The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: A Strange Networking Problem  (Read 925 times)
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: May 24, 2016, 05:38:33 PM »

The OP also mentioned that if he reboots the router the laptop can start working again. So I wonder if he can get an address on that laptop from another location after the router reboots or does he have to take it back to the location where it does work?

Does he have admin access to the router?

Who configured the router?

What brand and model is the router?

Mikrotik routers - even the $50 versions - are capable of being highly configurable but not in the "normal" way. They sort of march to a different drummer and make Cisco look downright uncomplicated. Tongue

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
KD8TUT

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 03:37:10 AM »

Redacted.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2016, 03:39:43 AM by KD8TUT » Logged
W8JX

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 03:53:14 AM »

I think it is flakey hardware. I have seen this before and overcome it by disabling DHCP on adapter and using a fixed/manually entered IP, Gateway and DNS, on laptop

--------------------------------------
You can embrace new computing technology and change with it or cling to past and fall further behind everyday....
DL8OV

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 04:30:42 AM »

For now a 2 Euro switch (yes, they are that cheap now) has cured the problem, the TV box and the switch connect to the router and the new switch is connected to the apartment network points. I can now move at will between the three without issue but I still have no idea why the problem has suddenly occurred. Some more points:

The router is manufactured by Technicolor and the model number is EPC4911. It does NOT however run the Technicolor firmware as it has been reflashed by the cable company (unitymedia) and all of the pages have their logo at the top.

I have administrator access to the router. There is no mention of Spanning Tree Protocol in the settings.

The laptop is dual boot Windows 7 Professional and Linux Mint but the problem occurs with both operating systems so this is not the issue. Disabling DHCP and manually entering the network settings under either OS does not clear the problem.

This is more fun than German TV but I would rather be on 80m CW than fixing computer problems.

Peter DL8OV
NK7Z

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 05:52:57 AM »

The OP also mentioned that if he reboots the router the laptop can start working again. So I wonder if he can get an address on that laptop from another location after the router reboots or does he have to take it back to the location where it does work?
Rebooting the router flushes the ARP tables.

Thanks,
Dave
For reviews and setups see: http://www.nk7z.net
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 06:05:17 AM »

The ports on the router are not a dumb switch as it would be on most routers. Once it determines the MAC addresses of the devices connected to a port, it only attempts to communicate with a device on its assigned port. A dumb switch doesn't care - it will send an ARP request out all ports to find the device any time it doesn't respond. Anyway, it makes sense to add a dumb switch so that all movable devices are connected to a single port via the switch.
K7EXJ

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 09:38:23 AM »

As much as it plains me to say this, I agree with JX. I can't imagine an el cheapo cable modem having any managed ports or any real LAN security features. I think it's just broke.

The OP solved the problem with a 2-Euro switching hub so all's well. Smiley

73s de K7EXJ
Craig Smiley
K8KVN

Ignore
« Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 08:54:42 PM »

Go completely wireless.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: