Support the site
The eHam Team
Advertising Info
Vision Statement
About eHam.net

Home   Help Search  
Pages: [1]   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Mac vs PC software  (Read 490 times)
K5PU

Ignore
« on: January 25, 2004, 01:56:02 PM »

I know this is not a critical issue, that bottom line features/performance is what counts but...

Why is it that Mac Software seems always much more asthetically pleasing than software developed for the PC?

It can't be the graphic capabilities of PC's. These days video boards can provide the performance/resolutions/color depth of high end graphic workstations.

So why is it PC software has that same ol dull gray windoze look of the 80's?

Compare the following... Note I've not used either one so I'm not comparing *features/performance*, just LOOKS. And I'm not 'picking' on the particular PC version (my apologies to G0CUZ). I only offer it as an example to illustrate the 'standard' Windoze look we've all become so familiar with:

Mac:

http://www.dogparksoftware.com/MacLoggerDX.html

Now that's just PURDY!

PC:

http://www.winlog.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/winlog/images/mapver.gif

Is it just the GUI O/S API (whether it's Mac or PC) that limits developers? Is that the bottom line cause making Windoze S/W look the sameol/sameol? How can that be when I see PC Game GUI screens that are just as nice looking as the MacLogger screen, map, etc.?
N9VKC

Ignore
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2004, 06:06:46 PM »

I have both Macs and PCs.  If I could everything avail software wise for both I'd only have a Mac.  I have to agree that the Macintosh enviroment is so much more "ergonomic".  I think the reason you see very plain PC software and hardware is because you have so many companies selling PC related hard/software.  You don't have one visionary leader or a small creative team driving the entire line, you have bottom lines and sales gurantees and trying to make your product fit in with everyone elses.  Maybe if Microsoft starting designing computers and the software then we "might" see some of the same creativity that we do in the Apple world.

TOASTY

Ignore
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2004, 04:19:59 PM »

you can make the pc look just like the mac if you really want it to look the same.

i think the most major difference is the pc people like performance over graphics.

a lot of the applications i use on an everyday basis are still command line text, no GUI at all, and it's much faster to work with.
N9VKC

Ignore
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2004, 09:15:35 PM »

Toasty,

With all due respect.
 PC users want more performance? I think why the PC market dominates is because it is non-propriatary.  PC's are cheaper in general or at least have been.  Anyone and everyone can make a PC only Apple makes a Mac.  It's the same if you could purchase some off the wall brand name say "Roadmaster" HF rigs blister packed at Wal Mart for $99  sure more people would own Roadmasters than Kenwood Icom and Yaesu combined, that surely doesn't make them better.  If you take a High End PC and a High end Mac is either one really better than the other?  I don't think so,  however a Mac has always been and always will be more user friendly, less prone to virus' (like almost none) and more stable . My current G4 system has had it's operating system installed for 2 years and with daily use by myself at night and my wife all day it has never crashed.  How many of you PC users can say that?  Command line operating systems on either machine are extremely fast and you can't compare command line on one and a gui on the other. I's suggest to anyone deciding between the two to find the software you want to use and the choose a computer that runs that software.  However I'm still Mac biased lol

Chris

(typed on a Mac) lol
Pages: [1]   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: