Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Nothing to hear on 6M?  (Read 1123 times)
K7VO

Ignore
« Reply #15 on: June 26, 2006, 11:25:57 AM »

FM requires VERTICAL polarization, not horizontal like SSB/CW/digital.  I'd go with a simple vertical antenna.  The chimney would do much better than your attic.

As far as opening being for all modes, I strongly disagree.  There are many, many weak openings when SSB/CW will work and FM just won't.  FM, with it's relatively large bandwidth and capture effect, needs strong openings.  Also, there are many times when I hear lots of SSB/CW stations and FM *should* work but it is silent.  Again, 95%+ of CW activity is SSB.

I still prefer FM and channelized operation in the car.  When I ran HF/6m SSB I felt that I was likely to cause an accident.  For me the FT-8900R is perfect for mobile but not much else.

Caity
K7VO
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #16 on: June 26, 2006, 12:50:53 PM »

I agree with Caity.

Many "openings" on six meters are marginal and just won't support FM contacts, which require stronger signals.  I often find myself working "double hop" E-skip on six via CW because signals are so weak that even SSB doesn't work well.

Then, a really BIG "opening" can create signals so strong that FM works fine.  

A bigger, higher antenna will provide many more contacts than a smaller, lower one.

WB2WIK/6
AJ9C

Ignore
« Reply #17 on: June 26, 2006, 05:22:07 PM »

Yep you should look to see what repeaters are on what freq.  If the band isn't open and you dont have a repeater in the area you probably won't hear much of anything.  Keep the rig on the 6m calling freq. in those situations.

mike
AA4TX

Ignore
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2006, 08:17:53 PM »

I have made quite a few contacts from EL96 (SW Florida) this summer on 52.525 - Many in Texas and Arizona, as well as New York, Delaware, Maryland and the Carolinas. My setup is simply a mobile FT-8900 and a Larson NMO-50. But the openings have lasted only for a half hour or so, with the exception of Memorial Day, which lasted most of the day. 6 meters takes some patience, but it can be a lot of fun! Don’t give up, and listen for those brief but exciting openings!
KB1GMX

Ignore
« Reply #19 on: July 02, 2006, 02:18:34 PM »

If all you hear is noise then where is your antenna and what is the antenna?  

I use a Tentec 6n2 for SSB and on occasion 6m FM and with a 6m EDZ wire I had more than a few good QSOs on FM (you gotta hunt for them) from MA to the midwest on a mere 20W. Off the 4element beam they went from noisy to good quieting.

However for local work 6m FM should do good range as I've worked a 50mi radius just testing one day.

FYI: if you are trying 6m FM mobile, well unless your antenna is at lest 1/4 wave and mounted high don't expect much unless the band is really killer open or your talking a repeater.

Allison
WX3K

Ignore
« Reply #20 on: July 21, 2006, 10:17:43 AM »

There is plenty of activity on 10 meter FM and 6 meter FM. Dont forget that these bands "open" up for Sporadic E and sometimes F layer QSOs. 144 & 440 are not capable of opening up for DX QSO's. Having a quad band rig when the band is open is alot of fun. Ill buy your quad bander if you get bored of it.
N1RIK

Ignore
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2006, 05:16:06 PM »

I've recently on 6m gotten into the 53.230 repeater on Mt. Greylock, MA and the KQ2H repeater in New York, NY on 53.730 from my home here in North Carolina.  Also I regularly have been hearing and getting into 29.620 KQ2H Repeater in New York, which comes in around 60 + S9 when the band is hopping on my 33 ft. longwire with my AH-4 Icom Tuner.  Also the W1OJ 29.620 comes in nicely too from Mass.
Pages: Prev 1 [2]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: