Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: My First CW QSO!  (Read 1291 times)
NK1S

Ignore
« on: February 17, 2010, 12:41:59 PM »

I finally did it!!! After months of practicing, then deciding to just DO it, then getting nervous, I finally heard a CQ on 7.114 and went for it!

My thanks to Jack, KA4CMC, for being patient with me!

It was fun!!! Now I KNOW I'm going to love CW!

Thanks to all in this forum for your support, not just for me but for all of us newbies.

Jim
KB1RHC
WB4AUW

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2010, 02:54:50 PM »

Way to go, hope you continue to enjoy cw.
AE4RV

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2010, 04:06:34 PM »

Congrats! It really is fun, isn't it?

I got back in to the hobby last year after almost five years away. I do not miss the great Know Code/No Code debate one bit. But I am pleasantly surprised at how many new hams are using CW. I heard one CW op last year who was 17 and using a bug.

Thanks for letting us know. Keep at it, it just gets better.

Geoff
KF7ATL

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2010, 09:16:27 PM »

Congratulations! I've only been operating CW for a few months, but it's great--I love it! I still remember my first CW QSO. K7JAW in Seattle was very patient with me. I was so nervous that I probably only got half of what he said, but it was the most fun I'd had in years--and it only gets better!

Garth
W7ETA

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2010, 09:47:57 PM »

Congrats!

You are now officially an OM.

Nothing like participating in a decades old tradition.  Just imagine.  At one time instant messaging was telegraph lines; communication between continents, CW only.

Bob
WB2WIK

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2010, 06:36:53 PM »

A blessing on your head, Mazel Tov, Mazel Tov!

Now you know that you're not dead, Mazel Tov, Mazel Tov!

Most all like the code once they get in the mode;

It surely is a blessing.

(Greatly modified lyrics from "Fiddler on the Roof." Best I could to.)
KW6LA

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2010, 09:58:16 PM »

Jim,

Its like driving a model T, historical and fun. I was licensed back in 1989 and first contact was on 10 meter
CW. I wanted to feel what the old timers felt back when. It was like Ice water in your vains, nothing like it. Well done and hope to work you on the air !

KW6LA / T2
F5FRM

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2010, 12:50:11 AM »

Hi to all,

>Congrats!
>
>You are now officially an OM.

Lol, that's probably true Smiley

I am also quite a novice in CW. I succeeded in the CW examen in 1997, but I never practised until the last year. End 2008/begining 2009, I decided to go back to the radioamateur world after a decade away, and than I decided to try to succeed where I failed some years ago : CW'ing !

I understand now why some old timers call CW the "magic mode"... Learning and practising CW become more and more funny when you start to understand the music instead of a serie of dih dah... as it become more and more funny when you start to understand complete words instead of a serie of letters. The meaning of the received code appears immadiatly in mind and it becomes... magic !
N5XTR

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2010, 08:52:14 AM »

All right Jim!
Way to go!  
My first QSO was K3Y/7.  Turned out to be Tomas NW7US behind the key, who I had worked on PSK31 before.  Man I was so nervous I could have soiled my britches.  Maybe I did pee a little HIHI!

Joel - N5XTR
SKCC # 6417
NK1S

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2010, 04:56:15 AM »

Thanks so much for all the well-wishes, Everyone! Now having made a few more CW contacts, I KNOW I'm lovin' it! I'm already feeling a bit more relaxed ( a **bit**!), and I can't wait for the next one. And the next one...

Hope to work all of you down the log!

Tnx and 73,
Jim
KB1RHC
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: