Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Idiom Press Communications (Non-Existent)  (Read 1123 times)
KJ6KV

Ignore
« on: May 10, 2008, 10:50:30 AM »

After reading some rave reviews about Idiom Press products and service in QRZ forums I placed an order.  Unfortunately, I had not seen the numerous postings in the reviews section in the "eHam.net" forums about difficulties in trying to obtain shipping and other information through telephone calls and emails.  If I had, I would have not tried to purchase any of their products.

Now, I am simply another person who has tried in vain to find out any information about what has become of my order.  A false promise made via the one and only reply received to multiple phone calls and emails only underscores the sad state of what is, in reality, virtually no customer service at all.  It's a shame that this kind of situation doesn't get a more prominent display in eHam.  Caveat Emptor for sure.
KG9HV

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2008, 09:26:54 AM »

Check this out. I know how you feel.
http://www.eham.net/forums/CompanyReviews/3632
K0OD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2008, 07:09:52 PM »

I bought one of Idiom's first Logikey keyers maybe 20 years ago. Paid something like $50 (built) which was almost  suspiciously cheap. It was a great keyer that was far advanced for that time. It died in October 2007!  Money well spent.  

The October weekend of the CQWW Phone I ordered a CMOS-4 intending to use it for the CQWW CW a full month off. Was told it would go out in days... then weeks. Then no communication. Phoned W9KNI thru his home number (I think that's how I got him) who dismissed my polite request for more info by simply stating that he had handed Idiom over to his son who was pretty busy.

Lots of communication followed and lots of non-communication. I had been mostly out of the hobby for a decade and it sure reminded me of all the half-assed ham businesses that came and went since my novice in 1957. (I'm thinking especially of several manufacturers who routinely take 6 months to ship a basic antenna)

Eventually the CMOS-4 arrived. They knocked some money off the price (they didn't charge my credit card until shipment).

Well, the keyer has worked as expected for the past few month. Still excellent value. And I did get a very contrite email of apology (but I see now from this group that Idiom's problems persist)

What I don't understand, above all, is why hams accept such inept service. What excuse can Idiom have for not using their website and email to notify customers of delays?

WB7AC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2008, 02:21:18 PM »

Well it looks like Idiom Press is reaching a new low. On May 5th I ordered their RotorCard  and used my Visa Debit card. It was charged right away and then on May 12th I received this email from Rob.

Dear Mr. Nance,

I am sorry to say that I made a mistake processing your order.  I charged
your credit card, but I had already shipped the RotorCard SDXs to Dayton  
for the Hamvention.  Unfortunately I will not be able to ship your order  
until we return on the 20th or shortly thereafter.

I regret the error.

- Rob W7GH
Partner
Idiom Press

This was fine and I let Rob know that I was fine with that. However, it's a month later and still no RotorCard. I have sent 3 more emails and 2 phone calls but have heard absolutely nothing. They do return calls or emails and they have not credited my account. So now I am in the process of filing a complaint with the County DA's office and will have to wait and see what they have to say.

AB7E

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2008, 04:18:34 PM »

Here's your answer:

http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/towertalk/2008-July/102305.html

KX9Q

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 01:20:52 PM »

I read about a lot of issues and all I can say is things must have changed.  I ordered the rotor ez and the light kit on a Monday in late October.  I received both items on that Friday, built up the kits, and installed over the same weekend.  I had a question and sent it to Idiom Press and to my surprise I received a response within several hours and this was Saturday evening.  
W1YB

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2008, 09:08:53 AM »

I couldn't agree more, WA8MEA!!!

I'm just amazed at how many folks on eHam never made a mistake. Perfection!  Wow... Must be nice!!

No one is perfect... Lapses occur in production and customer service. I've had great customer service from Idiom Press on several occassions, and their products have been more than servicable. Ham Radio is not life or death... It is a hobby... If their products are bad and the service is poor they won't survive. Just ask the US auto industry!!!

Although semi-retired due to injury, I still work part-time in one of the professions that you mentioned in your post. I still love my profession, but it is not my hobby! There is a sign on the wall that says...

"The fee is expected in cash at the time the service is provided."

My view has to be (and I've said it to "customers")...

"I apologize, but if "you" don't have cash, up front, I can't give you my time or provide the service. Please don't expect perfection from me because "you" are not perfect either. If "you" can't provide the service for yourself and "you" don't like my service, I'm sorry, but, please you'll have to go elsewhere."

I was away from the Amateur Radio Service for 20 years. When I was re-licensed several years ago I was instantly appalled...

...and not by the poor products or services!!!  

But, I guess that is how society has gone.

Just MH $00.02 worth.  YMMV!
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2009, 08:53:53 AM »

Not sure of all your experiences, but mine have been just the opposite!

In the past 3 months, I've ordered twice from them.  Both times, the E-Mails flowed to keep me abreast of the order status.  I also engaged in a nice exchange about a new product they will soon be bringing to market.

I hope this is a sign the past is just that.  If they offer a product you like, I'd give them another chance.  I know I will!
KB1NXE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2009, 09:00:54 AM »

Not sure of all your experiences, but mine have been just the opposite!

In the past 3 months, I've ordered twice from them.  Both times, the E-Mails flowed to keep me abreast of the order status.  I also engaged in a nice exchange about a new product they will soon be bringing to market.

I hope this is a sign the past is just that.  If they offer a product you like, I'd give them another chance.  I know I will!
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2009, 03:18:51 PM »

Yeah, I only had one or two emails returned, and no one's picked up when I called..but..I placed an order this morning on Idiom Press's Web Site for a RotorCard DXA for my Yaesu 1000DXA..and this afternoon got an email ship confirmation from Rob on my order...Can't beat that!..The guy's probably very busy as it is an item in demand...

73'..Tom  N3ZC
KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2009, 05:43:42 PM »

hi,

if anyone has problem with companies that
advertise in QST, please contact

Deb Jahnke, K1DAJ

Sales Manager, Advertising and Business Services
ARRL: The National Association for Amateur Radio

Phone: 860-594-0329
Email: djahnke@arrl.org

KE4DRN

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2009, 05:46:46 PM »

hi,

why are they charging customers for items
that they do not ship out ?

when the company goes under, the son can
answer the question 'what happened to Idiom'?

'I did it on my own'.

73 james
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2009, 07:32:05 AM »

They are quite existent..

I received my RotorCard DXA Saturday..Had a problem with it yesterday during installation (maybe bad component)..emailed Rob about it yesterday...he put another in the mail same day...I even called him about it yesterday and talked to him about it...

So...Idiom Press is quite "existent"....

73'..Tom  N3ZC
N3ZC

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2009, 08:20:29 AM »

As a follow-up to my RotorCard DXA post(s)..Received new one yesterday..calibrated it, checked it out with TRX Manager..work's great!..I also called Rob @ Idiom Press (yes..he answers the phone!) & thanked him for the quick service..He even sent me a new one before he received the old one...

I'll buy again from him..

Yes Virginia, There is an Idiom Press....

73'..Tom  N3ZC
N3WJ

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2009, 03:06:32 PM »

Just my two cents...I bought a used K5 from another ham.  I had a question about programming that was not covered in the manual so I sent off an email to the email address for "support" on their web site.  Rob responded within a matter of a few hours and we had a pleasant back and forth about the issue all in a single day...so much for folks complaining about poor communication!

As for their products, not only do I have the K5 which works extremely well, but I also have the Rotor EZ with the RS232 installed in my Ham III box (thanks to RotorNorm)running through Ham Radio Deluxe.  That little card does WONDERS!

Well done Idiom Press!
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: