The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Alinco 196t HT  (Read 2538 times)
2M_MAN

Ignore
« on: July 21, 2002, 11:20:45 PM »

Is the Alinco 196t anygood? i have little money because im only 13 and live in az . What is a good HT to get? How far will 5w go using an HT? will i be able to hit repeaters

73's
KD7SDY
KA7ENP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2002, 02:51:23 PM »

It's been quite a while since I last shopped for an HT so I'll leave the specific assessment of the latest versions up to those who have. Also, do not forget to check out the product reviews on this site, you will find them pretty much up to date and coming from the real world warts and all perspective of users. Five watts under the usual propagation conditions to be found on 2m will certainly allow you to hit the local repeaters and do some simplex work, provided that you have a fairly decent antenna (meaning something other than the rubber duckie that comes with the HT). Exact estimates as to the line of sight range five watts can attain are highly dependent on the height of the antenna above the ground, obstructions in the vicinity of the antenna, and to some extent the gain of the antenna. Height of the antenna is probably the most significant factor in making such estimates, a high antenna driven by a transmitter of low to moderate power will normally outreach a low antenna driven by a high power transmitter.

KA7ENP
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: