Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows 7 Preimum 64 bit  (Read 2023 times)
N5WDD

Ignore
« on: December 03, 2009, 09:58:42 AM »

The XYL and I were out doing the black Friday thing a few days ago and I was whining about how I needed a new computer for the shack. Well today as a Birthday/Early Christmas present I was presented a new computer with Windows 7 premium 64 bit OS. I want to know if there are any issues with the Win 7 Premimum 64 softwear and any of the common ham software packages used today, in particular Ham Radio Delux. Has anyone run into any problems moving to the new OS

Thanks
KM4VX

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 04:33:48 PM »

You may want to check the Ham Radio Deluxe web site. Windows 7 is generally incompatible with HRD.Good luck if you can make it work. Most have not been able to get it working with Windows 7.
W4PC

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2009, 08:08:19 AM »

You can run Windows 7 with Windows XP mode.

Here's the video of how to do that

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows7/help/videos/using-windows-xp-mode

Rick - W4PC
http://www.cssincorp.com
VE7IG

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2009, 05:11:16 AM »

You can only use virtual XP (XPM) if you have an Intel or AMD processor that has virtual capability and if you have Windows 7 professional, enterprise or ultimate.
VE7IG

Ignore
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2009, 05:33:43 AM »

Adding to that comment----- you can use XP in a virtual box installed in any Windows 7, just not the one provided by Microsoft and that one integrates beautifully, I don't know about the alternatives.
VE7IG

Ignore
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2009, 05:36:54 AM »

I should say, you might be able to. I haven't tried anything other than XPM as supplied by Microsoft.
W5HOW

Ignore
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2009, 12:25:16 PM »

I would think that it would be a fairly simple matter to partition the Hard drive of the new machine and install XP in a separate partition from Windows 7 if that proved necessary.
N5WDD

Ignore
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2009, 08:30:26 AM »

Well I have this to report, over this weekend I installed HRD on my comp and everything worked except DM780, it would not perform, After going to HRD home site and getting the latest Install Kit it all works fine now, I had some issues with my usb adapter but a search of the driver web site and install of the latest driver every thing is working fine as of now,

Thanks for the info.

N5WDD
WW6L

Ignore
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 02:17:15 PM »

the hrd site specifically states windows 7 is supported.

does anyone care ?  it seems that most wish to spread bogus info and rube goldberg solutions to nonexistant problems.

geez, the HRD site is very specific.

HRD is designed for Windows 2000 or higher (XP, Vista, 7)....
KU5Q

Ignore
« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2009, 10:00:47 AM »

"RE: Windows 7 Preimum 64 bit       Reply
by N5WDD on December 7, 2009    Mail this to a friend!
Well I have this to report, over this weekend I installed HRD on my comp and everything worked except DM780, it would not perform, After going to HRD home site and getting the latest Install Kit it all works fine now, I had some issues with my usb adapter but a search of the driver web site and install of the latest driver every thing is working fine as of now,

Thanks for the info.

N5WDD"

=========================================================

I don't use ham radio deluxe. I have been successful getting lots of software originally designed for XP and Windows 2000 32 bit OS to work in 64 bit OS Vista and Windows 7. There are some rare cases for which I've had to do some surgical alterations in the registry, but most worked fine by manually engaging in the compatibility layer of the OS which has been dumbed down very much. Too much software to list here that now works well on my Vista and Windows 7 machines. Of course most of the problems I've experienced in interface/compatibility were hardware drivers. I expected this to be where most of the compatibility problems would be.
K2PBO

Ignore
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2009, 01:37:27 PM »

See my post today. I finally got it working.

Steve
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: