The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Win10 upgrade time  (Read 29670 times)
W9IQ

Ignore
« Reply #120 on: July 23, 2016, 04:45:21 PM »

The collection of cell phone metadata should be a concern for everyone. The information collected includes, on both sides of the conversation, the IMSI/ESN, the number called, the duration of the call, and the location of the caller's phone throughout the call. Collection of location information can also occur without a call taking place. With this type of information, a great deal about a person's life can be assembled including your religion or a lack of it, your shopping preferences, your movie preferences, your political leanings, if you attended a protest or rally, who you associate with, how fast you drive, your medical conditions and treatments, etc.

You should also note that police departments and other agencies deploy StingRay and KingFish like devices to gather similar information on a local basis. This is typically done without a warrant and without an FCC license. The local use of these devices with the right back-haul equipment also allows the breaking of the handset's voice encryption key. Technically, this key is also "just" metadata. Very useful to have on file when needed. Then consider that typically these devices will take down local cell service if they are not deployed with a back haul circuit to connect to the cell provider.

Most US cell carriers have the ability to install software and modify settings on your phone without your permission or knowledge. The phone can also be remotely unlocked through this protocol. You can imagine the potential nefarious uses for this ability if you are able to emulate a cellular provider.

To think that the government will always act in our best interests with this type of information is foolish thinking. The Obama administration has already demonstrated the government's propensity to misuse information that is relatively public when they deliberately delayed 501 C4 filings based on the perceived political leanings of the filer. It is not much of leap to imagine what they might do with cellular meta data that reveals much richer information. Directly related to the cell phone meta data, the Obama administration's NSA has admitted that the cell meta data was used to track former spouses and current lovers of employees. It goes to show how accessible and uncontrolled our meta data is and how it can be readily abused.

Finally, you may recall that when East Germany (German Democratic Republic) was in existence, it suppressed, arrested, and harassed its people  through an extensive data collecting agency often called Stasi. While they made a hasty attempt to destroy their files as the wall came down, much of the data was saved or restored from the shredders. People to this day are amazed at how much the Stasi had collected about them. The full name for Stasi? It was a contraction of Ministerium für Staatssicherheit which translated means Ministry of State Security. Hmmm...

- Glenn W9IQ

I never make a mistake. I thought I did once but I was wrong.
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #121 on: July 23, 2016, 05:03:02 PM »

Most US cell carriers have the ability to install software and modify settings on your phone without your permission or knowledge. The phone can also be remotely unlocked through this protocol. You can imagine the potential nefarious uses for this ability if you are able to emulate a cellular provider.

I would go one step further and say that it has been leaked that almost every new smart phone can be turned into a microphone and camera without the owners knowledge.  You may think your phone is powered off but they can in fact remotely ping your phone and turn it on without any screen indicators showing up and then have the Mic and Camera forward live info.

When I first heard about several years ago, I thought it was conspiracy theory on steroids, then Snowden came out and mentioned the same thing.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/06/06/technology/security/nsa-turn-on-phone/

Of course the chances of anybody having this used against them are nearly zero but the fact that a collusion between the manufactures of cell phones and the NSA is so rampant, it makes me wonder how many other devices have the same tech built into them?

« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 10:17:16 PM by KD8MJR » Logged

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #122 on: July 24, 2016, 09:53:34 AM »

Which came first, the chicken or the egg? You can't do surveillance without showing probable cause and you can't show probable cause without doing surveillance.
You can't search without showing probable cause and you can't show probable cause without doing surveillance. Searching email and phone records is not surveillance is is searching.
The program was only collecting toll data (what # called what #). There was no recording of conversations without a court order.
I have addressed this point in another post.

Rick KK4GGL
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #123 on: July 24, 2016, 09:54:07 AM »

Strange - you are more afraid of government employees than you are of terrorists. Have it your way.

At the moment, I am.

Rick KK4GGL
W9RND

Ignore
« Reply #124 on: July 24, 2016, 10:31:01 AM »

The program was only collecting toll data (what # called what #). There was no recording of conversations without a court order.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRISM_(surveillance_program)

another article that discusses some of how the NSA and GCHQ can use your cell's (or PC's i would guess) microphone and camera without your knowledge:
http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-34444233
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #125 on: July 24, 2016, 12:59:08 PM »

The cell phone meta-data database was to sidetrack the use of throw-away (short term rental) cell phones by terrorists inside the USA. By setting these cells to auto-forward phone calls, the ability to follow the trail to its final destination was interrupted. NSA could track to the throw-away but not to the final destination phone.

Since both NSA and CIA are not law-enforcement agencies without the ability to arrest me (and both of them suspect the FBI is incompetent) I'm not all that worried. The FBI couldn't even manage to coerce NSA to break into an Apple cell phone last winter.

I'm not sure of GCHQ or the Aussies version in regards to their links to law enforcement. But whenever you see a "NOFORN" designation they would not be getting the product anyway.

Edit: I am far more fearful of local police agencies than I am of NSA or CIA. Local police can get much more information on U.S. citizens than either of those Federal agencies. This link outlines the stuff they can do without showing probable cause (and local police, unlike both CIA and NSA, do have the power to arrest you and throw you in jail): https://www.propublica.org/special/no-warrant-no-problem-how-the-government-can-still-get-your-digital-data
« Last Edit: July 24, 2016, 01:32:44 PM by K7EXJ » Logged

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
KX4OM

Ignore
« Reply #126 on: July 25, 2016, 03:32:01 PM »

From CNN:

"The suspected Russian hack is part of a wave of Russian cyber attacks aimed at political organizations and academic think tanks in Washington, US officials briefed on the investigations say. "

I wonder if eHam is considered an academic think tank.

Ted, KX4OM
W9RND

Ignore
« Reply #127 on: July 26, 2016, 11:06:44 AM »

From CNN:

"The suspected Russian hack is part of a wave of Russian cyber attacks aimed at political organizations and academic think tanks in Washington, US officials briefed on the investigations say. "

Ted, KX4OM

i think it is fairly safe bet that the oligarchy is willing to peddle stories thru the media blaming foreign threats to redirect the focus away from what really puts US in danger  Wink
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #128 on: July 26, 2016, 11:34:00 AM »

From CNN:

Ted, KX4OM

i think it is fairly safe bet that the oligarchy is willing to peddle stories thru the media blaming foreign threats to redirect the focus away from what really puts US in danger  Wink

Lets not forget these kinds of Hacks have been happening on a regular basis for several years.  I don't know what your trying to say by "really puts US in Danger" but who benefited and who lost from this last one is hard to predict.  The Dems certainly took the most visible damage and I seriously doubt many GOP voters are going to put much credence on a Putin helping Trump scenario.  I find it hard to believe as a independent!  Mainly because most Governments wont take the chance that they end up backing the loser.  If Putin did do it for reasons they are claiming, then he must believe that any chance of a good relationship with the Dems in power is impossible, on the other hand what would make him believe that the GOP is really  going to be more willing to play ball?  Talk is cheap and a few pleasant exchanges is not going to blind anybody.  After Crimea I doubt anybody on either side of the aisle is going to be on his side.

As for Wikileaks, IMO they give whistle blowers a bad name.   I lost all respect for them after the embassy document releases.

73s
Rob

“A lie can travel half way around the world while the truth is putting on its shoes.”  (Mark Twain)
W9RND

Ignore
« Reply #129 on: July 26, 2016, 04:19:14 PM »

Quote from: KD8MJR
Lets not forget these kinds of Hacks have been happening on a regular basis for several years.  I don't know what your trying to say by "really puts US in Danger" but who benefited and who lost from this last one is hard to predict.  The Dems certainly took the most visible damage and I seriously doubt many GOP voters are going to put much credence on a Putin helping Trump scenario.  I find it hard to believe as a independent!  Mainly because most Governments wont take the chance that they end up backing the loser.  If Putin did do it for reasons they are claiming, then he must believe that any chance of a good relationship with the Dems in power is impossible, on the other hand what would make him believe that the GOP is really  going to be more willing to play ball?  Talk is cheap and a few pleasant exchanges is not going to blind anybody.  After Crimea I doubt anybody on either side of the aisle is going to be on his side.

As for Wikileaks, IMO they give whistle blowers a bad name.   I lost all respect for them after the embassy document releases.

73s
Rob

say what you want about the whistle-blowers and their sources, but dont forget it is what the whistle is being blown about that matters -- the whistle-blower is just a messenger.  If a crook tells you your house is on fire and was set on fire by arson -- do you demonize the informant because he is a crook or do you put out the fire and try to catch whoever started it?  Arson is arson regardless of who points it out to you.  we dont let an arsonist go just because the party who blew the whistle on him has a bad reputation.  even if Russia were the source (which i doubt -- more likely it was a DNC insider) it still did not write the DNC emails -- just as Snowden did not torch the 4th amendment...

interesting article on the Russia rumor here: https://theintercept.com/2016/07/26/russian-intelligence-hack-dnc-nsa-know-snowden-says/

and here is a quote from it:
“If Russia hacked the #DNC, they should be condemned for it,” Snowden wrote on Twitter on Monday, with a link to a 2015 report on the U.S. government’s response to the hacking of Sony Pictures. In that case, he noted, “the FBI presented evidence” for its conclusion that North Korea was responsible for the hacking and subsequent release of internal emails. (The FBI is now investigating the breach of the DNC’s network, which officials told the Daily Beast they first made the committee aware of in April.)

What’s more, Snowden added, the NSA has tools that should make it possible to trace the source of the hack. Even though the Director of National Intelligence usually opposes making such evidence public, he argued, this is a case in which the agency should do so, if only to discourage future attacks.

« Last Edit: Yesterday at 02:00:14 AM by W9RND » Logged
W9RND

Ignore
« Reply #130 on: Yesterday at 01:52:04 PM »

The Dems certainly took the most visible damage and I seriously doubt many GOP voters are going to put much credence on a Putin helping Trump scenario.  I find it hard to believe as a independent! 

another interesting article [source of the quote below]:  http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/289343-assange-wikileaks-to-release-a-lot-more-on-us-elections

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange says his organization plans to publish “a lot more material” concerning elections in the U.S.

“This is having so much political impact in the United States,” he told CNN on Tuesday, referencing last Friday’s leak of 20,000 internal emails from the Democratic National Committee (DNC).

Assange said Hillary Clinton’s presidential campaign is trying to disrupt focus on the messages by blaming Russia for their release.
“What we have right now is the Hillary Clinton campaign using a speculative allegation about hacks that have occurred in the past to try and divert attention from our emails, another separate issue that WikiLeaks has published,” he said.

“I think this raises a very serious question, which is that the natural instincts of Hillary Clinton and the people around her, that when confronted with a serious domestic political scandal, that she tries to blame the Russians, blame the Chinese, etc,” Assange added. "If she does that when she’s in government, that’s a political, managerial style that can lead to conflict.”

Assange said WikiLeaks would neither confirm nor deny that Russia was behind the theft of the controversial private communications.
“What we try and do as a source protection agency, we like to create maximum ambiguity as to who our sources are,” he said. "Perhaps one day the source or sources will step forward, and it might be an interesting moment. Some people will have egg on their faces.

“Obviously, to exclude certain actors is to make it easier to find out who our sources are. So we never do it.”
KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #131 on: Yesterday at 07:13:11 PM »

Julian Assange has zero credibility with me. He's been locked away in a room for four years and at this point his only hope of getting out is helping Trump as much as he can so that maybe Trump might let him scurry away from his internment.  Snowden is a guy who I would call a whistle blower. Assange is just a low life.

Rob

Pages: Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: