Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap 6m SSB Radio  (Read 6580 times)
KC2IVL

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2003, 11:23:46 PM »

> Yea, that MFJ radio looks nice, and the price is
> halfway decent, but it only covers 50.0-50.3MHz, isn't
> that coverage a little short?

Not at all, while the 6m band goes from 50-54MHz, the bandplan for SSB is from 50.100 and 50.600, with almost all of the activity between 50.100 and 50.250.

If interested in 6m PSK31, try using 50.290
N0ICQ

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2013, 03:01:39 PM »

hi,  I know this is a old thread, was wondering if people would give their opinions of what kinds of 6m rigs they are using today.  thanks for any info you can give, just thinking a maybe getting into the 6m band.   73  N0ICQ
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2013, 04:36:04 PM »

The only thing new today (except QRP) for 6M are the HF+6M rigs. Its fairly easy during design to add 6M to an all-band HF rig these days. Otherwise you are stuck with adding a transverter.
AF5CC

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2013, 10:10:39 PM »

Ranger makes a 100 watt 6m monoband rig-the 5054DX-100.  For what they sell for new, though, you could find a used Icom 706 original and also get HF, 2m, a built in keyer, and the ability to add narrow filters.

John AF5CC
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2013, 08:43:08 PM »

UPDATE/UPDATE, there should be little to no TVI any longer on the 6m band with TV gone to digital.
Any rig could have local issues on any band, within an apartment complex or close by to a TV that is open to interference.
Most often today, the TV causes RFI to a radio.
Good luck.
K0SBV

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2013, 07:09:27 PM »

I too would recommend the Ranger RCI-5054 DX100.  That rig enabeled me to get back on the air four years ago after a ten year absence due to strong HOA rules here in Arizona. Using it in stealth mode with a Squalo on top of a 18' painter's pole sitting in a Radio Shack tripod located just off my patio helped me stay out of sight of the Antenna Police and yet work 38 states and five contries on six that first summer.
KD8IIC

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2013, 08:39:36 AM »

50.0 to 50.1 is CW portion, SSB is 50.1-50.3 per band plan..
KF7VXA

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2013, 07:48:01 AM »

I picked up a Yaesu 690 R II with the 10 watt amp on back for just over $200.00 on flea bay and it's a great little rig. SSB or FM and has everything you need in a portable radio (it's not an HT). With a good antenna and decent openings, it will talk quite a distance.
If found at a good price, check one out. It even has a battery pack and antenna for use at 2.5 watts.

John
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2013, 10:08:04 PM »

UPDATE/UPDATE, there should be little to no TVI any longer on the 6m band with TV gone to digital.
Any rig could have local issues on any band, within an apartment complex or close by to a TV that is open to interference.
Most often today, the TV causes RFI to a radio.
Good luck.
Actually it can be worse...with a DTV, any interference to it will cause it to not decode and mute...I have seen 100w on 6 cause a DTV to shut down on ALL channels...remember, DTVs are more computers than anything else..just that they have a RF tuner (wideband) in it...in interference tests, anything that is -15dbC (15db below the carrier signal in question) or higher will cause the DTV to quit decoding the stream...Also cable systems still running analog havent gone away (my local TWC uses RF 2 for local station that WAS on RF4 and now is on RF40 with their digital...why they havent moved it to RF4 on the cable is anyone's guess).
WB5ITT

Ignore
« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2013, 10:18:37 PM »

I picked up a Yaesu 690 R II with the 10 watt amp on back for just over $200.00 on flea bay and it's a great little rig. SSB or FM and has everything you need in a portable radio (it's not an HT). With a good antenna and decent openings, it will talk quite a distance.
If found at a good price, check one out. It even has a battery pack and antenna for use at 2.5 watts.

John

One poster earlier listed a lot of the used rigs out there with SSB in them on 6....A FT680 is rare to find..so are the 690R models I and II (difference is the I does AM and is only 2.5 watts on all modes but doesnt have LSB..for some reason, Yaesu removed AM and put LSB on the RII model...I have both) The RII rcvr is not bad but not as sensitive as my FT857D...I am trying to decide what preamp to put in it....ICOM did make a IC560 mobile..all mode and about 25w SSB..though that is a very rare rig to find...The 551 series is good but the FM was optional and if you buy one without the FM module, you probably wont find one to upgrade...
Also I dont think the 551 squelch worked on SSB (though all SSB squelches are AGC driven and dont open on VERY weak signals..a vocal squelch that responds to human voice would be best for noise floor monitoring...HR Magazine had an article on such a unit and a marine company in FL sells one...it used to be a kit but now all they sell is the completed unit for twice the price!
I have a FT690RI that I plan to sell.....keeping the 690RII for now...also remember a lot of HF+6 rigs exist....I have a Kenwood TS680 that has a decent rcvr on 6 and can turned up to about 25w out on the amp....plus I added a noise squelch mod to mine (it floats on the internet thanks to WB5HJV who posted it but I was the one who came up with it)...yet it has the same issues as an AGC squelch....a TS680 can be found for a good price....I also bought my IC706 for only $300 in an estate sale...decent rig on 6 and 2 SSB...
Some older rigs may go for more money that what you may want to spend due to rarity....I dont recommend the MFJ series when you can get something better for just a little more..
Chris
WB5ITT
KB1TXK

Ignore
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2013, 05:20:39 PM »

Unless your neighbor's OTA TV antenna is DIRECTLY in the path of your 3-element quad.  I guess putting 100w directly at his antenna during the races (that he was trying to watch on TV) made him a bit irritated when his video AND audio dropped completely. Oops.

Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: