Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Geoclock Ham Database  (Read 1333 times)
K9IUQ

Ignore
« on: August 25, 2002, 11:04:58 AM »

Way back in 1990 I registered Geoclock and bought the Ham package for it. Yes, it is getting pretty old. I recently updated to Version 8.4 geoclock but it didnt update my ham database which doesnt have a lot of the new prefixes. Anyone know how I can get a more recent hamdb.exe file short of buying it again?

I use the equi-distant map a lot for beam headings and a more recent database file would be very helpful.

Thanx
Stan K9IUQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2002, 02:41:12 AM »

If you have a PC running Windows, you'll find that DXView -- which is completely free -- does quite a bit more than Geoclock. Its prefix database is current, and easily updated when things change. DXView is available via www.qsl.net/dxlab .

Dave, AA6YQ
K9IUQ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2002, 07:21:50 AM »

Yes, I downloaded DxView as you suggested and it does look like a nice program, especially the way DXCC database is handled. Like clicking and getting the country maps too - they seem very well done.

Since you are apparently the author? of DXView, I have a couple of suggestions. Use an equi-distant map for the main view and allow it be maximizied to full screen. I have a 19 inch monitor and always dislike those programs that cant maximize to full screen.Remember most of us Hams are older people with old eyesight - bigger is better.

Also I like the way Geoclock handles the world in darkness with the shading, much easier to figure out.

DxView looks like a more modern program than Geoclock with the Ham Package. With the few improvements I suggested it would be a great program.

Stan - K9IUQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2002, 03:53:47 AM »

The option to use an azimuthal equidistant projection is "on the list", as is day/night shading and grey-zone depiction.

Dave, AA6YQ
AA6YQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2002, 04:48:20 AM »

I have updated DXView's world map so that night-time areas are appropriately shaded.

Dave, AA6YQ
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: