That is not always the case, I purchased a 756 a couple of years ago listed as mint and no lines, it was indeed mint with no lines. I ran it for a year pretty heavily, contesting and on almost all the time, then got a Pro II and the 756 is still working like a champ for the new owner. I read somewhere that some of the early 756s were prone to the lines and LCD failure and the problem was pretty rare on the later ones. That certainly reflects my experience,

K4FX
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 07:22:39 PM »

Another option -- used by long time IC-756 owners!

REPLACING THE LCD DISPLAY IN THE IC-756, with an entirely new LCD
by Don Graham, VK6HK
http://www.qsl.net/icom/ic756/ic756lcd.html
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: