The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Any AREDN networks, groups or clubs in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Areas?  (Read 117 times)
W4KYR

Ignore
« on: Today at 12:57:29 PM »

Are there any AREDN networks, groups or clubs in the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky Areas?

Are there any hams, clubs or organizations who are active with AREDN in the Cincinnati or Northern Kentucky areas? Are there any nodes/networks nearby? Anyone involved with AREDN?

For those unfamiliar with AREDN. It stands for the "Amateur Radio Emergency Data Network".  http://www.aredn.org/

From what I read so far, and from watching YouTube videos on the subject. AREDN is different than the HSMM-MESH BBHN networks. Although the concept seems the same. HSMM-MESH is older (2001 ?) and they use primarily Linksys routers flashed with special firmware for use on the Part 97 amateur radio channels.

The HSMM-MESH Linksys routers have to be externally mounted in an optional box to an optional antenna (dish or omni) outside to get any appreciable distance. The flashed Linksys routers HSMM-MESH are limited to 79 milliwatts.

AREDN seems newer (2014) and uses Ubiquity (UBNT) routers that are flashed with special firmware for use on the Part 97 amateur radio channels. Their outdoor equipment routers are really self contained routers already connected and built into an weatherproof antenna (dish or omni) outside. They are usually connected with a CAT 5 cable up a pole. The CAT 5 also supplies the power via POE (as I understand it). Ubiquiti can power up to 600 milliwatts or more.

Several questions....

What equipment are YOU using?

What do you think will happen with AREDN or HSMM-Mesh equipment and networks with the FCC proposals on locking down routers in the future?

Should I get some outdoor Ubiquity routers now before the FCC clamps down?

Was it worth the cost of setting up an ARDEN network in your area?

Are they any ARDEN networks are there within the Cincinnati/Northern KY area?

Where are they and how many?

Do you think AREDN is better from an Ecomm standpoint, or equal to HSMM-MESH?

What outdoor equipment would YOU recommend for starting out with AREDN? What is the least expensive outdoor setup?

I asked about HSMM-MESH activity in the Cincinnati/Northern KY area in another post, I got 192 views and no answers. Hopefully I will have better luck with AREDN questions.

Thanks in advance
« Last Edit: Today at 01:03:34 PM by W4KYR » Logged

Still using Windows 98  ------------------ for Packet Radio.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: