The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: is a new operating coming out?  (Read 340 times)
KC8Y

Ignore
« on: Today at 05:16:54 AM »

Will there be a new operating system  (beyond W10) coming out/when?Huh

I'm thinking about getting a new computer April/May, 2017. 

Ken KC8Y
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Today at 07:28:28 AM »

Will there be a new operating system  (beyond W10) coming out/when?Huh

I'm thinking about getting a new computer April/May, 2017.  

Ken KC8Y

There will not be a Win 11 for several years. MS is taking a different approach with 10. It is a modular OS in that they keep adding to it with large updates. Next one slated for first half 2017. RTM was ver 1507 in July 2015 and then 1511 in Nov 2015 and current version released August 2016 is 1607. This number will likely jump to 17xx in 2017. Only thing you gain between now and April/May 2017 is hardware improvements as it is changing quicker than OS getting faster yet and more energy efficient too.  

--------------------------------------
Ham since 1969....  Old School 20 WPM Extra
PBJOK

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Today at 07:35:56 AM »

The newest version of Linux mint (or even Ubuntu) is a good bet. Certainly better than Windows. The latest Windows problem is Microsoft now only release rolled-up updates - you can't separate them any longer so you can't tell what's in them. That, along with the inherent insecurity of Windows 10 (really nothing better than malware) suggests you're better off moving to Linux of some flavor or the MacOS*.

*Unless you want to be spied on...
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Today at 07:42:39 AM »

The newest version of Linux mint (or even Ubuntu) is a good bet

If you want to cut nose off to spite your face it is. Same with MAC OS. Apps on Windows out number Linux and MAC apps 15 or 20 to 1. Plus Linux cannot begin to exploit new chipset and CPU features like 10 was written to support.  LInux on old XP hardware might have some merit but on state of art hardware it is not a wise move.

PBJOK

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Today at 08:36:38 AM »

Well, the easy response is "you're batshit crazy" but that is low-hanging fruit.

You cite no source and, looking at some of your other "authoritative" postings you have no clue as to what is what.

By the way, the only people who use "apps" are tweens who may play with them. Most people download an app and use it once. Waste of time... http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/16-percent-of-mobile-userstry-out-a-buggy-app-more-than-twice/
KK4GGL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Today at 08:44:42 AM »

If you want to cut nose off to spite your face it is. Same with MAC OS. Apps on Windows out number Linux and MAC apps 15 or 20 to 1
And a lot of those Windows only applications are crap. In addition, if the application types you need/want run under GNU/Linux, MacOS or Android, it doesn't matter what runs under Windows.
. Plus Linux cannot begin to exploit new chipset and CPU features like 10 was written to support.  LInux on old XP hardware might have some merit but on state of art hardware it is not a wise move.
You have no idea what the Linux devs are doing. You never have, and you probably never will.

How's that rusty antenna with the single ground rod working out for you?

Rick KK4GGL
AB3TH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Today at 09:50:16 AM »

With any luck Microsoft will not inflict a new system on us for five or 10 years.  By that time I'll be switched to Linux for most things.  Still need Windows for work but I'm moving to Linux for my own stuff.

I have stockpiled a couple copies of Windows 7 so I don't have to use Win10.  Can be installed in a virtual machine under Linux.  The fact you can't pick and choose which updates to install is a fatal flaw with Win10.  I consider Win10 to be the world's largest virus.  I don't much care about ultimate speed.  I don't play games.  If you want to do things that need RS-232 ports, find some older machines with ports on the motherboard and hide them away somewhere.  Pocket change at a hamfest.  USB com ports can give you fits. 
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Today at 09:56:36 AM »

If you want to cut nose off to spite your face it is. Same with MAC OS. Apps on Windows out number Linux and MAC apps 15 or 20 to 1
And a lot of those Windows only applications are crap. In addition, if the application types you need/want run under GNU/Linux, MacOS or Android, it doesn't matter what runs under Windows.
. Plus Linux cannot begin to exploit new chipset and CPU features like 10 was written to support.  LInux on old XP hardware might have some merit but on state of art hardware it is not a wise move.
You have no idea what the Linux devs are doing. You never have, and you probably never will.

How's that rusty antenna with the single ground rod working out for you?

Oh the troll is still alive. Linux is going backwards anyway you cut it. Somehow you seem to equate Linux use with web servers and in some corporate setting using custom built apps making it viable for main stream desktop despite very limited support for it and lastest chipset standards and features.

You comment on vertical shows what a pitiful troll your are. You cannot make a good valid argument so you try to switch subject about something else you are also clueless about and have no first hand experience. Typical troll....

WW7KE

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 10:20:30 AM »

If you want to cut nose off to spite your face it is. Same with MAC OS.

MacOS isn't relevant to this discussion.  It only runs on Macs (and I'm not a fan of it, either).

Apps on Windows out number Linux and MAC apps 15 or 20 to 1.

So?  With the exception of those who like Microsoft Office/Outlook, how many people use something other than cross-platform apps (Firefox, LibreOffice, Thunderbird, Google Chrome, Wireshark, etc.)?

Plus Linux cannot begin to exploit new chipset and CPU features like 10 was written to support.  LInux on old XP hardware might have some merit but on state of art hardware it is not a wise move.

I have Win 10 Pro and Linux Mint 17.3 on the HP laptop I'm using to type this.  Mint supports all hardware other than the touchscreen, which I don't use anyway.  And Mint is faster than Windows, at least subjectively.
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: Today at 11:00:10 AM »

Mint supports all hardware other than the touchscreen, which I don't use anyway.  And Mint is faster than Windows, at least subjectively.

Touch screen is wave of future and I have a laptop that supports it too and would not give that up. As far as speed of execution, that depends a LOT of hardware it is run on. 

G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Today at 11:30:11 AM »

Mint supports all hardware other than the touchscreen, which I don't use anyway.  And Mint is faster than Windows, at least subjectively.

Touch screen is wave of future and I have a laptop that supports it too and would not give that up. As far as speed of execution, that depends a LOT of hardware it is run on. 

Did you not read John? Same machine, 2 operating systems so he has a direct comparison.

73 de Tony
Windows 10:  Making mild people profane since 2015
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: