The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Me and My Arrow.......Account  (Read 3637 times)
W6EM

Ignore
« on: January 27, 2018, 05:46:46 PM »

I'm probably not going to order anymore components from Arrow Electronics.  Great, free shipping, if over $20 in parts.  However......

I ordered an assortment of 1/2 watt zeners and 30 80A P-Mosfets and some ancient CD4000 series logic for my parts collection.  I'm going to build a small DC transfer switch.

So, after the parts arrived the next day, I received a phone call.  The caller, who identified himself as being from Arrow, noted that I had purchased a "rather large quantity of parts."  He then asked me what I was going to do with them.  After a lengthy hesitation......as I turned purple, I told him "for hobby uses."  That was the end of the call.

The more I thought about it, the madder I got.  Do they suspect me of some heinous offense?  Am I on someone's "list?"

I've order similar orders in the past from Mouser, Newark and Anchor Electronics.  Never had any of them ask me what I was going to do with them.

Let's see..... The Infineon MOSFETs are imported from Deutschland.  The 50 year old zeners, probably from  China.  And, the 30 year old CMOS also likely from China.  A manager emailed me to say that some of the items were "export controlled," by our Department of Commerce, and they had to ask.  Really?  How about a check box indicating back to them I won't re-export their imported items!!!!

So, needless to say, no more Arrow orders.

Lee
AC7CW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2018, 07:48:21 PM »

Bureaucratic nonsense, that's all. It does bother people after awhile of course. The Brits left the EU last year due to exactly such stuff.

Novice 1958, 20WPM Extra now... (and get off my lawn)
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2018, 03:54:21 AM »

Lee,

Unlike many distributors, Arrow is not just a mail order outfit. They have a staff of salespersons/account reps that look after commercial accounts. I suspect they were simply following up on the order in the hopes of developing a new commercial account.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KF5JOT

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2018, 07:38:27 AM »

Personally, I wouldn't get my shorts in a wad over it. The quantities probably caused a request for verification on some of the parts. I've dealt with ITAR stuff for most of my career and it covers lots of things in the commercial world.  I've had to deal with getting export licenses for what was essentially a piece of pipe, with some holes in it due to having a certain part number on it after being built up.

For a number of years, pepper sauce of any type with a concentration of 2% or better was a listed ITAR item....

Way easier to have answered them via phone than ignore them or not answer and get a visit from the feds...
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2018, 11:52:27 AM »

Lee,

Unlike many distributors, Arrow is not just a mail order outfit. They have a staff of salespersons/account reps that look after commercial accounts. I suspect they were simply following up on the order in the hopes of developing a new commercial account.

- Glenn W9IQ

Glenn has it the nail on the head. 
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2018, 07:06:19 PM »

Had I not heard from a supervisor via a subsequent response to my email expressing concern over the call, perhaps.  But, the way the question was put to me was not in a way that would solicit future repeat or expanded orders.

The supervisor confirmed the purpose of the call (and) that such calls happen frequently at Arrow.  It may have been triggered by the quantity of P-FETs.

It seems totally ludicrous that our Commerce Department restricts or has restricted the re-export of imported goods.  That's about the craziest idea I've ever heard.  No wonder we aren't competitive internationally.
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2018, 03:07:41 AM »

Lee,

It sounds like export compliance (ITAR, etc.) issues. Either Arrow has had a Federal audit or they have a compliance officer trying to ensure the Feds stay away.

If a firm is found in violation, the repercussions can cripple a business. These checks are becoming more common as the Feds add more denied parties and entities to the lists. There are now software companies that sell nothing but export compliance tools.

I would anticipate this will become more common place with electronics distributors.

- Glenn W9IQ

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
W6EM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2018, 06:08:13 PM »

Thanks, Glenn, for the perspective.  I looked at this as though it was back in the days when the components were new.  And, as if I was buying them from the local Radio Shack, not an international vendor.

The world today is a much different place than it was 30 years ago.

Lee
AF6AU

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2018, 09:48:20 AM »

We might live in the land of the free, but with all the paranoia and fear, plus businesses searching for new mega-accounts, Homeland security, the NSA, and FBI are on watch for anything that could be a threat, and/or sales and marketing working for suppliers fighting for a sales $$$.

Any product suppliers that have decent quantity sales to a new account (You..Mr. Hobbiest) are going to contact you, hoping to gain a new manufacturing account. After all, you could have been a circuit prototype designer for an eventual 100,000 quantity variable speed fan, or adjustable heat electric blanket. So 95% chance it's sales/marketing driven.

Big brother is watching though....
Many states want addresses and I.D. to buy ammo now.
Buy a couple hundred pounds of sugar in certain places, and the local agencies will think you are a moonshiner.

Other people here noted E.A.R., O.F.A.C. and I.T.A.R. (all Gov't Export Agencies), and yes, a Company selling certain products or materials, has to be sure where their items end up and the end use. The Gov't list is based by the item, material or product, the end country, and there even is an individual no-no person list. A Company can be held liable if their product is resold or re-exported via a third party to a no-no list country or person. An I.T.A.R. violation as of January 9 can be $500K for 1 offense. A big one can be well over $1.1 million.

Because the caller cut-off at the "Hobby" word, it's all sales driven. If the caller continued with inquiry, then they might be thinking the parts are for a destructive use or export, and you might be a new person of interest. A Gov't person would also identify themselves.

So just like going through a airport for a flight in the last 18 years, you can be annoyed by the increased security and your loss of some privacy, or be glad it's there. It's how you look at it.

Now, if you were a "bad guy" would a silly check box promise, stop you from anything?

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: