Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: 4 meters in the USA?  (Read 2015 times)
KG4WXP

Ignore
« on: July 12, 2009, 10:24:10 AM »

With analog tv going the way of the dinosaur soon, is it theoretically possible that we could eventually gain access to the 70 mhz band that our british brothers use?

From everything that I've read, it seems to have some fascinating propagation characteristics.

73 de KG4WXP
KE6WNH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2009, 12:09:23 PM »

Probably not without a lot of kicking and screaming.
AA4PB

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2009, 12:33:41 PM »

Somehow I doubt that Congress had ham radio in mind with the move to vacate the VHF TV channels. If someone has the big bucks I guess we could bid like the commercial outfits. A few billion might get us another 4MHz of spectrum.

The spectrum we occupy is now worth one heck of a lot of money. Getting harder to justify based on rag chewing and contesting.
K3WACKY

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2009, 10:19:05 AM »

Here's my take on it,

Someday the TV stations may abandon the low VHF segment for many reasons (see WPIV 6ABC in Philadelphia news stories about TV viewers losing the channel after the Digital TV switch)

Some commercial interests may want the band, but I doubt it. I think they would rather have a band (like 440MHz or 224Mhz) with smaller antennas with higher gain.

It's possible that we may lose the rest of the 220 band and gain space in the 4 M band in an exchange or compromise. It would be nice to have 70-75 MHz.

Other countries (mostly Europe) have 4M, but who else has a 220MHz band besides us?

If enough countries had 4M, equipment might not be so expensive or hard to come by as the 220 band.

BTW, I have a transverter I could modify for 4m if I need to. Smiley
KB2FCV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2009, 11:06:23 AM »

I'm guessing that spectrum will go to the highest bidder. I thought I read somewhere that there are chunks of it already being allocated to public service. I'm sure we come in dead last for any consideration.
KF4HOQ

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2009, 08:24:00 PM »

I just wish that more manufacturers would market 222MHz equipment, either monoband or included in rigs like my IC-706MkIIG.

That being said, I think 4 meters would be a pretty cool band, too.  If it were allocated, the radio manufacturers would absolutely have to market 4 meter equipment as well in order for it to be a success.
KE6WNH

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2009, 07:10:59 PM »

Oh great... if we had 4m, all it would take is one lid to build a bootleg station which could broadcast to all those pre-digital TVs out there.
AA4ZZ

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2009, 02:30:11 PM »

4 meters is in the middle of US channel 4. While there was some talk early on about broadcasting giving up low VHF; that did not happen. A few stations chose to stay on channel 4 for their digital assigment. So the possbility of a US 4 meter ham band that matches the European assignment is nil.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2009, 05:53:31 PM »

It's hard enough working EU from the States on 50 MHz.

You want to make it a bigger challenge at 72 MHz?

I know transatlantic contacts at 4m would be possible occasionally via sporadic-E because the Europeans often report hearing U.S. FM BC stations over there (88+ MHz), but it's sure not a common occurrance.

I have enough challenges in life now.  :-)

WB2WIK/6
KF4HOQ

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2009, 07:23:18 PM »

My thought process is this.....the more bands allocated to amateur radio, the better off we'll be!!  Our options will open more, fun on a new band, and a larger footprint in the spectrum are just some of the benefits.
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2009, 12:29:02 AM »

As of the moment, I can't get but very few responses on either 6 or 2 meters ssb let alone have another band with little activity on it. There is more on 440 fm than 2 and 6 ssb.
A year ago I had about 25 stations working the bands and now they are gone.
Even  vhf/uhf contesting has taken a dive and you want another band!
There are so many 2 meter repeaters going unsused or very little used that more bands are not an answer.
I realize there is not very much low cost equipment to work 2 and 440 ssb but 6 is in all the late hf radios and still there is not a lot of use on 6, so figure it out!
A neat band is not a parameter for it's use without ops to use it.
What would 4m offer that 2m and 6m would not? It's in between!
2 and 6m work nearly the same tropo distances for me.
I get responses from the same areas on both bands out to about 200 miles.
I suspect those 'few' tv stations on low vhf will not be there in another year or so.
One of the reasons I hear why they think they want to stay low frequency is because they can use lower power and save on the power bill rather than go uhf and have to still use high power to "get there".
There are to many companies waiting to offer new 'toys' and take up frequencies in the low vhf band.
I don't think there is so much commerical interst in the low vhf band because of antenna size and potential 'skip' problems that 6m enjoys at times. Skip would not be welcome on a telephone call thru a cell tower. We have some of that on 2m repeaters now.
My guess is we will have a new set of problems with the toys as time goes on.
Also there are a lot of new ops that are not showing up on the bands with all the low cost vhf radios available.
Local clubs turns them out and never hears from them again on any band.
Stay tuned and read the news about all this.
KE6WNH

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2009, 04:11:17 PM »

That's doubtful, because not all freqs have such great propagation characteristics. Ever experimented with 49 mhz versus 6m? 49 mhz propagation is pretty bad no matter how good a radio and antenna you may have. Getting such bands allocated to hams would be like winning a booby prize.
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2009, 06:48:34 PM »

>RE: 4 meters in the USA?  Reply  
by KM3F on July 27, 2009  Mail this to a friend!  
As of the moment, I can't get but very few responses on either 6 or 2 meters ssb let alone have another band with little activity on it. There is more on 440 fm than 2 and 6 ssb.<

::Wow, that's surprising to me.  What kind of antennas are you using on 6m and 2m SSB???  Here with decent horizontal beams up about 65' on these bands, there's always activity, and if I call CQ I usually get answers.

WB2WIK/6
KM3F

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2009, 04:37:56 PM »

Now now Steve, you know that's not a fair statement to make.
You live 3000 miles away and have no idea of the present state of use of these bands, here.
I grant you that there is more use in the New England states because those are the one that hear me and talk to.
On sunday mornings at 10;30 am the east coast vhf ssb net comes on and no more than an average of 8 older ops that have been around a while ever check in.
Those that do are from Ct, Md, NJ, Pa. and I can hear most of them.
As I just said, the big DX and contest stations are complaining about lack of 2m use. They have a heck of a lot better stations than I do.
Last contact a couple eves ago was 300 miles over the mountains.
You say I don't get out and can't hear. He was running 80 w and I 175 w. and my antenna is not even near what yours or his is at this time but soon to change..
As far as 49 mhz, give me a break. It's a turn of the dial right below 50. There is still equipment in use there.
WMCO

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2009, 08:42:54 AM »

Will not happen, 4m will be sold to comercial interests..that is what all the switch to digital was all about.

John
Pages: [1] 2 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: