The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: IC-706MKIIG and A50-5S Station . .  (Read 1342 times)

« on: March 06, 2005, 06:15:10 AM »

I have an Icom 706MKIIG, plus some low loss coax, a rotator and push up mast with a great mounting location on the house - all sitting around doing nothing. I just earned 8BDXCC (80 - 10M) so I am looking at 6M as my next band to try to earn DXCC on.

I'm thinking about putting up a Cushcraft A50-5S, and could put it up about 50 feet.

What do you think - is this a decent 6M DX-ing station for attempting DXCC on 6M? I also use an Orion for HF - so I did think about maybe a Ten Tec Transverter - but it seems a bit lower power as compared to the IC-706MKIIG, although the tranverter on the Orion would probably be a better receiver (??).
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2005, 08:35:44 AM »

An A50-5S at 50 feet will be a good 6M station. One of the issues about 6M DXing is monitor, monitor, monitor. Openings often occur and then go away quickly. Having a separate 6M station would allow you to monitor 6M while working other HF bands.
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2005, 06:20:10 PM »

I agree that it will be a good station.  I disagree with monitor, monitor, monitor.  That's a great way to miss openings.  Tune around.  Most QSOs aren't on the calling frequencies.  Call CQ now and again.  You may get a very pleasant surprise when someone far away answers on a band you thought was dead.  (Maybe it was but things change quickly.)

Caity
K7VO/8

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2005, 08:47:14 PM »

Thanks - I just looked at the A50-5S in EZNec+, and the pattern will be very nice as far as the height that I will be mounting it.

Back in 2001 I goofed around on 6M - just a few times - and worked KH6 and Mellish Reef and someone in Massachusetts, and I remember how neat it was to work them - for a short while they were all very strong and there was no static, noise or other QRM / QRN.

I also know that 6M and 160M will take quite a bit longer to achieve DXCC on - but they are new and interesting challenges and I am really looking forward to it.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2005, 07:05:02 AM »

Lots of ways to monitor other than listening to 50.125. You can tune manually or scan or check beacons. The point is that if you use a transverter on your only HF rig then you won't be able to do anything on 6M while you are on some other band. I find that to be a disadvantage - which is why I suggested considering a separate 6M rig.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2005, 09:36:02 AM »

If you're in NCDXC or part of any DX packet cluster, "spots" come up on six meters just like they do for any of the HF bands, so keep that turned on any time you're around the house and let it alert you.

If you didn't buy the A505S beam yet, consider instead the M2 model 6M5X.  It's simply better in every single respect.  The boom is 6' longer and it has more gain and a more defined pattern at any height above ground; it also has a lower-loss feed system (something you cannot model), and actually weighs less than the A505S, so it will place less load on your telescoping mast.  It's also manufactured 3000 miles closer to where you live, by somebody who has accomplished more on the six meter band than any typical set of 100 hams have read about.

WB2WIK/6

Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: