The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

donate to eham
   Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Ideas for a STEM HF receive only 'live' presentation  (Read 897 times)
HS0ZIB

Ignore
« on: December 23, 2017, 03:38:52 AM »

So here I am working in Myanmar since 2012.  I work at an international school and in late January 2018, we have a Science Fair.

My high school students are extremely interested in radio communications, but although I have my Icom HF rig with me (imported legally), I cannot yet transmit with it since I'm still waiting for my XZ ham licence (in advanced progress at the licencing office as we speak).

So I have an idea to use it to demonstrate the reception of HF signals.

My first idea is to receive the weather fax signal from Bangkok on 7395 KHz, because that generates a graphical image, and 'pictures' are always interesting.  I have done a test and I can receive a strong signal from Bangkok and the received weather map is certain to interest visitors to the fair.

But what other signals might be of interest?

I can receive plenty of FT8 and JT65 signals on 20 mb.  But no-one will understand the callsign allocation to each DXCC.  It would be up to me to explain that a YB callsign is from Indonesia, JA from Japan etc.

I could display the waterfall and allow visitors to vary the received frequency and see how the received data changes (that would be demonstrated better with the WEFAX, since varying the received frequency will vary the black/white levels on the map image.

Any suggestions for other HF signals that can generate some sort of image or text? (I very much doubt that I will receive any Hellschreiber signals....)
LA9XNA

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2017, 05:48:47 PM »

Get a tv dongle with an down converter.  The you will have Two scores with youngsters, reciever an computer.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: