Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: VHF spacing on TM-V71A  (Read 6203 times)
WK5H

Ignore
« on: June 28, 2009, 09:22:17 AM »

I work part time in law enforcement, and on occasion, will be in my personal vehicle, and have a need to talk on the VTAC frequencies our county uses. (I have also made the appropriate mods for extended TX).

The problem is, the steps available on the TM-V71A only go down to 5KHz.

One frequency (among a few others) that I'm unable to program into my radio is 155.7525; I just can't find the correct step that will let me program it in.  I understand that this is considered narrowband, and have even set the modulation to NFM, but, still no luck.

I'm guessing I'm either not understanding the band plan, or am at the limits of my radio.

Would someone be able to explain to shed some light as to why I'm hitting this wall?

Thanks in advance!
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2009, 10:40:59 AM »

Ignoting the legal issues of using a non FCC certified (formerly Type Accepted) radio. your best bet would be to use 155.750 or 155.755 in wide (5kHz) vs narrow (2.5 kHz) mode and see if that was intelligible.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2009, 01:17:56 PM »

um, Ignoring...
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2009, 02:10:33 PM »

What you want to do is illegal, simply put.

You cannot legally use modified amateur radios on any other service except MARS. Doing so can (1) cost you your ham license, (2) get you fined for illegal operation and (3) cost the LE agency that lets you do it THEIR license -or any combination of the three.

If you need to talk to an LE agency, use a radio that it type accepted for that service. Used radios that are accepted for LE use are available all over  the place for $100 or less.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
WK5H

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2009, 09:43:48 PM »

Well, chalk one up for me in the "ignorance" catagory.

I was completely unaware of this, and figured I was able to do so with my radio as long as I have authorization from my department.  

But, as I have to tell myself as I have told many a person who has broken the law out of ignorance, "ignorance of the law is no defense".  It was my fault for not fully investigating what I was attempting to do.

My apologies to everyone for asking this, and I can assure each of you, I will not be continuing to try to use my radio to transmit on commercial frequencies even if I am part of the department in which the frequencies are assigned.  I will keep my radio for use in what it's purchase was intended for; amateur radio, and amateur radio only.  I will look for a type accepted radio for my personal vehicle for when I need to have contact with my department when I am not in a county "official" vehicle.

To note, I feel very sheepish being an officer of the law, and realizing that I myself was attempting to commit a very illegal no-no.

Again, my sincere apologies.  I realize that people like myself are what cause problems for those who do everything inside of the law, and have to deal with the consequences of actions from ignorant fools like myself.

To sum it up, I should have known better, done some more research ahead of time, and I only feel lucky in the aspect that I wasn't actually able to go through with what I was attempting.  In all other aspects, I feel very very stupid.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2009, 10:02:01 AM »

No problem. You made the same assumption that lots of new (and more than a few not-so-new) hams make.

Your amateur license only covers amateur radio frequencies and doesn't give you permission to use the radio anywhere else, Even use on MARS (Military Affiliate Radio Service) frequencies requires a separate license issued by one of the three MARS branches. That is the only service you can legally use modified amateur radios on.

All the various radio services have specific rules as to what radios can be used on those services. It is sometimes a little confusing to keep what you can do where straight. Smiley

Thanks for realizing that I was not trying to give you a hard time, but keep you out of trouble. Smiley

Have a good week.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

A smoking section in a restaurant makes as much sense as a peeing section in a swimming pool.
KD7QLU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: June 29, 2009, 03:12:14 PM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a good and legal alternative would be to get something like a Motorola HT1000 used off of Ebay.  You can find one with a charger and free programming for around $150.  You can have it programmed to include your LE frequencies and your favorite amateur VHF repeaters.  The only caveat would be that if you leave Law Enforcement, or ever sell the radio, you'd want to delete those LE frequencies off the radio.
W3LK

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: June 30, 2009, 07:20:20 AM »

Yup, that's an excellent alternative, perfectly legal and done all the time.

Lon - W3LK
Naugatuck, Connecticut

K9AOG

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2013, 07:45:58 PM »

So, looking for his answer. I am in MARS and need narrow band operation. The MCP app does not allow. Any way to narrow band this radio or do I need to buy another radio?

Steven K9AOG

What you want to do is illegal, simply put.

You cannot legally use modified amateur radios on any other service except MARS. Doing so can (1) cost you your ham license, (2) get you fined for illegal operation and (3) cost the LE agency that lets you do it THEIR license -or any combination of the three.

If you need to talk to an LE agency, use a radio that it type accepted for that service. Used radios that are accepted for LE use are available all over  the place for $100 or less.

Lon - W3LK

Naugatuck, Connecticut
KQ6Q

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2013, 09:26:28 PM »

to the original poster, WK5H - while you can't transmit on your LE frequencies, it is NOT illegal to listen on them. Your question was about tuning steps. check your radio's manual, you may be able set the closer frequencies (2.5kz steps) by entering the frequency from the keypad rather than using the tuning knob. I know this is the way my Icom T-81A and 2720H work.
KB2VUQ

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2013, 09:39:27 PM »

While in vfo mode, select menu item#101 and see if you can change the step size to  6.25khz
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2013, 04:45:52 AM »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a good and legal alternative would be to get something like a Motorola HT1000 used off of Ebay.  You can find one with a charger and free programming for around $150.  You can have it programmed to include your LE frequencies and your favorite amateur VHF repeaters.  The only caveat would be that if you leave Law Enforcement, or ever sell the radio, you'd want to delete those LE frequencies off the radio.

This is exactly what I did--although I got a Kenwood TK880 mobile rig (UHF, ~ 470 mHz)--when I was a member of my local EMA.  The advantage there is that the Kenwood programming software is freely available.  The rig cost me about the same, $150.

Of course, when I left the EMA service, I removed the radio from my vehicle and cleared its programmed frequencies.  It's used strictly as a receiver now--when I use it.
AK4ZW

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2013, 09:58:59 AM »

Ok, Sir. I am going to let you off with a warning, but don't let us catch you doing it again or you are going down town.

(LOL, always wanted to say that to an LEO. All in fun.  Wink ) Be safe.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: