The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 2mtrs versus 70cm ??  (Read 2790 times)
GM1ZVJ

Ignore
« on: March 06, 2007, 01:32:52 PM »

Hi anyone offer me any advice on the following ??

looking to set up a link from my car to my house  using either 145 mhz ( 2 mtrs ) or 434 mhz ( 70cm ) will be using a colliner antenna mounted about 30 feet up on both vhf / uhf same power output ( 10 watts fm ) on both freqs and dual band antenna on the rear off the car.

base location is not ideal for vhf / uhf work but antenna will be up in the clear above roof space.

will be doing most off my operating in built up areas within a ten mile radius off my home location. just wonder what freq vhf or uhf is likely to prove to be the best for this type off operation and if a ten mile range is likely to be easily managable given the above equipment ??

regards,
           john
KT4NR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 05:33:10 PM »

Not sure about the regs in the UK but all linking between stations needs to be on UHF in the US if I recall properly.

That being said I would think in a heavily urbanized area such as London UHF might be best. When I was last there 2m was pretty trashed and UHF seemed to be the preferred band. While all V/UHF signals bounce off solid objects penetration on UHF through cities it generally better.

As always, experimentation is key. Sit at the house and have someone drive around and rag chew with you on simplex on both bands and see what happens.

Dan
KO1D
ex: M0CDR
K9KJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 11:15:54 PM »

Remember that coax feedline loss is critical at VHF/UHF. Use good coax like LMR-400 if your length of coax is less than 70 or so feet, and keep it as short as possible to reduce loss.  
NA0AA

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2007, 09:22:29 AM »

Well, I think either would work, but with 440 you do get some additonal antenna gain over 2 meters, as well as lots more room for simplex operation, if that is what you want.

I'd suggest that unless you live in relatively flat terrain, that 10 miles might strain a mobile on receive so repeaters might be useful or necessary with either band.
K9RQ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2007, 01:42:57 PM »

70 cm would be my easy choice.  Since you are in a built up area, there will be far less noise on 70 cm than on 2 mtrs.  Plus, the usual advangates...more gain on a dual band antenna, less activity (typically) on the band, etc.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: