The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: US Parcel Service seem overpriced to anyone? :-/  (Read 23264 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: May 12, 2015, 05:56:50 AM »

And while I'm on the topic of politicians, what about their pensions after one term of office compared to a postal worker's 30 years?

Totally agree. Elected positions should not include pension benefits, first class airfare back and forth to the home district, or a private barbershop.

I am a retired Federal Civil Service worker under old CSRS system and I know postal workers got better benefits than we did and paid far less for same health insurance from same pool we picked from. The problem with postal service is it split off for regular civil service long ago and pays much higher wages than it should for job. They also pay rural drivers high dollar to use own car for delivery. Rarely do they put in anything close to a 8 hour work day too delivering mail. A postmaster in a little one horse town office can make 6 figures for little work.  The end result is you pay more for services to fund all of this. If they ever allowed direct competition with US Mail the USPS would either clean up its act or go under.  As it stands now they have no impetus to control costs as they have a lock on US Mail delivery.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computing technology and change with it or cling to past and fall further behind everyday....
W9PMZ

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: May 12, 2015, 09:07:43 AM »

One of my good friends and his wife had a baby.  They live in Chonburi Thailand.
I sent some nice clothes for the baby and some chocolates for his wife.
UPS and FEXEX $200.
USPS $30.
Got there in two weeks safe and sound.
On the other hand USPS Priority mail took 4 days to get here (Ohio) from North Carolina.
I guess it's hit and miss...
Carl - W9PMZ
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: May 12, 2015, 11:00:22 AM »

One of my good friends and his wife had a baby.  They live in Chonburi Thailand.
I sent some nice clothes for the baby and some chocolates for his wife.
UPS and FEXEX $200.
USPS $30.
Got there in two weeks safe and sound.
On the other hand USPS Priority mail took 4 days to get here (Ohio) from North Carolina.
I guess it's hit and miss...
Carl - W9PMZ

This is because they are able to hand it off to a oversea mail carrier. I had a friend that used to mail a lot of clothes to states from Thailand pretty cheaply.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computing technology and change with it or cling to past and fall further behind everyday....
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: May 13, 2015, 11:28:35 AM »

And the opposite when China ships to USA for pennies. Ever notice all the free shipping eBay teasers for Chinese junk?  That is due to Uncle Sam not being more diligent when signing international shipping agreements between various foreign postal services.

It will be a sad day if the USPS ever ceases to exist. Folks in remote rural areas will bear the brunt of the fallout.  Again, the USPS is a service.  Yes, it can be run and managed better, and perhaps the current board of governors and the US Congress need to be eliminated from the equation!  But, if it is to remain as a service, so minor losses should be expected, but not to the ridiculous degree we are seeing!

Pete
« Last Edit: May 13, 2015, 11:31:20 AM by K1ZJH » Logged
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: May 13, 2015, 11:36:33 AM »

In the US, the post office's 2 main competitors are UPS and FEDEX.  The value of the post office compared to these 2 depends on the size of the package, its value, and the distance it has to travel. For example, if I wanted to mail an HT from Eastpoint, ME to Guam or American Samoa (probably the furthest distance within the US) and it fit in a medium flat rate box, it would cost $12.65 to ship.  I don't know how much Fedex or UPS would charge for that same distance, but I would bet it would be much more.  I recently sold a couple of antennas and priced shipping by all 3 carriers for them, and the USPS came in significantly cheaper than UPS or FEDEX. 

Also, priority mail can be quicker as well for long distances.  Shipping from the west to east coast could take 5 or 6 days by UPS and FEDEX, but 2 days by priority mail.

Where the USPS becomes a worse value that fedex or UPS is for large/heavy or expensive packages.  Once it can't fit in a flat rate box and it is a large box that weighs a lot, FEDEX will probably be quite a bit cheaper.  The post office also kills you on insurance.  If you have a valuable package, and want to insure it, it the insurance cost will probably be much more than fedex or UPS charge.

73 John AF5CC
K1ZJH

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: May 13, 2015, 11:41:16 AM »

But, one also has to compare Regional Flat Rates for heavy boxes.  That is only provided by their online website.

I've rarely found better rates on FedEx or UPS for heavy packages. Perhaps if I was a registered commercial shipper the prices would be dramatically different. 

I ship by the cheapest means possible.

Pete
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: May 13, 2015, 11:53:08 AM »

I just calculated the price for a comparable package from Eastport, ME to Honolulu, HI.  I tried Guam and American Samoa but FEDEX doesn't deliver to them, or at least like the zip code I put it.  For a medium flat rate box, weighing 12 pounds, valued at $50, the post office will ship it for 12.65 or 11.30 if I print out the postage on line.  Fedex wants 74.95 for the same package, and it will take 6 business days to get there. If I shipped it today that would be next Thursday.  The post office estimates their priority mail would have it there on Saturday.
KG9SF

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: August 04, 2015, 05:41:52 PM »

I just ordered $8.50 worth of parts that I can't get locally.

The USPS shipping cost was $8.00. while the UPS cost was $12.00.  It's just a matter of varying degrees of piracy.
SOFAR

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: August 04, 2015, 06:54:01 PM »

If you're trying to save, focus on daily, weekly, and monthly expenses. Instead of parts for a DIY repair.
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: