Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: looking for IF-10d schematic diagram?  (Read 1807 times)
ON4BDS

Ignore
« on: May 28, 2003, 03:16:34 AM »

Hi!

I am looking for the schematic diagram for the Kenwood IF-10d interface. I want to CAT-interface my TS-50, but the IF-10d is a disclosed item at Kenwood.

I managed to find a diagram of the IF-232 by TK5EP (http://tk5ep.free.fr/), which converts the RS-232 to TTL level, but I have no clue what the IF-10d does. I believe the only thing it should do is buffer the 4 serial data lines (RxD, TxD, CTS and RTS) available on the TS-50's CN6 connector, and perhaps also invert (some of) them. Does anybody own an IF-10d, and wants to take a look at the board layout and the ICs that are on it?

Also, does the TS-50's serial data interface need to be enabled somewhere in the software menu? I see no signals on it whats however, even when I pull CTS high.

Has anybody managed to homebrew a CAT interface for the TS-50? I'd be interested in any suggestions you might have.

Thanks,
David ON4BDS
joelle_dick@hotmail.com
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2003, 08:21:10 PM »

Dave,
    Does your radio require the addition of a PC board, or merely to plug in a few Integrated Circuits?

It also seems strange that Kenwood would discontinue the interface; the TS-50 is still advertised as a current model here in the U.S.  Perhaps you can order the interface kit through Kenwood's distributors here.
ON4BDS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2003, 11:43:19 AM »

Larry,

The TS-50 has got the 4 serial control lines from the internal microprocessor available (RxD, TxD, RTS, CTS). These are terminated on a tiny connector (CN6) on the radio's microprocessor board.

Kenwood states that you need to plug in an IF-10D, which is a little black box that screws to the side of the TS-50. It is plugged into CN6 inside the radio, and accepts a DIN plug at the other end. It is my belief that all this IF-10D does is buffer and perhaps invert the 4 serial control signals.

In addition to the IF-10D, a separate IF-232 is needed. This is in fact a circuit that converts the serial signals from a TTL level (+5/-5V, coming from the IF-10D) into RS232 level (+10/-10V, going to the PC's serial port). This is the same unit that's used for other Kenwood radios such as the TS-850. I have already homebuilt this unit using a MAX232.

To summarize, what I need is a circuit equivalent to the IF-10D. I wonder if anyone has any input on what the function of this circuit is, or what IC's it uses?

There is one (1!) IF-10D available from Kenwood in Germany, but they are asking to shell out close to 100$, which is a bit exaggerated imho..

73's de David ON4BDS

WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2003, 12:20:01 AM »

Hello David,
    It will be difficult to find an equivalent circuit that will connect to the internal connectors of the TS-50.  The external interface isn't that difficult, (as you've found out) but the internal interface provides the serial I/O interface, as well as buffering.  It's not really a difficult interface, but getting the circuit to install into the TS-50 will be difficult, as will be getting the matching connectors.

ON4BDS

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2003, 06:32:03 AM »

Larry,

Thanks for your help. I have the connector to plug into CN6 available. I recuperated it from the internals of a router unit. It even has a cable long enough to lead the signals out of the TS-50, so that is not a problem.

I believe the circuit for the IF-10D should be easy to build, as long as I can find the circuit diagram for it...

Thanks for the help,
David ON4BDS
ON4BDS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2003, 06:57:08 AM »

I propose to continue this thread in the Mods And Repairs forum. That should make it easier to follow.

http://www.eham.net/forums/ModsAndRepairs/2170

David ON4BDS
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: