Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SS-64 PL encoder add on for an old radio  (Read 897 times)
LOSTINTHEWOODS

Ignore
« on: November 25, 2009, 08:21:11 PM »

Hey Gang.  I have an old IC-25A 2 meter radio and am considering putting a SS-64 tone encoder chip into it so I can use it to access the local repeaters.  

I'm worried that I may hurt the radio putting it in, worried that I might connect something wrong and tear something up.  

Has anyone ever done something like this before?  Is it as easy as the internet makes it out to be?  It almost seems to good to be true.

Thanks, as always,
Lowell
KD8MKP
K5LXP

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2009, 08:25:35 AM »

Yep, it's usually pretty easy.  IIRC the 25A has a connector for an optional PL module so you may be able to connect to it directly.

It's kind of a PITA to keep manually changing PL's if you need more than one but it could afford a way to continue to use this old soldier a little while longer.

Mark K5LXP
Albuquerque, NM
LOSTINTHEWOODS

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2009, 08:08:40 PM »

Mark,

Thanks for the reply.  I think I'm going to get one and try to add it on.  would it be ok if I call on you if I get in over my head?

thanks
Lowell  aka...lostinthewoods
KD8MKP
WB2LCW

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2009, 12:47:15 PM »

The tone encoder people usually have install instructions for different radios available on ther web site or they will send you some thing in the mail.

I put one in my Kenwood tr-7400A and It was easy using thier instructions fror that radio.

No permanent changes wew necessary.

it works FB

mike
W9GB

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2009, 03:41:08 PM »

ComSpec will have the instructions for your Icom model.
ANY Land Mobile Radio shop (e.g. Motorola, Kenwood, GE/MaCom, EF Johnson) that works on fire, police, public safety radios in your area should be able to install -- if you are not capable.

w9gb
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: