donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Cookies  (Read 488 times)
N3DT

Ignore
« on: Yesterday at 06:44:13 AM »

I notice that even though I have the box checked to delete cookies when I close FF, they don't go away. I have to actually go into 'View Cookies' and delete them. But even then after I do that, I open CCleaner and it finds even more cookies. There must be different places FF keeps cookies than where CCleaner is looking? Can anyone explain this to me? Or exactly what is the best way to manage (delete) cookies?
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: Yesterday at 12:13:19 PM »

I'm a user of CCleaner FREE Edition which is currently ver 5.38.6357 issued 12 Dec 2017 using primarily Google Chrome, or sometimes Ms Edge running Win 10 Home Edition OS. No FF here.

What version on CCleaner ur using currently?  Version FF?

Looking back on the past CCleaner updates, the Oct 24 2017 ver 5.36.6278 said it resolved a number of issues for FireFox version 56.0 at that time.

Are you using more than one browser? When you clean a cookie manually with CCleaner. if you click on it befor deleting it, did you notice on the bottom of the screen the icon displayed is it from the browser which created it.  Was it a FF Icon or another browser?

At times, I have seen the issue your describing and it eventually gets fixed by the vendor. 

73 de WA2ONH   ... Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There is no shame in not knowing; The shame lies in not finding out"
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: Yesterday at 01:34:35 PM »

CC V5.38.6357 FF V57.0.2 which are the latest. Using W7 still, I know I'm a Luddite. This cookie issue has always been happening to me. FF is the only browser I use although it's impossible to get rid of Win explorer. But yes all the cookies are set by FF according to CC. I use FF because as near as I can tell it's the only one that I can block certain things I don't want. But I know there are cookies and then there are cookies. Facebook and google have their hand in everything any more. They are not my friend. I use duckduckgo to search. I like to keep cookie setting off, but it affects certain sites. If anyone things the gov't is over reaching read about google and FB. And they have no problem not being transparent and will blatantly tell you so.
WA2ONH

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 02:37:34 PM »

Looking back at the Oct 24th version Release Notes I see that CCleaner still supports your Windows 7.

Also, stated as the default cleaning rules for FF "Current Session Data no longer cleared by default."
Since I don't have FireFox on my PC, I can't see/understand what Piriform's program isn't doing for you.

Given that Big Brother (aka today's Communication technology) sees everything today, especially those of us that use computers, Smartphones, Social Media, and the Internet, I think your asking too much of Piriform to be your gatekeeper.

Have you addressed your issue with Piriform's Community Forum re: CCleaner Bug Reporting at...
https://forum.piriform.com/forum/8-ccleaner-bug-reporting/

73 de WA2ONH   ... Charlie
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"There is no shame in not knowing; The shame lies in not finding out"
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 06:23:01 PM »

I don't think it's CC that's not doing the job, I think it's FF that's not cleaning up all the cookies when I ask it to. But yes, it seems we've given over our information to data miners that use our data for their benefit. I'm not sure that's good for our society but then I haven't got far to go. The young bucks will have to take care if it if they care. Thanks for the ideas.
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: Today at 05:48:04 AM »

I use the FF add-on called 'CookieKeeper' to manage cookies. You can select different behaviors and retain or dump certain cookies when the browser is closed.
https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/cookiekeeper/
N3DT

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: Today at 06:43:13 AM »

Thanks, I'll look at that one. Right now I've got cookies turned off but have an exemption allow list but for some reason I can't log on to the QRZ forum, but the main page is good. I'm sure if I allowed cookies it would work. Nothing is simple.

OOPs, that's not compatible with my ver of FF apparently.
« Last Edit: Today at 06:45:29 AM by N3DT » Logged
KAPT4560

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: Today at 09:21:45 AM »

Sorry. I found a discussion here:
http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=3033199&p=14765250
 Perhaps a compatible add-on for cookie control is in the FF future?
I don't know why your FF cookie whitelist isn't working.
G4LNA

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: Today at 11:37:06 AM »

If you are that worried, why not use the Private Window in Firefox, everything is wiped off the computer when you close Firefox, history, cookies, the lot.

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: