Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Hy-Gain 4 element Yagi Identification  (Read 1302 times)
N9HGF

Ignore
« on: March 23, 2009, 03:13:10 PM »

Have the makings for a four element trapless Yagi that I need help to identify. My guess is that it is a Hy-Gain and probably at least 10 years old. The longest element side measures about 14 feet, give or take, and the boom is either 10 feet or I am missing a section. Four trapless elements. Odd thing is that they connect together with two machine screws through one side of the element as they nest together. No radiator hose clamps. Also in the box are four plastic clam shell type connectors that you lay the ends of the element into and bolt together with six nuts and bolts. The option looks like to provide some kind of seperation between the element pieces.
Any help would be appreciated.
Steve Harmon, N9HGF
n9hgf@earthlink.net
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 02:53:51 PM »

That doesn't sound right.  By "elements," are you referring to what might be half of a dipole (i.e., two "elements" would make up a driven element, reflector or director of a typical Yagi design?))

It might be a 2 element 15 Meter beam...

But there's no 4 element beam with "elements" that are 14 feet that would fit on a 10' boom.

It could also be a homebrew hybrid, using some Hy-Gain parts...
N9HGF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2009, 10:22:03 AM »

Total estimated element length is about 14 foot for each side of the boom. That seems to be the longest element. I may be missing a boom section but it is typical 3" aluminum. One of the pieces has the Hy-Gain looking end cap as well. The element attachment pieces (where they attach to the boom) look exactly like Hy-Gain and there are those little plastic sleeves that fit over the ends of the elements and fit into the boom attachment pieces. You may be correct in that it is some kind of home brew affair, but made with Hy-Gain hardware. But most beams that I've had in the past had pass through hardware to attach the element components or use hose clamps. This provides two screw holes in each element section and uses sheet metal screws...
Thanks for the comments
Steve, N9HGF
n9hgf@earthlink.net
KD0UN

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 04:07:38 PM »

If it is Hy-Gain, you should be able to find the part number on some of the parts -- the element support clamps should have a part number on them, for example.

Many Hy-Gain antennas use the same parts, but you should be able to take a look at what you have and compare it to the parts list on the Hy-Gain antennas and identify what you have it is Hy-Gain.

You can find the parts list, manual, and ordering information for missing parts on the Hy-Gain site.  

www.hy-gain.com/
N9HGF

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 07:48:44 AM »

Can find no identification of any sort. It may just be a compilation of parts that fools you into thinking it's a complete antenna.

The odd things are that the elements are pieced together with two machine screws on one side only rather than pan head screws that go all the way through with a nut on the other side, or the typical radiator hose clamp arrangement...and there are four plastic clam shell sleeves that you can join two pieces of aluminum together with.

I might just need to home brew something when the weather breaks.

I would like to identify those odd clam shell sleeves.

Thanks
Steve, N9HGF
n9hgf@earthlink.net
N9HGF

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2009, 01:18:02 PM »

Well, by accident while looking for information on my Hy-gain Roto-Brake project, I chanced upon a drawing of a Hy-gain Big Gun quad. It looks like I'm on the right track but need to find a good readable manual.
Steve
N9HGF@earthlink.net
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: