The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: On Glass VHF/UHF mobile antennas  (Read 10681 times)
KD5FX

Ignore
« on: May 14, 2000, 05:42:36 PM »

I'm looking for comments about on glass VHF/UHF antennas. Who makes the best? What are your
experiences with them?
Thanks & 73, Dave
K5IQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2000, 03:42:01 PM »

Dave--
You can't go wrong with the Larsen dual-band through-the-glass antenna.  Not only does it work like a champ, but Larsen offers phenomenal customer support.  When my antenna stopped working, they sent me a new inside-piece and cable harness at no charge.  When someone smashed my windshield and I had to re-mount the antenna, Larsen sent me a re-fit kit at no charge.  The Larsen costs about $80--considerably more than some of its counterparts--but it is well worth it.
73, Bob.
N9LXJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2000, 12:05:59 AM »

I also recommend the Larsen products. One thing - it is important to mount these antennas in an area of glass that is not heavily tinted. Many newer vehicles feature dark tint on the back and side windows, as well as the top of the windshield. These antennas don't work well at all through tinted glass.

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2000, 06:09:02 PM »

I threw mine away.....
Actually, it is still there, but completely disconnected.  SWR was so high on it that it was completely useless.
I have four other through glass antennas which work well, but 2 meter, forget it.
I purchased a magnetic mount 2 meter antenna and bent the antenna to mount on the side of my Van. Works
perfectly with a 1:1.2 ratio.
W4DWH

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2000, 11:10:06 PM »

My experience with them has only been with the one that Radio Shack sells. It has performed well with my Kenwood TW4000 dual band mobile. I have a VSWR of 1:1.2 on 2M and 1:1.5 on 70cm. I can reverse the lower SWR to 70cm by the tuning coil in the interior glass-mounted portion of the antenna base. There isn't that much 70cm activity here and the location that I mounted it onto my pick-up truck, well, it does me OK. I would think that the key is a good thorough cleaning of the glass, where ever you mount it, and of course, location for proper radiation. Good Luck & 73
W0LPQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2000, 12:10:59 AM »

Just noticed your problem with the antenna.  Check the pivot point for continuity.  Many of them were black paint to black paint.  Don't work as you have found out.  Friend of mine in IA noticed this and took it apart.  Short action of a file (or sandpaper) worked wonders.  His works 2 & 220 like a charm.  He worked another one from Radio Shack..same problem, same fix.

If you still have it around, give it a look...might be worth it.

Bill, W0LPQ

KD5FX

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2000, 09:34:16 AM »

Well, I got lots of feedback from folks so here's what I finally did. Since I was putting it on a
new Camaro which has tinted glass in the rear I decided I must be very careful since the
tint can mess up the SWRs. I found a place nearby which has the Larson but they would not
allow returns, I hated to spend almost $80 and not be able to bring it back if it didn't work.
So I got the one from radio shack, it's only $40.
I first mounted it with plain jane double stick tape just to test the SWR in that location on the
glass. It check out great! 1.2 and VHF and 1.5 on UHF. Next I followed the instructions and
cleaned the glass with the alcohol pads and mounted the antenna and coupler. I then spent
about an hour routing the coax inside the car to get it to my radio. Looking good!
The next morning I took a little spin on the highway, the first time I got up to 70 mph IT FELL
OFF! I backed up, picked it off the road, went back to the house and pulled it all out. With
receipt in hand I took it back to RS, they gave me my money back.
I now have on order the trunck lip mount from Larson, I'll SCREW that puppy into some good
ole solid steel next time! I'll be using my old dual band Larson antenna that I've had for years
with a mag mount. The only that that is steel on a new Camaro is the back two fenders and
the hood, all else is PLASTIC! I'll be screwing it into one of the fenders. There's no place to
use the mag mount, all horizontal surfaces in the back and on top are plastic.
If you are thinking of mounting an antenna on a new car, you better make sure it's steel with
a magnet before you do it!
73, Dave
WF0H

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2000, 08:52:27 PM »

I had a Larsen 2-meter only thru-the-glass antenna years ago and it worked great for many years.  Since then, I've had a number of problems with similar devices.  

I bought one for a cell phone that worked fine until one day it got hot enough to melt the stickum on the matching network box on the inside of the windshield and it fell off.    

I've had lots of fun with the Radio Shack version.  I had tried one on my Oldsmobile.  I found that if it was mounted far enough from the top of the windshield to work,  the long wiper blades on the Olds would hit it.  It worked great in that place, but obviously had to go.  I could not get a decent SWR with it closer to the top of the windshield.

I tried one last year on the side window of my motorhome - no dice.  It wants a windshield or a back window.

I did not try scraping any black paint as suggested in another reply here - that could explain part of the problem.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: