Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: SB-614 Monitor Scope  (Read 494 times)
N8HO

Ignore
« on: December 07, 2009, 10:44:30 AM »

I recently purchased a Heathkit SB-614 monitor scope.  At first the CRT would not show a display because the tube filiment was not lighting up.  I checked the pins filiment pins for 6.3v.  This checked out, so I feel the power supply is in good shape. Next, I took off the tube socket and checked the tube filiment pins for resistance.  They were not open, but I can not rememeber the exact resistance.  I cleaned the tube pins and socket connections with an electrical cleaner.

The tube filiment will light for a couple of sessions and then fail.  I am wondering if the tube filiment is intermittent or if I just need to clean and possibly adjust the socket connections.
KA5N

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2009, 11:15:53 AM »

Try heating and applying extra solder to the filament pins.  Sometimes the solder junction will go flaky over time.
Allen
KE3WD

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 10:24:33 AM »

Tube sockets and pins can get corroded a bit over the years, too.  

Sometimes the overly worn socket should simply be replaced.  

If the rear of the socket is open to the world, you can diagnose rather easily with your VOM or DVM by checking the AC voltage drop from solder lug to the center of the actual tube pin that sticks through.  Should read zero volts if the connection is sound.
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: