The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2mtr/6mtr antenna stacking  (Read 4618 times)
GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« on: August 04, 2000, 06:03:02 PM »

HI THERE,
         Looking for help with the following questions.......
         1/whats the miniumun seperation distance for mounting a 10ele 2mtr beam above a 5ele 6mtr beam ?
         2/have heard of amateurs coatting there antennas   with a varnish etc for extra weather protection..any comments ?
         3/any ideas on how to stop birds sitting on top of the antennas !!? (have tried using a plastic owl with no success.
            THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP........73
                                              JOHN
                                               GM1ZVJ..    
W8BOB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2000, 11:26:04 AM »

A rule of thumb that I have used in the past is the spacing is 1/2 the length of the longest antenna equals the separation distance.  I ran a 6 ele 6 meter beam and 17 ele 2 meter beams this way for quite a few years.  I worked WAS & 37 countries on 6 meters with 100 watts, 36 states on 2 meters with a max of 80 watts.  Perhaps there is a more scientific approach, but I never worried about it.  Hope this is a help to you.  The othe questions, I don't know the answers to.
Bob - W9BOB
K0RS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2000, 07:44:48 AM »

The ARRL antenna manual gives a guideline of a minimum of 40 inches between a 6m and 2m beam.  They also state 80 inches as preferable.  The rule of thumb is half the boom length of the highest frequency antenna in the stack.  I have a 6m beam with stacked 2m beams both above and below it.  The 2m beams are about 50 inches from the 6m antenna with no apparant interaction.  The boom length of the 6m beam is 15' and the 2m beams are about 14' long.
N8LB

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2000, 06:11:14 PM »

my 2m vs 6m beams r stacked close and work successfully, however 6m beam is horiz. and 2m vert....the horiz 2m beam is 90 degree offset...not perfect but all within 3ft  and they work....
KG4BOD

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2000, 04:49:59 PM »

I have a 9 element M2 two meter beam horizontaly mounted 4 feet above a 5 element six meter beam, also horizontal. I have great performance from both antennas, worked South America on 6 meter openings, and work 2 meters sideband regularly 150-300 miles out. The folks at M2 told me because of frequency relationship of 2 to 6 meters, the distance wasn't as much a factor as having the antenna operating on higher frequencies ON TOP. Yes, maybe more spacing would enhance performance, but using both beams on a single 5 foot mast works well for me. Good Luck, John
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: