Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Looking for logging s/w that does BW with older ri  (Read 1108 times)
WD4ELG

Ignore
« on: March 09, 2002, 11:25:38 AM »

Greetings;

I've got a Kenwood TS-520S with a Pentium II PC with Windows 98 & high-speed internet.

I've looked at the product reviews for logging s/w, and I am overwhelmed at the number of logging programs.

What I need is something that will log my contacts (mostly DX), track DXCC and WAS, help me with some occasional contesting (nothing heavy, just standard stuff, no 5K contacts or anything like that), and will allow me to use my RS-232 port to send CW through the CW jack.  I would also like to use the MIC jack to send RTTY (4-pin MIC jack)..

Here's the rub.  Most of the latest logging programs are not designed (as far as I see) for running rigs that are older, like mine.  I don't have the fancy interfaces you see on the latest gear.

So can anyone at least help me narrow my search by sending a quick post of what you are using if you're in a situation similar to mine, or you know of something that meets this scenario.  

Thanks, I'm just overwhelmed and not sure how to get this accomplished.

Mark
WD4ELG
NB6Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2002, 03:41:22 PM »

Mark,
There is a Windows program that will do all you need and alot more. But it is not freeware. It is a Shareware program called MixW V2.0 and I have used it for 2 years now... http://tav.kiev.ua/~nick/mixw2/
N0RKX

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2002, 11:32:04 PM »

Mark,

I've run all of the HF digital modes with my personal confuser/soundcard and TS-520.

You're going to need an interface between the audio out and mic connector on the rig and the computer. I use the RigBlaster from West Mountain Radio. They advertise on this site.

With the 520/S your going to have to ride the AF gain control to keep from over driving the soundcard as there is no steady state audio output on the rig. I take the audio from the big accessory jack on the back.

Any of the "digi-mode" software will do a good job once you get the computer and rig working together. Personally I favor the stand alone programs like Digipan for PSK and MMTTY for RTTY. Some like all of the modes in one program like MixW. MixW is a fine piece of software that'll do everything but stand on one leg and sing the national anthem.

Good luck!

Kevin, NØRKX
W8CQD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2002, 08:00:44 PM »

FWIW, I use the phone patch in/out connectors on the back of my TS-520S for the digital modes and there's also a mod out there that lets you get the 520's output lower by applying a negative voltage to the ALC pin.

The only thing you need with my setup is a way to key the rig...  I just used the Send/Receive switch on the front...
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: