Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: China is making own OS  (Read 701 times)
W8JX

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2014, 12:43:42 PM »

It seems that China is launching it's own OS this October and the goal is to replace Windoze and Mac OS in China in two years time. They are also starting to make some very high quality phones too.

--------------------------------------
All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
W4KYR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 01:08:44 PM »

It seems that China is launching it's own OS this October and the goal is to replace Windoze and Mac OS in China in two years time. They are also starting to make some very high quality phones too.

Maybe it is supposed to replace "Red Flag Linux" .

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Flag_Linux

also

http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=redflag

Still using Windows XP Pro.
G8YMW

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 01:12:43 PM »

I'll be watching with interest.
I'm guessing that this will be the follow up to the Chinese Government's decision not to use Win8
N1DVJ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 05:49:21 PM »

Ahhh...  with a virus factory pre-installed!
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2014, 04:10:50 AM »

Maybe it is supposed to replace "Red Flag Linux"

- then it was going to be Ubuntu Kylin

Ubuntu Kylin is a free PC operating system created for China.
http://www.ubuntu.com/desktop/ubuntu-kylin
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntukylin

- now it looks like it will be written internally, within China.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2014, 04:13:18 AM by VK6IS » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 05:08:25 AM »

I do not look for it to be a Linux clone but rather something new.

All posted wireless using Win 8.1 RT, a Android tablet using 4G/LTE/WiFi or Sprint Note 3.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 05:47:08 AM »

Not necessarily, but you can bet that the Chinese government will be able to get into it whenever they want to to spy on their own citizens.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 06:35:02 AM »

Not necessarily, but you can bet that the Chinese government will be able to get into it whenever they want to to spy on their own citizens.

That could never happen here!
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2014, 07:12:15 AM »

One of my daughters has been to china and several areas and other than a obvious presence of military police in many areas found it more open than she expected and felt safe there. This is not to say they do not have problems but rather they are changing, slow that it may be.

KD8MJR

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2014, 04:53:40 PM »

I would imagine that in light of Wiki Leaks and Snowden that most countries would preffer to make their own OS.
Can you really blame them?  As an American would you want to use a Chinese OS that was reporting your every key stroke back to Beijing?
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 04:08:42 AM »

Sure it could happen here--but at least here if you slip and post something/take a position that the government doesn't like, you're not likely to get a visit from them and a gift in the back of the head--which your family would then get a bill for!
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 07:54:26 AM »

Sure it could happen here--but at least here if you slip and post something/take a position that the government doesn't like, you're not likely to get a visit from them and a gift in the back of the head--which your family would then get a bill for!

Yeah, I was joking. If Snowden is to be believed it's been happening here for some time.
KB3VWG

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 08:12:01 AM »

Red Corner is one of my favorite movies too.

Also, if the OS is Linux-based, there would have to be a lot of proprietary, pre-compiled, closed source code to hide a phone-home mechanism.

Also, OSes don't have to be compromised, so long as you have ability to sniff "the Internets..."
OTTAVIO

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: Today at 03:33:09 AM »

I don't think they would want to use Linux as the kernel is bugged by the NSA (former Linux user speaking here), at least not the plain vanilla Linux kernel.

I guess they have either forked the kernel many years ago or built their own microkernel on top of Freebsd or similar.
VK6IS

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: Today at 10:12:26 PM »

I don't think they would want to use Linux - as the kernel is bugged by the NSA

most people left those M$ O/Ss for a Linux O/S because of the NSA  Roll Eyes
http://distrowatch.com/table.php?distribution=ubuntukylin
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: