The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7 vs Window 10  (Read 1684 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2015, 12:18:15 PM »

...what will Win10 run that Win7 Cannot?

More importantly, what does win 7 run that win 10 won't run?  What older software I often use will win 10 decide is too old or whatever and barf on?   

Pretty much nothing.  Might be a few driver issues but anything that works in Win8x will work on 10. Both 8 and 10  uses a updated WINRT API to replace  WIN 32 and WIN 64 API's and as long as program was properly written in old WIN 32 API standard it should run fine. If it does not it is because it was poorly written. There is a lot of misconceptions about Win 8 and 10 not running properly written programs. And programs written for WINRT supported by 8 and 10 will not run on 7. WINRT apps are tablet and PC friendly so it is but a matter of time before they reach critical mass in market place.

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new technology and change with it or cling tightly to old technology and fall further behind everyday....
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #31 on: Yesterday at 09:39:50 AM »

Go with Windows 7.

It is good till 2020

If you decide to go with Windows 10 after getting the Win 7 machine you can always upgrade within the year of it's release.

Another option is to go with Windows 8.1 and install the classic shell. It is good till 2023 and you also have the option of installing Windows 10 within a year of it's release.

The privacy issues surrounding Windows 10 is becoming apparent if not enormous. Windows 10 might be banned in some countries like Russia, other countries are taking a hard look at it like the Switzerland privacy rights group.

http://cubiclane.com/windows-10-microsofts-latest-operating-system-windows-10-under-scrutiny-in-switzerland-10365/

"Swiss Federal Police launched a clarification process for Microsoft’s Windows 10. “If necessary, we will issue a recommendation,” said Jean-Philippe Walter, Federal Commissioner for data protection and transparency."

And

“If Microsoft does not review its privacy policy, Windows 10 could be the subject of a recommendation prohibiting its purchase,”

There is a claim that your privacy settings are reset after every update. Why? Apparently you can't filter out the telemetry data that is sent without a level of sophistication.  Want to get rid of Cortana? You can't, it comes back. Why are the Enterprise editions of Windows 10 different and why is it not available to the public?

Please don't take my word for it, or anyone here. Read all 313 comments and you get a clear picture of the privacy issues surrounding Windows 10.

http://tech.slashdot.org/story/15/08/24/1853251/a-breakdown-of-the-windows-10-privacy-policy

If you don't have time to go through all 313 comments. Check these out.

http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=7898373&cid=50383581

"You can turn off the keystroke thing, but Microsoft routinely resets preferences, including privacy preferences, when you run an update. So you have to keep checking it and make sure it's off. However, I doubt very much if it matters. You're sending EVERYTHING to Microsoft and they can use it for any purpose."

http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=7898373&cid=50384099

" 4. Why does Microsoft still send data even when I disable access?
You can't fully opt out of sending diagnostic information

And 6. Who is Microsoft sharing this data with, and when?
We also share data with Microsoft-controlled affiliates and subsidiaries; with vendors working on our behalf; when required by law or to respond to legal process; to protect our customers; to protect lives; to maintain the security of our services; and to protect the rights or property of Microsoft. "

Unfortunately these telemetry phone home apps are also in Windows 7 and 8 but you can delete them. Not so in Windows 10.

http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=7898373&cid=50383191

"If you're running automatic updates on 7 or 8 you already have the same "telemetry" components as well. Check for installation of 3035583, 2952664, 2976978, 3021917, 3044374, 2990214, 3022345, 3068708, all of which are windows 10 related components. It seems that the last two are the diagnostics/telemetry ones with the others having more questionable intent."

And this one. http://tech.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=7898373&cid=50383939

"Get a packet sniffer on Windows ten. You can't run calculator without MS knowing.Seriously. Try it. Every time you run any of the new-style apps, including calculator or the image preview, it opens up a brief encrypted TCP connection to a MS licensing server. I have a video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?... [youtube.com]"

Further down

"I had quite a bit of fun at the weekend with wireshark seeing just what a freshly-upgraded no-software-installed Windows 10 reports, after setting every privacy option I could find to private. The answer is pretty much everything. Even if you disable searching from the start menu, it still executes the search - it just doesn't display the results. It fetches updates for the default tiles on the start menu (weather and news) even after you remove the tiles. It establishes mysterious TLS connections frequently that I can't identify the purpose of - some of them might be checking for updates, but I doubt it check for upgrades every few minutes."

If the privacy concerns aren't an issue to you. Then get Windows 10. But at least be aware of the privacy issues. Or get a Windows 7 , or 8.1 machine and install Windows 10 later on.

I don't care what OS people use, it's YOUR money. Do as YOU want. But at least be aware of some of the issues surrounding the OS you intend to use. It is a new Operating System. Maybe Microsoft will deal with the privacy issues someday by giving it's users a way of turning them off. And if enough people, companies, agencies and governments complain about it Microsoft will respond.

I bought a Lenovo Windows 8.1 laptop for $149 with the express intent of installing Windows 10 on it. After reading the many privacy issues about Windows 10. I will wait to install it. And even if I never install Windows 10. Windows 8.1 is good to 2023 so I won't be 'left in the technological dust bowl' or whatever the current technological 'buzzword of the day' is.....

i found a good deal on a desktop at Costco (store -- was not available at costco.com) with Windows 7 Home Premium -- it is much faster than my 2009 PC was and quieter too. I was surprised how little bloatware it came with.  I can always upgrade to 10 i guess within the next year, but i like 7 and don't have friends who judge me on what kind of phone or OS i am running Smiley

as for -- 3035583, 2952664, 2976978, 3021917, 3044374, 2990214, 3022345, 3068708, which are described as windows 10 related components, with the last two diagnostics/telemetry ones with the others having more questionable intent -- should i just delete them or is there a process needed to really purge them Huh

i just got a notice that "Windows 'Defender' needs to scan your computer" ...  Roll Eyes

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #32 on: Yesterday at 11:04:44 AM »

i found a good deal on a desktop at Costco (store -- was not available at costco.com) with Windows 7 Home Premium -- it is much faster than my 2009 PC was and quieter too. I was surprised how little bloatware it came with.  I can always upgrade to 10 i guess within the next year, but i like 7 and don't have friends who judge me on what kind of phone or OS i am running Smiley

At a hardware level a 2015 PC is light years ahead of a 2009 one. But your OS that roots date back to 2005 (when they developed new Vista kernel that 7 is based on is not able to use or exploit new features from power saving to fast sleep/wake to email while suspend and so on because 7 was never meant too (WIN 8x does though) It is kinda like buying a V12 Ferrari and running it on the cheapest/lowest octane gas you can find.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 11:07:19 AM by W8JX » Logged

You can embrace new technology and change with it or cling tightly to old technology and fall further behind everyday....
W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #33 on: Yesterday at 11:46:13 AM »

But your OS that roots date back to 2005 (when they developed new Vista kernel that 7 is based on is not able to use or exploit new features from power saving to fast sleep/wake to email while suspend and so on because 7 was never meant too (WIN 8x does though) It is kinda like buying a V12 Ferrari and running it on the cheapest/lowest octane gas you can find.

your analogy seems a bit skewed.  i think of it more like driving a Ferrari on roads at the speed limit where it is far from full throttle...

besides, sleep/wake/suspend is extremely fast.  are you trumpeting a speedup in nanoseconds Huh
i have also decided to stop using outlook and gmail together.  that is an unholy combination  Cheesy  i probably won't use outlook again.  and explorer has soured my to the point of any interests in trying edge
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #34 on: Yesterday at 12:24:29 PM »

i found a good deal on a desktop at Costco (store -- was not available at costco.com) with Windows 7 Home Premium -- it is much faster than my 2009 PC was and quieter too. I was surprised how little bloatware it came with.  I can always upgrade to 10 i guess within the next year, but i like 7 and don't have friends who judge me on what kind of phone or OS i am running Smiley

At a hardware level a 2015 PC is light years ahead of a 2009 one. But your OS that roots date back to 2005 (when they developed new Vista kernel that 7 is based on is not able to use or exploit new features from power saving to fast sleep/wake to email while suspend and so on because 7 was never meant too (WIN 8x does though) It is kinda like buying a V12 Ferrari and running it on the cheapest/lowest octane gas you can find.

Err, both Win 8 and 10 are also anchored in 2005. They are all NT6 kernel
IMHO there has been very little performance improvements. Most of the emphasis has been on power saving which is only relevant on laptops and tablets.
I'll correct your analogy. The Ferrari in a lappie has a 1 gallon petrol tank. The desktop has a bottomless tank so tablets and laptops HAVE to run at tickover

73 de Tony
The value of  not being made to feel like putting a fist through the monitor? PRICELESS!!!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #35 on: Yesterday at 04:08:56 PM »

There is far more to Win 8x and 10 kernal. When I was cloning drives under 7 in 64 bit and 8.x  in 64 bit the download for cloning software from same provider was over 420 meg for 8x and 10 and only 170 meg for 7 so there is a lot more difference than you imply.

Err, both Win 8 and 10 are also anchored in 2005. They are all NT6 kernel
IMHO there has been very little performance improvements. Most of the emphasis has been on power saving which is only relevant on laptops and tablets.
I'll correct your analogy. The Ferrari in a lappie has a 1 gallon petrol tank. The desktop has a bottomless tank so tablets and laptops HAVE to run at tickover

There is far more differance than you imply. THe cloning software I used from same vendor was 170 meg for Win 7 64 bit and 420 for 8x.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 05:40:35 PM by W8JX » Logged

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #36 on: Yesterday at 06:09:26 PM »

What does the 420 Mb program do that the 170 Mb version cannot do?

73 de Tony
The value of  not being made to feel like putting a fist through the monitor? PRICELESS!!!
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #37 on: Today at 01:53:55 AM »

Everyone knows that more Mb of code is always better than less  Grin
After all wasn't bloatware an innovation that Microsoft created?

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #38 on: Today at 04:05:01 AM »

It does the same thing at user interface level but extra code is because of the added complexity of OS itself and steps needed to be taken to virtualize it "hot" for cloning.

K4HB

Ignore
« Reply #39 on: Today at 07:52:03 AM »

More importantly, what does win 7 run that win 10 won't run?  What older software I often use will win 10 decide is too old or whatever and barf on?   

I can only answer that with my personal experience. The following programs/hardware worked on XP, Win 7, and continue to work on Win 10. I'll start with amateur radio hardware/programs. SignaLink USB,  DX4WIN logger, DX Lab, Digital programs MMTTY, JT65HF, & Digipan, TQSL for LoTW. These also work with no problems... Office 2003, Homesite webpage builder, Firefox browser, and Thunderbird mail client. The following still works, but required free updated programs/drivers. HP Officejet 5610v printer, Cannon Utilities for the camera, and Ge-Force video card.

The only thing not working is an ADS video capture device, but I lost that with an upgrade to Win 7. The latest drivers I can find for it is for XP.

The machine is networked in with my laptop, which is still running XP. Win 10 takes some getting used to and in my case, customizing. For example, I like to have Control Panel at my fingertips. It can easily be found by searching "My Stuff," and can be pinned to Start or Taskbar. You can clean up Start by removing junk you don't want and adding what you wish. What I don't like about Win 10 is the privacy issues that are set default by Microsoft, which I hope is now solved by following online advice. Don't want that Cortana gal blabbering to Microsoft about everything I search online, on my machine, or what's in my email. I realize privacy issues have been out there for years, but don't need anything new, especially at the magnitude that's set default in Win 10.

W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #40 on: Today at 08:30:54 AM »

Office 2003 is not supported by Win 8x because of security issues and doubt 10 would step backwards here. Office 2007 is supported.

K4HB

Ignore
« Reply #41 on: Today at 10:52:53 AM »

Office 2003 is not supported by Win 8x because of security issues and doubt 10 would step backwards here. Office 2007 is supported.

Maybe not in theory, but it's definitely on my machine and working. It was installed with Win 7 and remained in place and functional after upgrading to Win 10. I use Excel for some of my web page work, (Charts) so that was one of the first programs I checked after upgrading.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #42 on: Today at 10:54:41 AM »

LOL, not laughing at you, it's just that almost every computer Tech considers office 2003 the last version of office that was free of spyware.  Many companies require that anything confidential be done on office 2003 Only.   Ironic that MS would now turn that around.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #43 on: Today at 11:39:47 AM »

LOL, not laughing at you, it's just that almost every computer Tech considers office 2003 the last version of office that was free of spyware.  Many companies require that anything confidential be done on office 2003 Only.   Ironic that MS would now turn that around.

73s
Rob

MS changed file format for better collaboration starting with 2007. MS stopped updating office 2003 years ago and using it still is kinda foolish and likely more to save money than anything.

W9KEY

Ignore
« Reply #44 on: Today at 12:47:00 PM »

MS changed file format for better collaboration starting with 2007. MS stopped updating office 2003 years ago and using it still is kinda foolish and likely more to save money than anything.

do you laugh at people driving cars more than a few years old too Huh

why such a push for the latest-greatest?  is it a sort of anti-aging strategy?

or perhaps you are heavily invested in MS... ?
Pages: Prev 1 2 [3]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: