Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Yaesu vx-7r VHF marine channel  (Read 3684 times)
PATVISTA

Ignore
« on: September 06, 2005, 03:09:15 AM »

is that way to setup so I can use my Yaesu to talk on Marine Frequency?
N3JBH

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2005, 07:28:27 AM »

Yes. But it be cheaper to just get a Marine ht then to pay the fine when you get caught.
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2005, 06:07:02 PM »

Yes, but using your modified ham HT on marine frequencies is illegal and you could easily lose your amateur license as well as be fined about 50 times what a marine HT costs

Get a proper marine radio and save yourself some grief. They are not that expensive.

Lon - N3ZKP
Baltimore, Maryland
N3ZKP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2005, 06:09:33 PM »

hmmm...

No name, no call sign ...
DROLLTROLL

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2005, 08:04:02 PM »

"hmmm...

No name, no call sign ..."

Yeah, don't you just hate that;-)
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2005, 10:01:33 PM »

DROLLTROLL writes:

" "hmmm...

No name, no call sign ..."

Yeah, don't you just hate that;-)"

Yep, sure do!  Something about the pot calling the kettle black comes to mind?

Dennis KG4RUL
KC0NDI

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2005, 09:15:23 PM »

Yes, you can. If you go to www.mods.dk, you will find the modification(s) that will open up your HT to TX from 140 to 174 MHz, obviously covering the 156-157 MHz marine band. Keep in mind that what everybody else has told you is true; it is most definitely a violation of FCC Part 80 type acceptance rules to use your HT on the marine band, and the fine for getting caught is HUGE; having said that, however, in the real world, your average boater (or Coast Guardsman, for that matter) probably doesn't know that, of if they do, could care even less; all they would be concerned about is that you have a radio that works when needed. Anecdotal evidence I have gathered from my experiences on the busy St. Croix River between Minnesota and Wisconsin has shown a healthy mix of Icom V-8's and Yaesu VX-150's thrown in with the Unidens and Raytheons on a lot of boats. From what I have seen there, the undisputed king of the illegit rigs has to be a modded Icom V-8000. This 75-watt powerhouse still manages to pump out about 55 watts on the marine bands, more that twice the power of legitimate radios. Mated to a 5/8 wave Shakespeare antenna on the bridge of large cabin cruisers, they can bend ears for 20 miles around with authority.
Like I said, you probably would never get caught. Although, if you're going to be out on the water a lot, you would be better off buying an inexpensive Uniden or Humminbird marine HT than using your nice VX-7r, just for the fact that stuff in boats tends to get beat up a lot (sand, fish guts, spilled beer, etc.) I have seen them as low as $69.00 at places like Cabela's.
KD0GQX

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2009, 12:45:19 PM »

Why is it illegal? I have a Yaesu VX-8R and it is the sweetest sporting radio on earth except that I can't communicate while fishing with buddies on marine band. What's the big deal? Why not make a radio that can transmit on all the bands e.g. CB, marine, Ham, etc.

M.
KB1LKR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 01:33:30 PM »

Because, in the USA, the FCC has EXPLICITLY prohibited it. Rules and penalties in other countries may vary -- check locally if you're not US based. Partly this may be due to the expensive certification testing (was Type Acceptance) that other radio services must have their equipment tested to, perhaps others could expand on the regulatory differences.

It is frustrating though, I can't disagree, to have to use two transmitters, fortunately waterproof VHF marine HT's (and mobile marine Transceivers) are not that expensive.
KE6WNH

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2009, 04:32:27 PM »

If it was illegal, you'd think Yaesu would have designed a block into the CPU to make the radio unmodifiable for marine VHF use.

Oddly, no one has brought up the question of what happens when you're in a MAYDAY situation and your modded VX-7 is the only radio on board which you can use to call for help on Channel 16. The FCC says that in a life or property threatening emergency, anything goes... remember?
KG4RUL

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2009, 08:26:54 PM »

"If it was illegal, you'd think Yaesu would have designed a block into the CPU to make the radio unmodifiable for marine VHF use"

Often, a range of frequencies that are assigned to, say the Marine Band, are used for other purposes in other parts of the world.  From a manufacturing perspective, making a single CPU, with common firmware, that is jumper programmable for these unique situations, is done purely for the economic reasons.
KG6ECO

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: October 02, 2009, 01:32:29 PM »

I started rowing in Marina Del Rey, CA (Los Angeles Area.)
I already have a few HT rigs that I can easily modify to Tx on Maritime band; bear in mind, I do not intend to use it for QSO on maritime frequencies; However if I have an emergency I could use it to summon help!

Since part 97 indicate that anyone can use a ham band (I assume the same for maritime bands) in case of a life and death situation!

I.M.H.O FCC should allow any emergencies on any frequencies (ex: Ham, FAA, Maritime, etc... )to be handled any which way possible. Which I'm sure they do, however my point is all these emergency frequencies should already be programed in all rigs from the factory.

Just my 2 cents.

Ardy Ghassemi
KG6ECO
KD4LLA

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: October 02, 2009, 08:33:31 PM »

I think it is because the FCC thinks it needs to control everyone.  The FCC lost control in the Seventies when CB radio overwelmed the agency.  But what you find out in the real world is that the FCC, nor any other government agency, cannot keep track of what they got now.

Mike
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: