Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Linux has a catastrophic flaw...  (Read 5755 times)
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #45 on: October 03, 2014, 10:40:26 AM »

Yup! Linux on the desktop has come a long way.

In fact, the version of Linux I use (Knoppix) can be installed on a USB flash drive.
I stick that drive into any computer that will boot from a flash drive (a CD version is available).
Nothing is installed on the computer I'm booting up.

I originally started using Knoppix to repair (or recover files from)  computers that wouldn't boot, but more and more I'm using it as my primary OS.

Many distros have a utility that will let you create a Live CD/DVD or USB based on your installed distro, with persistent storage. All point and clink. no cli. No compiling.

Rick KK4GGL
VA3MVW

Ignore
« Reply #46 on: Yesterday at 07:50:29 PM »

Light bulbs? This is a joke, right?

Also, Mac OS X is a UNIX, it is not "derived from Linux".

And the bug is simple to fix, and in any case has not been around for a while now. If you have done updates you are fine.

K5TED

Ignore
« Reply #47 on: Yesterday at 08:05:14 PM »

So the only defense Linux fans have is that some distros have a Live CD option?

Linux is not relevant for most PC users. It's ugly, crippled, and not widely supported or useful for the average user.

Not saying it doesn't work OK, because it does just fine with the limited number of programs available for ham use. Just not a popular cup of tea at the moment.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #48 on: Today at 05:47:58 AM »

So the only defense Linux fans have is that some distros have a Live CD option?

Defense against what? When I was speaking about the LiveCD creations, it was in the context of creating one from the user's distribution.

Linux is not relevant for most PC users. It's ugly, crippled, and not widely supported or useful for the average user.

Most consumer oriented distributions are definitely NOT ugly. I have no idea what you mean by "crippled" or by "not widely supported". They are definitely useful for "the average user".

Not saying it doesn't work OK, because it does just fine with the limited number of programs available for ham use. Just not a popular cup of tea at the moment.

How many Amateur Radio related programs must be GnuLinux native before it gains your approval?

No comments about the progress in patching Shellshock?

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #49 on: Today at 01:08:45 PM »

Most consumer oriented distributions are definitely NOT ugly. I have no idea what you mean by "crippled" or by "not widely supported". They are definitely useful for "the average user".

If this was remotely true, It would have far greater support and wider use. Linux is a niche home OS at best.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #50 on: Today at 01:39:13 PM »

If this was remotely true, It would have far greater support and wider use. Linux is a niche home OS at best.

You really need to learn to differentiate between different Linux uses. Android has a Linux kernel. It can be considered "Linux". Many devices use embedded Linux kernels. This can be considered "Linux". You seem to believe that GnuLinux distributions are the only systems that use the Linux kernel. They are not.

The main reason GnuLinux and MacOS don't have larger installed user bases is because of the network effects of an illegally maintained monopoly.

Maybe you can prove that GnuLinux is ugly. No? Didn't think so.

Define "greater support".

You say that "Linux is a niche home OS at best". Wow. Just Wow. Many domestic and international government agencies use GnuLinux distributions. Many companies use them. Look around the Internet and you will find a large percentage of servers use GnuLinux for servers. Netcraft says eham.net is using Linux as well as the ARRL, SK6AW.net, and QRZ.
... a "niche home OS at best". Hilarious.

Rick KK4GGL
W0BTU

Ignore
« Reply #51 on: Today at 01:56:45 PM »

Well, I just LOVE my niche Linux OS. :-)
I didn't realize it was ugly, but if you say so ...  Grin

There are three things certain in life, it seems;
1. Death
2. Taxes
3. Some people will always badmouth Linux, regardless of the distro
« Last Edit: Today at 02:00:04 PM by W0BTU » Logged

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #52 on: Today at 02:18:14 PM »

You say that "Linux is a niche home OS at best". Wow. Just Wow. Many domestic and international government agencies use GnuLinux distributions. Many companies use them. Look around the Internet and you will find a large percentage of servers use GnuLinux for servers. Netcraft says eham.net is using Linux as well as the ARRL, SK6AW.net, and QRZ.

It is hilarious to suggest it is not a niche OS for home usage. Being used by some servers has zero bearing on home usage. A Black Berry OS 10.x derivative is used by several car makers for a in car OS because it talk well with IOS and Android phones. Does this make it a great home OS? No. For many years Walmart used a version of OS2 for inventory management. Does it make it a great home OS? No. Same with Linux. Wishful thinking will not change this.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #53 on: Today at 03:06:27 PM »

It is hilarious to suggest it is not a niche OS for home usage. Being used by some servers has zero bearing on home usage. A Black Berry OS 10.x derivative is used by several car makers for a in car OS because it talk well with IOS and Android phones. Does this make it a great home OS? No. For many years Walmart used a version of OS2 for inventory management. Does it make it a great home OS? No. Same with Linux. Wishful thinking will not change this.

You said "Linux is a niche home OS at best". That seems to exclude GnuLinux in other uses, and relegates it to the "home niche". I gave examples that use outside GnuLinux outside the home. Your above explanation goes in the other direction.

As far as home use goes, GnuLinux has WP, SS, DB apps. Audio and video editing apps. Audio and video playing apps. Graphics editing apps. VOIP apps. And Ham apps. IT prints from almost anything.

... and how is "Linux ugly"?

Rick KK4GGL
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #54 on: Today at 03:52:33 PM »

You said "Linux is a niche home OS at best". That seems to exclude GnuLinux in other uses, and relegates it to the "home niche". I gave examples that use outside GnuLinux outside the home. Your above explanation goes in the other direction.

As far as home use goes, GnuLinux has WP, SS, DB apps. Audio and video editing apps. Audio and video playing apps. Graphics editing apps. VOIP apps. And Ham apps. IT prints from almost anything.

As a home use OS, Linux will never reach critical mass. Mac is a small niche OS too and Linux is even smaller.

KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #55 on: Today at 03:59:26 PM »

As a home use OS, Linux will never reach critical mass. Mac is a small niche OS too and Linux is even smaller.

A correction.. GnuLinux. --Linux- is the kernel that Android is based on. Be specific.

And yes, I don't think GnuLinux or Mac OS will gain any significant increase of the desktop userbase. But then, versions of Android may morph into desktop OSen.

Rick KK4GGL
AJ1Z

Ignore
« Reply #56 on: Today at 09:41:00 PM »

A correction.. GnuLinux. --Linux- is the kernel that Android is based on. Be specific.

And yes, I don't think GnuLinux or Mac OS will gain any significant increase of the desktop userbase. But then, versions of Android may morph into desktop OSen.

Use of the term "GNU/Linux" over the last 20 years has been a non-starter, rms and his minions at FSF have never been able to make the term stick. Grin

Pages: Prev 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: