Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: NMO or PO mount?  (Read 2796 times)
KC9ALQ

Ignore
« on: November 19, 2001, 09:53:20 AM »

Hi,
I'm a newby to the hobby and looking to get a dual band mobil 2m/440 antenna. I see they come in 2 mounts NMO or PO. I have searched hi and low on the internet for info to help me decide which one is better/worse.

Can anyone offer advice or a link to info on theses mounts?

Thanks in advance for you help.

73s,
Mike S
KC9ALQ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2001, 12:51:08 PM »

Go with NMO.  Both NMO and PO are good mounts up through 470 MHz; however NMO mount antennas are much more readily available from a wide range of manufacturers, and the mount itself is a lower-profile device, so when it's mounted in a hole in your roof it is barely visible when the antenna's removed.  That has advantages with regard to resale value of the vehicle.

73 de Steve WB2WIK/6
KC9ALQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2001, 01:08:59 PM »

Thanks Steve....I didn't mention I was going with a mag mount as I can't bear to drill a big hole in my new truck. I also frequent parking garages which also kind of rules out permanent mount.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2001, 02:40:12 PM »

Hi Mike,

It's not a big hole, it's 3/4" and will do less long-term damage to the roof of your truck than taking off and putting on a mag mount all the time.

I always punch the hole and never regret it...15 or 16 vehicles in a row now, with a punched hole in the roof of every one of them.  Never impacted trade-in or resale value by a dollar.  Nobody mentions an antenna mount when buying a 3 or 4 year-old vehicle, and that's when I trade or sell them, usually.

The difference in performance is rather astounding.

And a low-profile permanent mount, e.g., 146/440 MHz whip about 36" tall, will just flex over when going into parking structures.  Mine does, every day of the week, and has been for years.

73, Steve WB2WIK/6

INITZERO

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2001, 11:24:51 AM »

> I didn't mention I was going with a mag mount as
> I can't bear to drill a big hole in my new truck.

Drill the hole or go with a glass mount. Mag mounts
work great on rental cars but they will tear your
paint up in the long term. If you really want to
protect your truck, don't use a mag mount.

As to NMO or PO, I like NMO. It has more surface
area and doesn't stick up as far. In my opinion,
the larger surface area makes it less likely to
rip off the car. It spreads the load over a greater
area of steel.

As another noted, there also seems to be more
antenna choices with the NMO mount.

Please let us know what you end up with.

Matt (k4mls)
KC9ALQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2001, 02:49:32 PM »

I agree that the mag mount will probably do more damage in the long run than a perm mount but I didn't plan on using it on the vehicle.

I still can't see a perm mount in the roof of my trucks while parking in a parking garage. 7 feet cealings of concrete will make for a quite short antenna in a few weeks I would think.

My current plan was to make a removable/adjustable stand of some sort in the bed and place the mag mount on it. Would there be any difference in a mag or perm mount for this type of situation? I have learned that some whips were not designed for mag mounts which I would think rules out a perm mount on a stand in the truck bed.

One other thought was a the higher gain 60" whips, where do you mount these? I have no problem mounting to my bumper but would imagine thats not much of a place for an omni directional antenna.

Appreciate any more input.

KC9ALQ
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2001, 02:54:07 PM »

On a bracket in the pickup's bed, I'd be even more inclined to use a permanent mount, since whatever you mount to is probably an inexpensive and easy to replace piece of metal.  All the mounts allow you to unscrew the antenna (if you want to hide it, or if it's in the way for some reason) in the same time as it takes to remove a mag mount: About two seconds.

Permanent mounts cost less and work better than mag mounts, I just can't see the purpose of a mag mount for anything other than very temporary (rental car) use.

73, Steve WB2WIK/6
KC9AGY

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2001, 07:58:59 AM »

Steve,

I'm gonna look at what I can get in the the order of a 12" or so antenna. If they have/make one with reasonable performance I'm gonna go with your suggestion for one of my trucks.

If I can't get a resonable antenna in 1' length I will go with the perm mount for my bed.

Thanks for your input

Mike
KC9ALQ

KU4AB

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2002, 02:49:05 PM »

a 1/4 wave antenna will restrict your range even if it
is mounted on top.. my experiences show it marginal in
to a repeater at about 15 miles.. almost any repeater..
i'd look at one of the mounts that use the stake pocket
of the pickup and then put a flexible 5/8 wave like
the larson nmo-150 or maybe one of the foldover
antennas like comet, diamond, and others make.. then
a garage will not be a problem..and you will benefit
from the gain of the longer antenna..73's phil
KU4AB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2002, 02:49:08 PM »

a 1/4 wave antenna will restrict your range even if it
is mounted on top.. my experiences show it marginal in
to a repeater at about 15 miles.. almost any repeater..
i'd look at one of the mounts that use the stake pocket
of the pickup and then put a flexible 5/8 wave like
the larson nmo-150 or maybe one of the foldover
antennas like comet, diamond, and others make.. then
a garage will not be a problem..and you will benefit
from the gain of the longer antenna..73's phil
KA9ZIM

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2002, 11:58:11 AM »

I have an NMO mount on the roof of my truck.  NMO antennas unscrew very easily.  When I'm parking in a parking garage I just stop a block or two before I get there and remove the antenna and screw on the NMO rain cap to protect the mount from moisture.  I've been doing this for 6 years without a problem.  I use a Larsen dual band unity gain antenna locally because I can park in my garage with it.  It hits the door on the way in but it's got a lot of spring in it.  When I travel I remove the unity gain antenna and install a high gain dual band antenna for better range.  

The best place to install the NMO mount is directly over the interior light.  Remove the light to drill through the roof and route the coax along the harness feeding the light.  This makes installation very easy.  

Nothing beats the NMO mount.  Its got to be the most widely used commercial mount.  
KB9TYC

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2002, 03:23:01 AM »

NMO Mount by far.  If you frequent parking ramps, garages, ect.  Get a antenna that tilts over.  I have a Comet SBB-7NMO Dual Band Antenna and that works great.

Paul
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: