Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Software to copy morse  (Read 2238 times)
KG6IBW

Ignore
« on: March 12, 2002, 01:20:48 PM »

Does Lowe Modemaster do this?   What about other products?  I whanged off something in about an hour that should do great with strong signals, I am curious to see what it does with weak ones, probably poor.

Please let me know what is out there so I have some idea about what to do next.   Thanks.  
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2002, 03:35:39 PM »

There are lots of PC programs to decode and encode morse. None will ever work as well as the human ear-brain-hand(fuzzy mode). Here is a place to find them:
http://www.muenster.de/~welp/sb.htm#cw
W4BQF

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2002, 09:48:40 AM »

NB6Z is correct. Programs like CWGET do a fair job. Most copy software does a pretty decent job with strong signals, up to about 60wpm. It's not that the software will not copy weak signals, it's that the receiver/decoder cant differentiate between a CW signal and normal atmospheric band noise, while the ear/brain generally ignores the noise. Copy programs are very good at helping one improve their 'ear' copy, but once you get to where you can 'ear' copy 35-50 wpm, you will find copy devices are too much of a PITA to mess with any longer!
Tom/W4BQF
KG6IBW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2002, 11:37:38 AM »

W4BQF, are you suggesting that such software might be a great code training tool?   I would love to learn to copy fast, but I got stuck at around 9wpm so I thought being a programmer I might try some sw.  If it would help me learn to copy fast, that would be terrific!
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: