The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Data logging of analog and pulse signals  (Read 2028 times)
W8JI

Ignore
« on: April 04, 2015, 07:50:51 PM »

OK, this isn't Ham radio. I want to data log sensors from my car. The sensors are not all that accurate, maybe 1% or so. They are all pretty much 0-5 volts and relatively slow changing. The fastest analog would be the airflow, which could could ramp up or down in several hundredths of a second. There are probably ten analog inputs of zero to five volts that change at fairly slow rates, at least .05 seconds to go 0-5V.

There are eight digital things I have to log. These can all be TTL levels.

The fastest thing is ignition. I'd have to have ~10.5 uS resolution of a trigger point. The trigger repeats less than 540 times a second. I need to do this on two ports, so I can compare a % of time difference.

The second fastest is distance, which is 45 pulses per second maximum. Timing doesn't matter, this is just a count in a time window to give me distance.  I have to know pulses in a small time window to give me speed.

Everything else is slow.

Anyone know of any data loggers that will not break the bank?
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 05:53:04 AM »

Have you looked at the AEM AQ-1 ? Its pretty robust for the price point.

http://www.aemelectronics.com/?q=products/data-loggers/aq-1-data-logger
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 05:55:20 AM by WG8Z » Logged
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 06:46:20 PM »

Thanks, I didn't even look at units for cars because they are generally big dollars. They get up into $4K or more to do multiple channels.

I already have one of these on the way:

http://www.mccdaq.com/usb-data-acquisition/USB-5106.aspx

It only logs four channels, but can export the data and I can process it in an excel sheet.

It looks like the AEM is actually a better choice. Unless something else turns up, I think I'll also get one of the AEM units. I can use both units for something.
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 09:32:06 PM »

Oh ya they can get pricey. But in todays racing world you real need it to get competitive. We had been running the AIM dash w Smarty cam for a decade or so.
16 A/D inputs plus PCM info off Can bus with expansion capabilities. I think we were logging about 40 params.
 This year we're changing to a complete MOTEC system.  Engine management,Dash, Logging, and Power controls. It  will log 100's of  channels and enough memory for a whole season. Pretty serious stuff. Paddle shift control, turbo anti-lag, traction control and ABS all in one package. Even can be expanded with a SIM card module to do telemetry and live streaming video over the web.
 Setting it up makes my head hurt.
W8JI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2015, 03:38:04 PM »

Well, I only have a fast street car. So I am not that serious. It's a 363 dart block with Vortech. I'm just messing around in a local 275 radial thing, and some occasional outlaw track bets, so I have to keep making it look slower than it is. I'm trying to decide on a renegade blower or turbo, after I get the chassis and cage updated. I just installed a super glide 2, and it is way better than running a stick shift.

I have to get enough data to keep the engine safe.
WG8Z

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2015, 05:15:50 PM »

Sounds like fun !
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: