Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: DOS Satellite prediction Software  (Read 937 times)
WA9SVD

Ignore
« on: February 20, 2003, 02:09:59 AM »

Hi,

I'm looking for a DOS based Satellite Pass prediction program that will run on an XT compatible with only 512kB memory.  I've already tried the Satellite forum.  The programs suggested there either aren't available any more, or aren't Y2K compliant!

I'm looking for a simple program just to give pass predictions, no fancy graphics or real-time display needed.  Just text readout.  It shouldn't be that difficult for some of the older programs to be updated to be Y2K compliant; after all, it's not rocket science... OOPS, scratch that last comment!
    Does anyone know of a program out there?  I use a palmtop computer (Poqet)for portable use and while it's great for logging and general note taking, I don't have a satellite program.  I bought Quiktrak from AMSAT a few years back, and that worked, but it's not Y2K compliant, and no longer supported.
     Any suggestions will be appreciated.  Thanx.
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2003, 09:10:22 PM »

Check:
http://celestrak.com/software/satellite/sat-trak..shtml
There is some Palm programs there besides DOS, but you will need to check if they are Y2K
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2003, 09:13:18 PM »

Link should be:
http://celestrak.com/software/satellite/sat-trak.shtml
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2003, 06:50:53 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  Unfortunately, done there, been that.  The programs are evidently not Y2K compliant.  I'm in the process of contacting authors of various programs to see if they have or plan an upgrade.  Only one so far has even replied, and has said "I'll work on it when I get time..."  (At least that one person was polite enough to answer.)
K0HZI

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2003, 08:35:03 PM »

For the XT, STSPLUS looks like it will work.
http://www.dransom.com/stsplus.html
Ran STSPLUS for quite a few years starting with a 486 on DOS. Should be Y2K.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2003, 07:45:46 PM »

Hi Jerry,

Unfortunately, STSPlus won't run on the Poqet PalmTop.  It only has 512kB memory.  I've searched for the original STS Orbit program from Dave Ransom, but it's so old, even if it will run on an XT, it hasn't been updated to be Y2K compliant.  (Dave Ransom can't do EVERYTHING!)  I use STS Plus on my main computer, but it needs more that the 512 kB in the PalmTop, which I like to use portable.  It will run a couple of weeks on a pair of AA alkaline cells; a bit less if I use it for packet.  
    Thanks for the reply.  73
Larry WA9SVD
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: