The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Question about 2 meter ssb?  (Read 3090 times)
KB9UMB

Ignore
« on: August 29, 2004, 03:54:42 PM »

I have a stupid question about 2 meter ssb. While tuning up and down the band around .200. I hear steady little beeps everywhere. What are those beeps? At first I thought they might be beacons but then I never hear an ID. The I thought it might be something local to the area in wich I live, but I have heared it other places as well. I have been operating 2 ssb off and on over the years and have always wondered.
                          Thanks beep!
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2004, 01:14:50 PM »

You hear them at multiple locations?

There's nothing happening on 2m around 144.200 that produces constant beeps, anywhere I've ever lived or operated.  The beacon subband is much higher in the band, and of course all amateur radio beacons I.D., usually continuously (on CW), so there'd be no guessing as to where they're coming from.

I'm guessing it's either something in your receiver (in which case, you might still hear it with the antenna disconnected), or something in your neighborhood like nearby VHF scanning receivers producing actual spurious radiated signals in the 2m ham band.  A lot of times, those will indeed sound like "beeping," and they can often be peaked using a rotary beam to find out approximately where they're coming from.

CATV leakage on the 2m ham band is a common problem, but it usually doesn't sound like "beeping" (although I suppose it could sound like anything, since it's not supposed to be leaking, anyway).

WB2WIK/6
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2004, 01:22:17 PM »

My first guess would be internally generated birdies in your receiver.  Second guess would be something in your neighborhood.  What kind of a rig are you running?  I would try Steve, WB2WIK's suggestion and see if you still hear them with the antenna disconnected.  If so it's in your receiver which may need alignment or simply be of poor design.

Caity
K7VO
(beep free zone)
JDEVARIE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2004, 11:06:58 PM »

KB9UMB, I hear the same when I am wandering around on 2m using ssb but in my area (Boston) I hear them below .200 and in some cases over. I do not know what they are and always wondered what they were. I do not think that there is anything wrong with your radio since I have been able to hear it with like four different rigs and also the beeps can be heard across a few KC in the band just as a normal ssb QSO would sound.
I will keep researching those, drop a post if you find out.

regards,
Jim
KB1KZI
K1WHS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2004, 05:32:14 PM »

The bleeps you hear on 144 MHz are definitely scanners. Actually they are local oscillators bleeding out of the antenna connection on the scanner. I have heard some scanners at up to 15 miles away. Usually you can add 10.7 MHz to the scanner blip frequency and that will be the frequency that the scanner is listening to. Some scanners use 10.8 MHz I believe. I have locked up some scanners from my QTH by radiating about 1 milliwatt from a signal generator set 10.7 MHz higher. This is definite proof of the interference origin! One other note...Some of those blips are probably some sub multiple of the final LO frequency for UHF (450 MHz) scanner frequencies. Simply adding 10.7 or 10.8 MHz to your 144 MHz freq will not lock them up. I live in a rural area, and almost everybody has one of those infernal scanners on top of their fridge. It is a huge problem on the 144 band. Everybody listens to the local and State police, fire, and Fish & Game (to hear where they are stocking trout etc. etc.)

KG6FBR

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2005, 11:20:35 AM »

I, too, have heard this 'bleeps.'  To me they sound like a digital emission of some sort.  When I tune into one, I switch to FM and don't get anything discernible.  I'm going to try the add 10.7 MHz test to verify this scanner emission theory.  It sounds awful odd to be an emission from a reciver's antenna??
I'm also curious about this because I have just started operating 2M SSB and have not found any activity here in San Diego (other than these strange noises between 144.100 and 144.275).
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: