Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: New spoof on ebay...  (Read 1497 times)
KC0QXU

Ignore
« on: October 28, 2006, 10:43:23 AM »

I think this is important enough to "spam" it in several discussion groups.

Thought I'd pass this on.
This was cut and pasted from a transcript of a live discussion I had with ebay security support.

Charley:  Please note that a new spoof has been appearing on eBay which comes in the form of listings. They work just like spoof emails and will ask you to sign in to view the auction. eBay will never ask you to sign in to view an auction on eBay.com. You may be asked to sign in at several other points, including accessing certain categories, but never to view an auction.
KI4EYO

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2006, 01:31:38 PM »

Ebay has a feature called "Guest Account"- http://pages.ebay.com/help/myebay/myebayforguests.html. I use this when browsing the listings and watching items. To bid I will use a totally different account. Safer that way, and guest account is free and requires no password or registration.
KX8N

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2007, 01:47:15 PM »

I've never had any problem browsing or viewing auction details when I'm totally logged out of eBay.  The only thing you need to be logged in to do is to bid, sell, or contact sellers.
ICR71A

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2007, 07:34:44 PM »

Wherever there is an angle, someone will try to scam someone else.  I get the emails all the time that there is a "problem" or that my account info needs updated.  Right.  Just log in by clicking on this handy link...

As an aside, there is a great freeware (and ad free) called "AuctionSieve" (www.auctionsieve.com) that can really expedite and narrow down search categories.  It uses filters that you set for keywords, such as "Icom microphone" or "yaesu filter" that will return any and all auctions, buy it nows, or store items that are currently listed.  The real beauty is that you can set it to ignore all auctions already seen and only see the new ones since your last visit.
KL7IPV

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2007, 09:17:25 PM »

If you get an email that says it is from eBay or PayPal and you are in doubt, forward it to "Spoof@eBay.com" or to "Spoof@PayPal.com" . If it is not theirs, it is a "phishing" email and they will tell you. They will also have the email site shut down if possible.
Frank
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: