Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Flat Earth  (Read 635 times)
G8AIMM

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2004, 05:21:01 PM »

So after all my years on the vhf, uhf and microwave end of the radio spectrum and after much expermentation I now conclude that the ionosphere does not exist and signals do not reflect around the world and the earth is flat.
Let me give you some examples.
1) It is easier to work distant stations using hf than vhf because its a large radio wave so it will not get blocked by lamposts and chimneys etc.
2)If the ionosphere exists then why are the radio waves not bouncing around forever? Where did it go, why cant I still hear Marconi's tones?
3)NVIS, Another lie. As radio waves are supposed to be similar to light waves then if I point my laser pen to the sky why does it not come back and burn my eyeballs out.
4)If there is an ionosphere then why is it selective about letting things above 30mhz through and not below 30mhz. Is this a European beaucratic law or is science just discriminating against the bigger wave.
Your comments are welcome.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 09:40:39 PM »

<< 1) It is easier to work distant stations using hf than vhf because its a large radio wave so it will not get blocked by lamposts and chimneys etc.  >>

Additionally, HF waves, being larger and heavier than VHF  hug the surface of the earth better and:

(1) don't get lost
(2) when they get to the edge, roll over to the bottom of the earth and then come back on the other side. That is what's know as "long path"

Lon
KC8AXJ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 08:24:53 AM »

If your Mother-in-law talks in the forest and there is nobody around,is there a sound?

AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2004, 02:00:12 PM »

>2)If the ionosphere exists then why are the radio waves not bouncing around forever? Where >did it go, why cant I still hear Marconi's tones?

You can still hear them, it is just that the signal gets weaker and weaker each time the bounce. Eventually they just become part of the background noise level. 100 years before Marconi (100 BM) there was no background noise.

>4)If there is an ionosphere then why is it selective about letting things above 30mhz through and >not below 30mhz. Is this a European beaucratic law or is science just discriminating against the >bigger wave.

Just a law designed to keep the longer wavelengths from straying too far.  Sort of like we tend to keep under 21 year old's out of pubs on this side of the pond. You might want to consider that yourself before posting here  ---- ..   ---- ..

G8AIMM

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2004, 06:24:13 PM »

I like the theory by N3ZKP about the waves rolling over the edge, I might add that to my paper that I plan to submit to Oxford if you dont mind. I will be able to drink next year. We have to be 65 years old and bring both parents to the pub to prove our age over here.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2004, 08:37:11 PM »

Additionally, the reason the HF waves don't just fall off the edge of the Earth into oblivion is because the bottom of the Earth is sticky and the sticky stuff "grabs" the wave as it goes over the edge and the wave's momentum (sp?) carries it to the bottom side.

At the other end, the radio wave, although heavy, is still lighter than the Earth and floats up from the bottom, there to repeate the cycle, ad nausaum.

Lon
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2004, 04:46:48 PM »

C'mon, we all know the Earth isn't flat.  It's pear shaped.  That's why just about everything goes pear shaped eventually.  That's the way nature intended it.  It's also true that the fatter part is in the south.  That's why things "go south".

The reason you can't hear Marconi is that the very old, heavy HF waves have gone pear shaped, gone south, and gotten stuck in Antarctica.  There are places in Antarctica you can hear them just fine, especially in winter.  I'm told certain forms of alcohol both help you keep warm in Antarctica in the winter and help you hear Marconi.

Caity
K7VO
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2004, 04:49:33 PM »

C'mon, we all know the Earth isn't flat.  It's pear shaped.  That's why just about everything goes pear shaped eventually.  That's the way nature intended it.  It's also true that the fatter part is in the south.  That's why things "go south".

The reason you can't hear Marconi is that the very old, heavy HF waves have gone pear shaped, gone south, and gotten stuck in Antarctica.  There are places in Antarctica you can hear them just fine, especially in winter.  I'm told certain forms of alcohol both help you keep warm in Antarctica in the winter and help you hear Marconi.

Caity
K7VO
K3CXG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2004, 12:29:43 PM »

Caity:  Your pear-shaped theorem is absolutely correct - I just looked in a full-length mirror!  QED!

Mike K3CXG

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: