Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Terminal Software  (Read 1493 times)
KC8RXE

Ignore
« on: August 05, 2002, 10:22:41 AM »

So what exactly does it take for software to run a TNC? Do terminal programs just send straight ASCII data to the TNC? I'm going to be writing my own terminal program strictly for the fun of it, and am wondering if there are special commands that need to be sent to the TNC or if there is a place to find this information. I've already checked out TAPR.ORG, and am looking for other sources.

Regards,

James KC8RXE
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2002, 06:03:46 PM »

If you are actually smart enough to write your own software, you should be able to answer your own question.

I'm rusty on this, but I think it depends on the model of the TNC.   I know that my old PK232  had a "host" mode, I believe that is correct, with which you could use generic terminal of some sort, but otherwise, you have to use software written FOR the TNC, such as Pacratt or whatever it's called.

Seems to me the little Baycom modem will not even operate with a terminal program--you have to have software written for the TNC, and the PK232 software will not work.  

On the other hand, I have one MFJ packet only TNC which as far as I know ONLY uses a terminal program, and not it's own software, as does the PK232.

I don't even use these anymore, and don't use Packet at ALL anymore, so I'm pretty rusty on them.
W7DJM

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2002, 06:03:48 PM »

If you are actually smart enough to write your own software, you should be able to answer your own question.

I'm rusty on this, but I think it depends on the model of the TNC.   I know that my old PK232  had a "host" mode, I believe that is correct, with which you could use generic terminal of some sort, but otherwise, you have to use software written FOR the TNC, such as Pacratt or whatever it's called.

Seems to me the little Baycom modem will not even operate with a terminal program--you have to have software written for the TNC, and the PK232 software will not work.  

On the other hand, I have one MFJ packet only TNC which as far as I know ONLY uses a terminal program, and not it's own software, as does the PK232.

I don't even use these anymore, and don't use Packet at ALL anymore, so I'm pretty rusty on them.
KC8RXE

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2002, 05:11:00 AM »

> If you are actually smart enough to write your own
> software, you should be able to answer your own
> question.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see!  ;-)

I find that it's always prudent to ask if someone else has already solved the problem, because it can save you several months worth of coding.

KC8RXE
WA4PTZ

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2002, 01:49:32 AM »

There used to be terminal programs called
"Packcom" and "YAPP" that we used for Packet
back a few years ago. They were shareware.
I'm sure they have come out with many more
since then. But it doesn't sound like you have
looked and it doen't sound like you can write
your own.
 73 - Tim
KC8RXE

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2002, 12:49:30 PM »

This really highlights my experience as a new ham. When you ask questions, the "experienced" hams are more interested in insulting you and criticizing you for asking questions. I've got the basic host mode part of the program running and functional. However, if this is an indication of the general attitude of ham packet operators, I'm not sure I want to dig any deeper into the digital modes...

KC8RXE
N4ZOU

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2002, 02:26:44 PM »

You can use any terminal program with a TNC of any type. Examples are Hyper terminal in Windows, Procomm, and even the built in terminal program in a Tandy TRS model 100. There are software packages made to use with specific TNC's like the PK-232 and Kantronics. These use the special software burned in the TNC's eprom. PK-232 is "HOST" mode and uses special commands between the TNC and the software. HOST mode makes operation with the PK-232 tnc easy for the operator. It's sort of like going from a DOS type operating system to a graphic type operating system. The software takes care of all the commands normaly required to do tasks like entering the selcal for linking to an Amtor station. With a standard or dumb terminal phone type terminal you would press ctrl-c and enter to get the TNC in command mode, then enter at the TNC command prompt CMD:selcal nzou (my selcal ID)and then enter. The TNC then keys the transceiver and starts trying to link to the Amtor station with the nzou selcal ID. In HOST mode you would simply click your mouse on the link button in the software, a box opens up and asks you to enter the stations selcal and when you click on the OK button the link operation starts. If you want to write a program for a pk-232 you will need the pk-232 tech manual to find out how to write the terminal program for HOST mode operation.
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2002, 07:07:28 PM »

Hi Jim,
    Don't pay any attention to snide remarks.  There are a few terminal programs out there that are simple to use, and should work in a DOS window.  (As I said, they are simple.)  I've accumulated a few over the years, and if you e-mail me at:  wa9svd@juno.com and describe what you want the program to do I can point you in the right direction.  
    Welcome to Amateur Radio, and Congratulations on Extra.  (I just upgraded last month after 35 years.)
73,  Larry
WA9SVD

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2002, 02:55:58 AM »

Hi,

Windows 9x operating system already has a terminal program, if this is any help.  You may have to re-run the install from the Windows CD, but it's called "Hyper-terminal" and I've used it to control a Kantronics KPC-3 TNC, so it should work with most other hardware-based TNC's.  Good luck.  WinXP, you're on your own!
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2002, 03:15:59 PM »

Hi Jim,
  I can't help you either. I used an old Pacterm program that came with my old Kantronics unit. As for the ones who left the lousy remarks, ignore them and don't think they speak for me, Larry or many others. The woods are full of dodos who "say" they have all the answers and and offer no help. Keep on keeping on. Congratulations on the license.
Frank
KL7IPV
KC0MJX

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2002, 12:41:53 AM »

Hey James,  I dunno if you're still watching this thread or not, but I'll put my 2 pesos in anyhow.

I too am relatively new to the HAM community, being young in years comparatively speaking (to the old timers), and young as a HAM has also graced me with a flogging or five by those who seem to think "us young whipper snappers" are only seeking the easy answers and refuse to work out the solutions ourselves...  I beg to differ.

Regardless, for every 1 person out there who has a bitter attitude, I've also met at least 10 HAMs who were more than willing to spare me a minute of their time to give me advice, information, direction, and guidance in many of the different facets of HAM radio.

You see, that's the thing that drew me to become a HAM more than anything... the sharing of knowledge, public service oriented attitude, and the general overall humanistic HAM attitude; ethics and courtesy.  Not to mention talking on radios is pretty cool.

I too am a programmer, and am currently putting the finishing touches on a TNC console program, written in Visual Basic .NET, more oriented towards the newer operating system platforms, such as Windows 2000, and Windows XP, of which in the spirit of good will and HAM radio, I plan on releasing my beta version next month at the area HAM-fest, hoping to find volunteers to help me work out all the bugs.  I am fully committed to releasing my application for free, of course, within the next couple of month proceeding a thorough testing routing to ensure that I don't distribute software that's going to cause anyone any problems.  (Plus I'm hoping for some solid feedback from my beta testers in order to facilitate all the features everyone needs.)  

I have encountered some roadblocks during development of this application, and have conquered most of them via sheer dumb luck and determination, but I would be more than happy to share my resources, experiences, and source code if you are in fact interested and plan on developing your application in VB.NET.  I can also possibly help you with VB 6, as I am familiar with it as well.

Feel free to email me if you would like more information on what I've been doing for my app, or if nothing else you just want to shoot the breeze.

Kurt W.
KC0MJX
KC0MJX

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2002, 12:45:27 AM »

Oops.... excuse the double posting....
kweigel@stjoelive.com

Kurt W.
KC0MJX
KC0NVI

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2003, 11:31:46 PM »

Hi Jim,
I know this was posted a while back, but I am a new ham, and am trying to get into doing some packet in my local area here, mainly for that of ARES. Congrats on your upgrade sir, I hope to one day be able to say the same...

I would like to write a custom terminal/tnc application for use in our ARES group, but am not having much luck locating any open source that I can use to get started with.

I'm not an expert programmer, nor do I know all that I wish I could, but as for those that posted the hateful comments. Well, they are the type that probably should revisit the CB bands, and do the rest of us a big favor (Hi, Hi)

take care,

Randy
kc0nvi

AE4TR

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2003, 10:03:08 AM »

Congrats on the upgrade.  Don't be discouraged by the snipe remarks, just consider the source!  It's nice to see someone who is persuing the learning experience.  There are those who have their own little clique on ham radio and don't want anyone treading on their empire, just keep up the good work.  You are already smarter than they are!  Thanks.  AE4TR
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: