Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Beware of Cedar City Sales  (Read 7009 times)
WB3DLO

Ignore
« on: May 21, 2008, 09:51:50 AM »

I ran into Cedar City Sales this spring at the Timonium Hamfest. I bought an NMO mount from them based on their recommendation that it would work on my vehicle. The mount is not even close to being the correct one for my car.

I never installed the mount nor took it out of it's original package. I'd like to return it for a refund but they refuse. They'll only exchange it for something else. I've since purchased the correct mount from another dealer.

If I buy something from a company based on their recommendation and their recommendation is wrong, I feel they should do the right and honorable thing by refunding my money.

Beware Cedar City Sales and their unprofessional sales policies.
WB3DLO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 07:41:54 AM »

I understand and agree BUT NOT when they SELL ME the wrong product. Under that condition and due to their incompetence, they need to CHEERFULLY refund my purchase. Some businesses understand good customer service and some don't. Cedar City Sales is one who doesn't. By deciding to beat me up over a $20 sale, there going to loose much more good will then they'll ever hope to gain.

In no way was I trying to cheat Cedar City Sales. I had no intention of installing the antenna so I could listen to my local 2M net and then return it the next day. Comparing my experience with Cedar City Sales to that of Walmart and a TV is totally lame.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 09:19:48 AM »

DLO:

It would be helpful if we knew what you asked the sales rep and what you were told, specifically.

A generic NMO mount will install in any piece of sheet metal that's not more than an eighth of an inch thick -- it doesn't matter what the vehicle details are; it's just a sheet-metal mount.

Of course there are different "brackets" sold with NMO style screw-ons, and those can vary in compatibility quite a lot.

What did you ask and what did they say?
K4KO

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2008, 10:43:12 AM »

I do not know the details of your transaction, but I know the owner/operators of Cedar City Sales, and I know them well enough to know that they would not mislead you nor anyone else just to sell a $20 NMO mount or anything else for that matter.  Al and Pam live in the same town as I do, and they are honest, hardworking, good people, good amateurs and fair businesspersons.  If they refuse to refund your money, there is a good reason.

W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2008, 11:08:59 AM »

<<  I bought an NMO mount from them based on their recommendation that it would work on my vehicle. The mount is not even close to being the correct one for my car.  >>

Having installed well over a hundred NMO mounts over the past 40 years, I have never seen a vehicle-specific NMO mount or a vehicle-specific bracket.

There are brackets for different TYPES of vehicle installations, however.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KB3HSY

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 05:19:45 PM »

I actually purchased stuff from them today at Georgetown DE and they were very nice. I do have to be honest I was looking at an MFJ analyzer and LDG tuner and the only reason I didn't purchase it was due to there "NO REFUND" policy (Exchange Only) and I am not complaining since it is up front but it no doubt does impact potential sales, I don't even mind a restocking fee. I know others have similar policies in this hobby but I still always go back to HRO and I am not sure what there policy is but the team in New Castle DE have always treated me right and will take a return without even complaining. This is the service I personally like and I have only returned one VHF rig in the 8 years and a Cushcraft antenna. I do like the option since it does say somthing about the business and how they view sales and customers.
W4YJ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2013, 06:12:10 PM »

"I ran into Cedar City Sales this spring at the Timonium Hamfest. I bought an NMO mount from them based on their recommendation that it would work on my vehicle. The mount is not even close to being the correct one for my car.

I never installed the mount nor took it out of it's original package. I'd like to return it for a refund but they refuse. They'll only exchange it for something else. I've since purchased the correct mount from another dealer.

If I buy something from a company based on their recommendation and their recommendation is wrong, I feel they should do the right and honorable thing by refunding my money."

This is very strange as I have dealt with them before and always has great dealings with them. It sounds like you have a personal problem to me as they are very honest and upfront with everyone that I have ever talked with that bought from them.

73 Steve W4YJ
K5RT

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2013, 05:01:02 AM »

I'm very close to the amateur radio "business" itself and have had my share of bench and counter time. You guys would not believe the abuse that comes with a "Returns Cheerfully Accepted" policy.
In a business with minuscule margins, a vendor can't leave himself exposed in such a way,

True stories: A guy walked into the store the Friday before Field Day. Pulls out his credit card and walks out with the latest high end Yaesu. Tuesday morning, he comes back in with the radio under his arm, no boxes, nothing. The radio is FILTHY. It looked like it had been left in a field for a month. Because our policy was the way it was, we could not refuse the return. We had to eat that radio.

Another time, a guy walks in with a 2 Meter FM rig. He has the receipt. We had to take the rig back. It was our policy. I put the radio on the bench to check it out and find the finals are blown.

Yet another time, a guy purchased a used radio from us. A week later, I see it on the bench, and start to check it out. No transmit. I take the cover off the PA, and the final tubes and driver were gone. At least that was cheap to fix and put back for sale.

The owner had this policy because he thought it would be attractive to customers.
It wound up being one of the reasons he ultimately exited the business.

So, I can understand a "No Returns" policy.
You can argue why not "Returns Conditional, pending check out of the merchandise", and then apply a significant restocking fee. This does work, but there is always the guy who will try to argue with you, then slam your company on the Internet.

It never ceases to amaze me that a guy will walk into his local ham radio store and proceed to try to negotiate a price on a $150 dollar item. Try going into your local chain grocery store and doing that. It's not a hamfest or eHam sale. It's a new, in the box product. But, this really does happen.

It can be a tough business to be in. On the one hand, we're all hams and love the hobby, and on the other, it is our livelihood.

Vy 73
Paul
SWL2002

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2013, 05:15:06 AM »

I ran into Cedar City Sales this spring at the Timonium Hamfest. I bought an NMO mount from them based on their recommendation that it would work on my vehicle. The mount is not even close to being the correct one for my car.

If I buy something from a company based on their recommendation and their recommendation is wrong, I feel they should do the right and honorable thing by refunding my money.

Beware Cedar City Sales and their unprofessional sales policies.

Quit being a cry-baby over a $20 item!  Just exchange it for something else and move on.  Hams are some of the cheapest and most petty groups of people you can deal with!
KD8UXE

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2013, 01:42:03 PM »

SWL2002 What kind of rig do you use? what kind of antenna do you use? You call us petty and cheap yet you don't even have a license! WHY is 15 bucks to much spend! DO NOT call my friends on here petty and cheap!

retired United States Army Signal Corps 25c
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2013, 05:53:56 AM »

I'm very close to the amateur radio "business" itself and have had my share of bench and counter time. You guys would not believe the abuse that comes with a "Returns Cheerfully Accepted" policy.
In a business with minuscule margins, a vendor can't leave himself exposed in such a way,
Vy 73
Paul

Paul,

I've seen anecdotal examples like that just about every single time I've been in an AES, HRO, or R&L.  Some of the most idiotic things that a person could ever imagine are on full display at your friendly ham store.  The counter employees do a remarkable job of refraining from saying "you can't fix stupid"....not that some of these moron customers deserve that restraint because many are also just plain malicious.   

I don't know how you do it, I really don't. 

Best,
Brad, K9MHZ
K9MHZ

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2013, 06:18:07 AM »

Quit being a cry-baby over a $20 item!  Just exchange it for something else and move on.  Hams are some of the cheapest and most petty groups of people you can deal with!

Yep.  Did you catch that review of DX Engineering on another thread where the guy slams them because they have a $20 minimum for online orders?  DX Engineering....probably one of THE finest ham radio vendors in existence today, and this guy rails on them for not allowing minuscule ordering.  What can you even get for less than $20, and still make it economical with shipping?

Good grief.

N0YXB

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »

I have to agree.  The dealer did offer to exchange the item, which seems more than fair under these circumstances.
WA8MEA

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2013, 06:51:25 AM »

Well I'll be!  E-ham actually had someone who complained loud enough, that they drove a ham company out of business!

Congrats, WB3DLO....

Sarcastically Yours,

Bill

Cheesy
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: