Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Radio at scout camp!  (Read 2430 times)
KD7MRT

Ignore
« on: September 17, 2001, 10:56:28 PM »

Another way that might get some people interested at camp other than summer camp. - After you've used some of the other ways to get scouts/venturers involved have your top youth leadership carry 2m Handy Talkies. Use them for communication. It vastly improves efficiency because Hams understand radio edequitte, plus they have better clarity and range than FRS. Hearing you using them and saying your callsign is bound to get some intersted...and some really jelous. A few members of Camporee staff had ham radios (as well as the FRS that the rest of staff was using) I managed to get a few scouts interested - including one that I know went out and got licenced.
KB9VJD_5

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2001, 06:34:56 PM »

I am trying to start an electronics program at my scout camp.  This will include the Radio Merit Badge.  It is all in the planning stages but I wanted the ham community to give me some suggestions before I make the formal proposal.  Also, I am working on a small if not a non-existant budget so if you know somebody who may be able to donate any electrical items please let me know.   Thanks in advance.

73s,
KB9VJD/5

PS K2BSA at the Jamboree rocked!! (Troop 1827)
KB1FPZ

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2001, 10:57:26 AM »

I also go to scout camp with my troop and have noticed a lack of technical merit badges which would be well within their capability. I have not tried to get them so do the technical merit badges mostly because my dad is a counselor for most of them. HiHi.
I'd think that if you could find funding, they would be open to any suggestions you had. The one major problem with teaching these badges at camp is that they would have to find staff with the knowledge to teach them.

Dan,
KB1FPZ
KC7BDP

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2001, 09:32:08 AM »

One of the issues I've seen is that camps (and Scouts) prefer the merit badges that can be completed during the week's time at camp.  Radio might be a little tough to accomplish in that time, unless the Scout has at least a passing familiarity with the subject.  

Don't get me wrong, it might be possible - if the Scout wants to apply himself to that particular badge.  For years we've had our Scouts working on "The Big E" (Environmental Science) along with a couple of simple badges (Basketry, Leatherwork, etc).  The only hard part we've run into is getting the kid to do his essay; although I've stayed up many a night with the boys who were doing an 8-hour observation in the middle of the meadow at Lost Valley.

Back to radio.  Every year since getting my Ticket, I've been dragging along my VHF gear, antennas and a couple of RV batteries to Camp.  For a couple of years, one of our Scout fathers took along his TS-570 and a dipole as well.  There has been some grumping about the antennas and supports hanging out all over our campsight on the hill ("What kind of 'Nature' is that?"); but more than a couple of boys have been bitten by the bug and have gotten their Radio MB's (and Tickets) "back home" after camp.  And, it's amazing how many Hams I've met amongst the adult leadership, just because they recognized the aluminum and stopped by.

One suggestion - you typically spend a wad of cash on Amateur Radio, and probably also on Scouting.  Combine the two - get a handful of Radio MB pamphlets.  You don't have to hand them out like candy; but every so often you'll find a Scout who you just KNOW would be a good Ham and love it.  It's cheap recruiting of just the quality of people we need in this service/hobby.

Jimmy
KC7BDP
and -once again-
Scoutmaster, Troop 92
Yuma, AZ
KD5OAU

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2002, 05:20:14 PM »

One of the members in the radio club that I participate in is going to philmont this summer he is going to put a 5 watt repeater on Mt Phillips so that the scouts who are licensed will me able to talk to each other. I wish we had that when I whent in 1989

73 James Bailey
Eagle class off 1989
KB0LIV

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2002, 08:06:55 PM »

I never brought a rig to scout camp, but one of my friends will bring his HF gear to camp when his troop goes.  The only problem he's run into is that since his dipole is held up on one end by the flagpole, he has to stop transmitting during flag ceremonies (which isn't a problem, as he's out there taking part).  I remember that when I went to camp my first year, the camp naturalist had his HF gear and got us on the air.  The bug bit HARD!  Been licensed for almost 9 years, scary!

I do wish we'd brought HT's to camp for our licensed leadership.  Of course now that I am a member of a Venturing Crew that does ham radio....:-)

73, and YIS (Yours in scouting)

Thomas "Tom" DeYoung, KB0LIV
Asst. Scoutmaster, Troop 64, Minneapolis, MN
Associate Advisor, K0BSA Amateur Radio Scouting (just changed crew numbers)
BSA National Council employee
KB0LIV

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2002, 08:10:41 PM »

Ah yes....
and how could I forget

Eagle Scout, Class of 1997
KD5OWO

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2002, 10:36:40 PM »

I do remember a scout leader who showed the troop ham radio.  I remember talking to a guy on the local VHF repeater.  Now I have lost much of my time I am out of scouts.  I have to give it to my father for showing me ham radio.  Since when that one leader showed us ham radio I already knew what he was showing.  Still after that there was still I needed to learn and still much I need to learn now.

Steve,KD5OWO
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: