The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: "Double Discone" Antenna?  (Read 4778 times)
KC2MMI

Ignore
« on: February 18, 2004, 01:22:47 AM »

I came across two UK references to "double discone" antennas tonight on the web,
http://www.thunderpole.co.uk/double_discone.htm
and
www.radiobooks.com/products/ant426.htm

Neither gives a lot of information but both claim greater gain (higher efficiency) while keeping the wide band use of a discone.

Anyone familiar with these?
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2004, 12:54:20 PM »

That's voodoo magic.  That "double discone" isn't any sort of discone at all...shame on them.  A discone has a disk, and a cone, and has no matching device of any kind so its power rating is virtually unlimited (1500W is a piece of cake).

What the data sheet shows isn't any sort of discone, but rather a skeleton profile vertical dipole, and has a "40 Watt" power limit (rating) due, I'm sure, to a matching device at its feedpoint (a discone doesn't need any) -- probably inductive loading to provide coverage down to "25 MHz," which is ridiculous for a discone unless the discone is as tall as a building and nearly as wide.  A real discone actually covers about one decade bandwidth.

I wouldn't waste money on something like this.

WB2WIK/6
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: