Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Youngest ham?  (Read 103219 times)
KE5OKT

Ignore
« on: September 24, 2007, 05:17:53 PM »

How can I search for the youngest hams?  My son is 10 and I keep hearing of a legend of an 8 yr old girl.  Not trying to "hhok him up", but he would enjoy talking or emailing with another young ham.
Is there a way to search FCC database by birth year?
JimD
KE5OKT
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2007, 12:37:49 AM »

Send an email request for information to the FCC or the ARRL.
AB2RC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2007, 05:09:34 AM »

You can download the ULS databases here
http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls/index.htm?job=transaction&page=weekly

but they do not seem to have birthdate in any of the files used for the amateur service
KI4PRK

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2007, 10:34:42 AM »

I'm Brennen, KI4PRK. I'm 13. That may be a little old, I dunno, but if you like my e-mail is bpe144@earthlink.net. 73, Brennen
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2007, 01:38:14 AM »

I think the youngest ham was 5 or 6 at one time.
K1CJS

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2007, 07:09:32 AM »

The youngest ham that I've heard of was a five year old, that was a couple of years ago.  It may take a little time, but contact the clubs in your area and see what you can find out.  Another source may be the local boy scout council, or church youth groups.

Talk to the hams on the local repeaters too.  Even though some hams despise 2 meters, for local info, especially local ham info, they can't be beat.  Heck, you may even contact one directly that way.  Good luck and 73.
N3BIF

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2007, 11:54:50 PM »

From the archives

RE: Youngest ham?    Reply
by KD5RNN on April 3, 2002

The youngest ham is a six year old girl in ...i belive california. it was on an arrl article a mont or two ago
VO1GXG

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2007, 06:26:40 PM »

Im the youngest Ham in NL , but not the youngest licensed .
ONAIR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2007, 01:37:05 AM »

Forget hams, what about the 3 year old CBers that parents have put on the air?
N7NBB

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2007, 07:29:49 AM »

Seems like no one is publishing stories about young hams... Mattie Clauson who WAS the youngest EXTRA class at 7 years old, but that was back a few years... she's a teenager now.  Google also has "youngest ham" hits from 2002, 2005, and other years, but now, in 2007 they are all in their TEENS.

BUT - Follow This Link:
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2007/jul/24/pint-sized-communicators/

It tells the CURRENT story (July 2007) of an 11 year old girl and her 8 year old sister who are the youngest hams in Tenn.

That might be a start... I know GOOGLE, and probably the other search engines out there have a way for you to be "ALERTED" by E-mail if a story that matches your search topic is posted... I'd give that a try... just tell them you want an E-Mail if any story comes up about a "youngest Ham Radio operator" or Amateur Radio Operator" and wait for the E-mails to start rolling in...

Good luck, and
CONGRATULATIONS to your young HAM.
CAM
AB5CC

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2007, 01:37:50 PM »

My grandson Jacob,KE5PPT is 9 years old and got his Tech back in July.  He is having a blast.  He got 11 states on 10m back in July and early August.  He also worked 6m and 2m in the latest VHF contest.  We live in Oklahoma also.  His email is good on QRZ.

Kenneth
AB5GU

Ignore
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2007, 09:56:10 PM »

I don't know who is the youngest now. At one time my son Casey, AB5RG, was the youngest Amateur Extra at 8 yrs old. That was a long time ago when the 20wpm code was still the standard. He had his General call KB5UEO at 7 yrs old and received a letter from David Sumner, K1ZZ, at the ARRL stating that he was the youngest DXCC ever.

I've seen several younger hams recently listed in CQ and QST and think one was even 5 yrs old.

Congratulations to your offspring.

Marty AB5GU
AB5GU

Ignore
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2007, 10:15:06 PM »

Also, someone to contact is Carole Perry. She is a school teacher in New York and writes the youth column for World Radio magazine. Carole also hosts the Youth Forums at Dayton and several other hamfests. My sons, Cody, KB5WYJ, and Casey, AB5RG, gave speaches at her youth forums in Dayton and Dallas in 1993 and 1994. They were 7 and 8 years old then. Time really flies, they are grown and out on their own now.

Carole a really great lady and would have the most up to date info on younger hams and "on the air" youth nets.

Marty AB5GU
KD4GDT

Ignore
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 04:43:27 AM »

I've checked around and it's impossible to find out with any certainty who the "youngest" is.  I checked with them and never got a response.  

I do know for certainty that my daughter is at least one of the youngest.  She was licensed at 6 just one week before turning 7.  She's keeping up a family tradition as my wife and I are both licensed amateur radio operators.  
K9AMA

Ignore
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2007, 06:23:23 PM »

Amanda..Af6yl was a ham at 7 and a Extra at 9
 Her brother Isaac was also licensed at 7..he is a 8 year old General now.

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 Next   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: