Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: High Q Antennas  (Read 1706 times)
KI8HW

Ignore
« on: March 22, 2002, 11:24:16 PM »

Just wanted to let everyone know that I am really pleased with my Stealth II-.3 antenna and I consider it one of the smartest purchases that I've made to date.

The antenna works very well and I have had a lot of good reports while using it. I'll Proubly have to buy some filters for my Icom 706 now,I didnt know there were that many signals on the bands(HAHA).

Everyone that sees your antenna is impressed with the workmanship. The antenna is very well built. And performs very well. Reports of 5/9/9 or 5/9 are not uncommon.

Charlie the person responsible for bringing us the High Q Stealth antennas is very helpful and did his best to accomidate all the many questions that I had and I had quite a few,regaurding everything from price to mounting.

I had the antenna installed on my car in about a week and have been using it for a little over a month now,still nuthing bad to say about it. If your into HF mobiling you have got to check out these antennas,it's a must.

A happy coustomer,
Stephen Smith, KI8HW
W6PEA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2002, 11:44:20 PM »

I purchased a Hi-Q StealthII-3/80 from Charlie on 4-10-02. I went to his home, (a distance of almost 100 miles one way) to both purchase and have him install it on my truck as it was recommended that I have Charlie do the install. I gave him a check for $575 in payment for the antenna and the install.
I took the antenna back to him because we couldn't get it to tune correctly. He found the problem and repaired the mechanism inside it. He hooked the antenna back up to my AM-COM ASC100 Controller. He attached a plastic bracket to the side of my truck so the antenna would not sway back and forth. He charged me $100.00 for his time and I paid him cash.
Not one HAM who has seen this installation, including those that do this for a living, has had a good word to say about it. Many times the phrase, "Mickey Mouse" has been used.
I had more problems with it as it didn't tune correctly. I tried several times to get in touch with Charlie and never got a call back from him.
On Sunday, June 30th, I wanted to take the antenna off to get my truck under a canopy and when I tried to use the quick release feature, the bolt that holds the GQD Base to the mounting bracket fell off in my hand. My wife witnessed this as she was standing there watching.
I posted a product review and only then did I get a response from Charlie. In his response, he said I should be more "humble" becasue I was just a TECH, that I wasn't a very good HAM if I couldn't install my own antennas, that I didn't deserve one of his antennas and that he was demanding I return it to him. He wanted to refund my money for just the antenna and not the install fees. He also threatened me with his lawyer if I didn't do this. He demanded I retract my "stupid" statements on e-ham.net and to "expect to explain my character assassinations and lies to a judge".
I have looked up in the archives to find out how others have fared with any complaints about his antennas. I found him to be very defensive when called upon to take care of any complaints.
I choose this antenna as I had heard good things about it. I still want one, but I want one that works. To date the antenna has not worked properly as claimed by the manufacturer.
Customer service is of great importance these days. No company should feel so superior to others that they ignore valid complaints. The install was done by Charlie, the antenna was made by Charlie and this is his company. To stand behind his products and take care of any errors is not too much to expect.
If you would like to see Charliie's full response to me, please email me privately and I will forward it to you.
73's Pat Allen, W6PEA
W6PEA@ARRL.net

W6HIQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2004, 11:44:06 PM »

I first learned about his so called problem from PA3DUV by email to see the eham product review.
Immidiatly after reding it I have contacted pea and OFFERD HIM 100 % money back, which he has NOT accepted!Oh I still like your antenna!!!

Yes, two years ago I have spent a total of 9 hrs 105 degree tempreture on pea's junky pick up truck under HIS supervison! He has dictated the location to mount the antenna  A FLIMZY 5 MPH bumper of the mid 70's layed under it to RE-RUN the coax and the control wires he had some one else install earlier in the SD area. Inside the filthy truck I had to manuver amongts half eaten hamburgers and rats nest!
His problem was the messed up wireing of the KO6YD antenna controller, that I had REFUSED to dwell into.
The antenna HAS performed to specification when it was tested by him! His second visit was to ADD a bace below the coil to over come of the flimzy bumber that has given a POOR mounting platform!

He's lies about try to contact me has no basis: no phone call record, no email and since he has been at this QTH twice he could have came over the third time.
He did ENTERTAIN me with his sad sorry that he was KICKED out of the the Navy where he was a trash truck driver and the terrible times he had with his exwifes!
He is a LOOSER with no back bone to admit that there was a 100% refund offer and would not clear his occusations leveled at me.
I pride myself on providing QUALITY HF antenna products and HAD before him and HAVE now impecable reputation.
Due to this incident I have decided that NEVER again I will do ANY installation, does not matter even if he is a 400 lb slob!

Charlie Gyenes, W6HIQ
TERRY_PERRY_EX_W3VR

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2009, 02:13:14 PM »

Charlie, I hope you are reading this.

Out of all the the antennas I've examined of this type, the HI-Q 5/160 T.A.D. I recently purchased from Charlie is constructed equal to (perhaps greater than in some ways) aerospace quality. I love aircraft, have worked on them, and the electronics systems installed in them most of my adult life (just turned 50, started as a teen apprentice for my father). I think this HI-Q antenna system will out live me.

Since I placed my order for my HI-Q in the month of May, I didn't expect a response from Charlie until the first week of June since he was on vacation during May. That would have been fine. But, the last week of May, Charlie contacted me, made some suggestions on accessories, and four days later the order was at my door.

Thanks Charlie!

As far as the "sour grapes" complants about Charlie out there, there's two sides to every story.

Charlie is a very bright and talented individual, who also happens to be a ham. He has a very impressive background. I wish there were more people like him making high quality electronics products for amateur radio. Charlie is also a stand up guy. If he tells you he will do something, you can count on it. That was my experience.

If you are a ham, you should be able set up your own antenna system. You shouldn't have to have Charlie, or anyone else hold your hand. With all the technical source material available on electronics, there is no excuse.

Figure it out! That's what hams do! Put in some careful time and effort, and you will learn something. You may learn a lot!

Do the work, and don't expect someone there with a baby spoon waiting to feed you the answer.

Charlie treated me well. I have no complaints. I don't know for sure, but I'm thinking Charlie doesn't have much tolerance for nonsense. And, if you are a cheap, chintzy type person wanting something for nothing, perhaps the HI-Q antennas are not for you. Make it yourself, or go buy some of the cheap cobbled together junk that's out there.

W3VR
N4NOO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2009, 12:38:18 AM »

I started to research equipment for a mobile setup in September 2008.  After reading everything on line and talking to everyone I could, I went with the Hi-Q 6/160 RT/MC-3-H.

I also bought the Shakespeare #4245-1 Rigidized Military Spring Mount and the EB-8 Capacitance Hat. I am using a Radio Shack stainless steel whip cut down to three feet which is mounted above the EB-8.

It worked the first time I tried it on the air.  And not just sorta worked. The most often heard comment is "That's the best sounding mobile I've ever heard".

Charlie was a great help with the order process and the parts arrived in three days.  Nothing but first class all the way.

The 6/160 RT/MC-3-H is a mil-spec HF antenna.  This ia an antenna that works as advertised.

When you are ready to get a "real" HF antenna and stop playing with and waisting your money on junk, get yourself the best.

I hope to hear you soon on the air,  I'm sure you will hear me!
TERRY_PERRY_EX_W3VR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2009, 07:40:00 AM »

"High Q Antenna is the best I've ever tried!  Reply  
by N4NOO on June 24, 2009  Mail this to a friend!  
I started to research equipment for a mobile setup in September 2008. After reading everything on line and talking to everyone I could, I went with the Hi-Q"

What sold me on Charlies antennas was the aerospace/military grade construction of most of the important components (I believe there are many that can't appreciate this), and of course their performance.

I won't mention some the other brands I've tried, but they don't come close. If I had easy, direct access to all the finest materials, and tooling to make an antenna of this type, I would make them the same way Charlie does.

The only things I've changed so far are the electrical connectors on the controller & coupler, and the wiring/cables to/from the antenna/coupler/controller.

W3VR
KF6NTE

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 12:26:23 PM »

I purchased the Hi-Q-2.5/80 antenna from Charline several months ago and I have been absolutely amazed with its performance. Even on 80meters I am able to reach people over 500 miles away with less than 15watts !.  Charlie has been responsive, helpful and very professional with every one of my inquiries. But you do  have to do your own research and make sure your installation is well done. His web site offers a fairly thorough installation manual with very helpful hints. Make no mistake, these antennas are very challenging to operate while mobile. The most significant hurdle is being able to provide proper mechanical support (after all the electrical RF gound bonding issues are addressed). This is something Charlie can't possibly be expected to guarantee anybody. I am sorry to read such a negative incident on this forum but I can assure everybody Charlie is a decent professional who stands by his products. I am now considering purchasing one of his 160m capable antennas soon. I recommend his business ethics and products highly !!!. Don't give it another thought and buy from Charlie. You will find nothing better.
73, Luis, NY6U
TERRY_PERRY_EX_W3VR

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 01:30:40 PM »

Yes Charlie is a great guy, and makes a fine antenna system. I've got 2 of the 5/160's with all the accessories to use both as a dipole. I haven't had a lot of time to enjoy them, but they were easy to set up, and work great.

They only complaints you'll probably read/hear about are from the idiots that buy them that have no business with a ham license, and can't read their equipment manuals well enough to figure out how to use a microwave oven, or electric can opener.

Understandably, Charlie has little patience with lazy stupid people, and I understand his frustration. He should probably be careful who he sells to.

And this fool;

Pat Allen, W6PEA, W6PEA@ARRL.net, is a liar. He couldn't produce the email he speaks of.

What the hell happened to hams that know anything about electronics? The only ones I've met so far are the oldtimers, and others that got their experience in commercial electronics.

W3VR
KC0W

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2009, 02:34:27 PM »

I installed one of Charlies fine antennas on my Range Rover a number of years ago. Thing worked like a champ & rewarded me with MANY "New Ones" while operating CW Mobile..........HI-Q antennas (and screwdriver antennas in general)aren't for the timid who don't like to be looked at strangely while driving. Even stopping at a gas station will bring many questions from others asking, "what is that thing"?

Tom KC├śW
K5ALU

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2009, 07:10:55 AM »

greetings to all !  I have had HIQ's for as long as they have been in business and love their antennas !
I am what some of you would consider a professional mobile guy averaging 35-40,000 miles a year, so my antennas get a real work-out in all sorts of weather.
I run 500 watts to keep them warm and cozy @
Charlie gives great customer service, so next time you need a good, effecient mobile antenna give him a call, but remember each installation is different, and you must experiement to get your antenna installed correctly.
Best 73
de
RED K5ALU
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: