Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Difficulty programming new Olympia P324  (Read 3409 times)
WQCC256

Ignore
« on: May 12, 2009, 12:07:32 PM »

I wonder if anyone has any experience with this new business UHF radio.

I am using a serial <-> usb adapter, and every time I fire up the software with the radio on, it crashes.

Any thoughts or knowledge on this radio?

If there is some special key combo I am supposed to hit while turning it on, I don't know about it.

Olympia could not help me, they referred me to where I bought the software/cable.
K6SRP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2009, 02:00:36 PM »

What's your OS on the computer?
Most software has MASSIVE issues with Vista.
I have not been able to program a radio yet using Vista
WQCC256

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2009, 02:57:32 PM »

I tried Vista, XP and Windows 2000.  
K6SRP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2009, 05:49:05 PM »

Does the computer recognise the usb adapter then you plug it in?
And what happens with the software if the radio is NOT plugged in and you start the software?
WQCC256

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2009, 04:59:54 AM »

The computer sees the USB adapter and declares "This device is installed and working properly".  When I open the software with the radio off it opens up. The second I turn the radio on it crashes.  Weird!
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2009, 07:16:39 PM »

Not all serial <-> usb adapters work the same.  Even in industrial applications we have trouble finding a working combination.  Try, try, and try again.

Mike
N1QKP

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2009, 07:22:13 AM »

Don't expect it work! Olympia has NO product support. My dealer told me to ship everything back for refund.

I bought this radio to be used on our licensed GMRS repeater for my wife. She does not like the big Motorola bricks I normally use.

This is where I am at:
I got the program to work via the computer's build in SERIAL port after changing its hex address numerous times. I could not get it to work with my USB converter.

I can program most frequencies, but it appears to be blocked from GMRS freq range, which I find strange. However an error message appears that the frequency is between 462.5375 and 462.7375. I also get the message at +5Mhz. Have not found a way to bypass this.

Ham band appears ok.
WQCC256

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2009, 08:03:11 AM »

I'm sorry, I did not reply to this after I figured it out because I thought I was the only person in the world with this radio.

Yes, it is surprising (although I am impressed) to see they blocked GMRS frequencies, considering they did not mention this anywhere in their literature or advertising.

With regard to my programming, someone sold me what I am assuming is an illegal copy of the CD and an off-brand USB converter.

I purchased the genuine Olympia KIT and it works perfectly.

I hooked it right up to COM1, and it is flawless.

Overall, I think it's a neat radio.  It is very small and light. One concern I had however, was the radio was sitting for a week, OFF, and the battery was DEAD when I went to turn it on.  Maybe something to keep in mind.

I plan on using this for HAM when I get my license.  I may use it with other towns that use UHF for their volunteer emergency services (as a [brand new] volunteer FD here in my own town).

As far as GMRS... well since this is a Part 90, and not Part 95 radio, it would be technically illegal to use this.  This being said, I'll send you a PM.
WQCC256

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2009, 08:05:04 AM »

I can't figure out how to PM you.  Feel free to PM me, or if not, you can e-mail me @ my FCC ULS call sign @ cdevco.net.
WQCC256

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2009, 02:52:13 PM »

Here is some additional info on the Olympia P324 radio:

http://xj.cdevco.net/olympiap324.php
WQCC256

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2012, 03:45:47 PM »

Anyone know if you can program this radio to amateur frequencies?  It is advertised as 450-470mhz but the software seems to let me go down to 406mhz.    I'm wondering if I could program 446.00 or others in there without bricking it?
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: