Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Maxx-com tuner -- is it scam or what?  (Read 6428 times)
ZL1WDC

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: December 10, 2003, 05:21:12 PM »

You dont make a QSO over 3,000km @ 5/9 with a light bulb. Sounds like one bitter sheep following a group into a pen. The only dummy nearby seems to be the one stuck in its rear.
W4VR

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: December 11, 2003, 05:52:32 PM »

Even the call letters EB74MX is a joke.
EB74MX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: December 12, 2003, 08:24:23 AM »

This is Eric Bentschneider of Maxx-Com. It is true that call sign EB74MX does not exist, but I needed it to register for the forum. I am not a ham, but just a normal guy who works for a company with a great product, happy customers, and a reference list that would make most companies proud. This will, however, be my last entry. The level of anger and ignorance in this forum is depressing to a degree that is almost morbid. For you Maxx-Com defenders, thank you: You can't know how much we appreciate your faithful and continued support. For those of you who have a problem with our product - although you have never tried one, and haven't a clue about what you are talking about - I strongly and respectfully suggest you all go get a life. Take out a girl, go to a movie, watch a ballgame. Life is short, and writing angry, poison emails can't be a healthy thing to spend your hours on. Perhaps it is time to find a new cause: Homelessness, bigotry, violence against women and children. Something.... anything. Either way, take care all. And best regards. Eric.
WR8Y

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: December 12, 2003, 10:49:19 AM »

"This is Eric Bentschneider of Maxx-Com...This will, however, be my last entry. "

Good, we win!  Too bad you couldn't explain HOW your product works - it's all we asked for!  

"The level of anger and ignorance in this forum is depressing to a degree that is almost morbid."

Baloney.   Those of us who know at least a little about RF are simply trying to help people avoid being ripped off.  

"and haven't a clue about what you are talking about - I strongly and respectfully suggest..."

THere is nothing respectfull about: 1)charging hundereds of dollars for a toridial transformer, a few windings on same, several resistors and an enclosure. 2)Trying to convince those who don't know, that this product is an 'antenna matcher'.

"...you all go get a life. Homelessness, bigotry, violence against women and children..."

Nice try at diversion.  Again, how about explaining to those of us (including those in the ARRL Lab)who can see through this crap, just HOW this product works?

Well?

Anyone still unconvinced can simply go to the ARRL product review and see for yourself.  

Mark
WR8Y

ZL1WDC

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: December 12, 2003, 04:17:51 PM »

It doesnt matter what Eric says, you will try to shoot it down. It is simply a pointless task for him to get you to buy one (money back i might add)and try it. It is amazing how out of all the skeptics in this forum (there is a better word for them), not one of you has gone out and bought one, tried it and said anything to the rest of us! It must really piss some Hams off because they cant find out more information. If the schematic was out there and you all used it, you would be saying "oh how amazing that Sonny Irons invention is and how nice Eric is because they shared it with the world", yeah and went broke!
Personally i find most of you amusing to say the least because you sound like the kids i went to school with. You havent won, i am still here and so is my review in which i explain HOW IT WORKS enough for you to know that a person bought one and it goes well.

"THere is nothing respectfull about: 1)charging hundereds of dollars for a toridial transformer, a few windings on same, several resistors and an enclosure. 2)Trying to convince those who don't know, that this product is an 'antenna matcher'."

The next thing you will be saying is that Maxx-com pay me to say nice things about a matcher that works.
What a tosser! Your mum should wipe your butt, cause there's alot of shit coming out of it! All your doing is what alot of people do, dump on things without foundation...you havent even used one, you have no right to advise anyone of anything. You never stopped me buying one because your attitude showed you knew nothing. Most people in this world dont know how alot of things work but they buy them and use them everyday...oh no but not hams, they NEED to know.
I deal with people like this everyday and you are the exact same ones that sit back and complain when some does well in something. The same people that complain when a wealthy person drives past in a nice vehicle.
Go spend hours using your manual tuners and trapped antenna's, go advise people on those and leave the real toys to us.To those with interest, i still offer my findings and my email address and phone number is open to those wanting to talk about it.

I will say it again, mine works...i win!
WR8Y

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2003, 05:15:06 PM »

We have a language problem.  I didn't ask for an on-air test.  

I asked for an explanation of the theory behind it's design.   This is someting NOONE can give, because it's a scam.

The product consists of a torid core, a few windings on same, and some resistors.   (In some models, a dummy board of parts, not even connected to the above parts, is found.)  Explain how this device works.

EB74MX

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: December 15, 2003, 10:07:45 PM »

Hi Tom. (You know who you are - the only person writing this bad stuff in eham.)

This is not to pick a fight. I am past that.

But, do you ask for the wiring diagram for all of your home appliances? The computer that runs your car? The satellite that feeds your digital TV? Why the negative anger about our product? I have seen them built. It's impressive. You would be amazed. I was. I know the owner/inventor. He is an honest and bright man. And you don't know me, but I wouldn't support a crappy product. I return money to 7-11 clerks who give me too much change. We are good guys. All of us.

Tom, I apologize for any less than complimentary things I have said about you in this forum. That goes against my basic beliefs and it was wrong. You have every right to your opinions and god bless you. Still, read the reviews and testimonials on our web site, and the very positive letters right here on eham. In the end what does any of it matter except that these damn things work?

Three years ago we had a tuner returned, however, the buyer flatly refused our installation advice. He knew better, so we couldn't help him. It's odd, is it not, with this raging debate, that there has not been one letter saying that these things just don't work? On the other hand, a Navy Vet and radio engineer both said that they work great. Does it not bother you to be insulting them? Why do that? Is it that important to you to tear this product down? I just don't understand. I think there is a good chance I never will. They work, Tom. And that's the botom line.  

Oh well. The best to you, Tom. The very best. Merry Christmas and a happy and properous New Year to you.

Eric

N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: December 20, 2003, 11:37:45 AM »

Eric:

<< For you Maxx-Com defenders, thank you: You can't know how much we appreciate your faithful and continued support>>

If it were a legitimate product and not snake oil, you would not need defending. The whole world would be beating a path to your door. I'll trust the QST review team, before I'll trust your non-proven advertising hype.

As for the military purchases, they'll try anything once. If your stuff worked they'd be buying them by the thousands.

Lon
EB74MX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2004, 09:18:57 PM »

Lon, Hello.

We ARE selling them by the thousands. Over 15,000 since our company's inception. Just last week we sold ANOTHER two to Tinker Air Force Base. Odd, they purchased two before that, and have told us they will buy two per quarter (that's every three months) for the rest of 2004. They say that they have had great results and that they are very happy, but according to you these Air Force guys are just dopes. Hmmmm.....

Defending our product? Of course, Lon, wouldn’t you? And I’ll tell you a little secret. Answering letters such as yours just amuses the crap out of us. And recently a friend reminded us that in the 60’s there were folks claiming computers to a big fraud. I mean, nobody knew how they worked. Actually, I still don’t. I mean, what are these messages we all get that say “You have performed an illegal operation?” I didn’t do anything illegal. Still, these damn computers actually do work, allowing us to see the world, communicate with loved ones, and explore subjects previously unknown to us all.

Of course, I know you will say that this letter is just a smokescreen, as our tuners don’t work. Right? Oh yea, sorry, they work great. Hmm…. What’s a fellow to do? Try one? Naw….. That’s ridiculous. Smiley

A Happy and Prosperous New Year to you anyway.

Eric / Maxx-Com Antenna Tuners
K8NDS

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2004, 04:53:16 PM »

Eric I have proposal for you. I have had many years of antenna experience, both amateur and proffessional. I hold a few antenna patents, so I do understand antenna systems to a degree. I have some strong suspicions about your product, but as you stated don't knock it until you have tried it. If your product is genuine you would have nothing to loose by having a proffessional opinion stated here. I propose that you give me one of these items on consignment, if it truly does all that you state and lives up to the efficiency factors, I will be glad to state the true facts, If it doesn't I will also state the truth. If your company and products are on the up and up, you will have allot to gain. I just wonder why you don't have a better marketing scheme if this product is what you claim it to be.If I had a product that worked as stated, I would be a multi million air by now? Do you have a patent on such a remakable invention?
WA4HND

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2004, 04:41:09 AM »

To anyone that is interested.

I just picked up a maxx-com this week ( my couriosity got the best of me and I figured if it didn't work, I'd get my monies worth out of the bad press I would send Maxx-com's way.

If anyone is interested in what I foundl  Let me know and I'll post the details here.

One clue ...  after my first day of doing some tests ( on and off the air )... there is no doubt in my mind that the unit is NOT going to be sent back for a refund.

Al
AD5X

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: February 05, 2004, 02:57:20 PM »

Can you put a power meter between the Maxx-com tuner and your antenna?  It would be interesting to see what the power loss is through the tuner.  Check it on all the bands you operate on.  

Phil - AD5X
N6KEK

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2004, 02:52:35 PM »

How come the big DX contetsters stations haven't chimed in on this one. I bet they all have one and they win all of their awards with this "heater".

Haven't one DX contester endorse yet.

Sorry but it's 1984 all over again except when you X-Ray it you don't see the scrap circuit board ( the active device "solid state" in it that makes it work:)

Bob
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: June 20, 2004, 08:10:59 AM »

Sheesh, this is just common sense you guys.

It is just basically a resistor in parallel with the feedpoint.

If some moron, even the US government, is happy buying an expensive resistor to fool someone into thinking an antenna is working efficiently then let 'em spend their/our money.

The only disenchanting thing about this to me is the advertisements imply this is an active tuner, and that is pure bullcrap. An active tuner has a power source, takes time to tune, is somewhat large, and has components inside that switch or adjust.

Take the misleading information away that implies this device is an efficient tuner, and there is nothing wrong with selling a resistor load to put across the antenna. After all, B&W sells a resistor loaded folded dipole and has for many years. This is EXACTLY the same operating theory.

By the way, QST looked at one of these "products" years ago with X-rays and found a disconnected scrap PC board inside so you could see the IC chips (and think they were doing something), a large power resistor, and a toroid.

Pretty much anyone who has any electronics and antenna experience understands what this device really is.

73 Tom
DD3LY

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2005, 07:29:58 AM »

I have been working (QRL) with terminated broadband antennas for several years and hopefully will do this further on.
The terminated rhombic, the terminated vertical half rhombic (like offered by B&W), the T2FD, the Beverage, the terminated vertical folded monopole are a kind of metamorphosis which ends up what Maxx.Com offers. I homebrewed this circuit three times up to now. All did what I awaited they would do. If you are able to build one 50:200 Ohm BalUn as a transmission line transformer and you terminate this with a rf-resistor of some 250 Ohm, you did it.
You may experiment switching between two different transformer/resistor-combinations: one 50:200/250 for the high frequency range (>7MHz) and one 50:450/500 for the lower bands (<7MHz). This would raise the efficiency a bit for the lower bands but would raise the effort for tuning (switching) again, which might be done via the coaxial cable.
You may experiment further on if you split the antenna into a folded dipole and place the transformer and the resistor at opposite wires. Then you have the T2FD again...

I would not recommend this for QRP but if you want a dumb drop-in-and-forget-unit and the power loss may be acceptable (if you have 100W or work QRO) you do not need to worry about mismatch. This may be the real reason why certain mil users took this way. They may have enough power and possibly have other problems to care for.
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3] 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: